Game Day The Rot In The Middle

Remove this Banner Ad

.how many times does Hill lay a tackle and the opponent just pushes straight through it. If we could combine Hills skills with McGinnity's toughness then we would have a gr8 player...but as they are ...its futile.

.how many times does Hill lay a tackle and the opponent just pushes straight through it. If we could combine Hills skills with McGinnity's toughness then we would have a gr8 player...but as they are ...its futile.
People talk up McGinnity as if he's one of the best tacklers in the comp.

He gets a high number of them but it's not as if he's putting blokes in hospital when he tackles. Compared with the tackling of Darling or NN, which is far more likely to dispossess the opposition.

Hill doesn't lay anywhere near as many but offers a s**t load more as a forward target.

Newman is also not going to be much of a potent forward threat at AFL level so let's not get our hopes up too much.

We have consistently failed to meaningfully recruit small forwards and this is the result

Bennell has had to turn into a defender because he doesn't have the sideways movement he once had since his knee reco. He also averages only 2 tackles a game, less than Hill.

I'm not arguing anymore, i feel as though you're a lot younger than I and dont know any better
..Hills got no grit m8. Agree to Disagree.
Lets hope that on Sunday the players give 100%...something our crew hasnt done for a while.

I reckon our forward line is fine without Jack Darling in it, possibly functions better without him. Why not run him through the middle of the ground when he comes back. 191cm athlete with good skills. He may not be a natural midfielder but give him half a year he'd be a machine.

I reckon our forward line is fine without Jack Darling in it, possibly functions better without him. Why not run him through the middle of the ground when he comes back. 191cm athlete with good skills. He may not be a natural midfielder but give him half a year he'd be a machine.

yes, because 6 weeks of training allows you to play midfield in the AFL. well played my friend

I reckon our forward line is fine without Jack Darling in it, possibly functions better without him.

Hell no. We are missing him badly. We certainly missed him against the Dockers as he is usually one of our better players in Derbies.

He brings a lot more than just a physical presence to the forward line... Another lead up target, tough defensive pressure and the ability to pull goals out of nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch any half decent midfielder in the afl - watch them snatch the ball and run

Watch jack darling when a ball comes to him fumble it and fart around

Go watch a half decent mid again

Watch jack again

Notice how these two scenarios look different

Stop suggesting jack should go to the midfield. We are desperate for a bb mid - he aint it. Hed be farting around juggling a ball and fyfe etc would just pluck it off him and be gone in a heartbeat.

Yeo, Sheed, Duggan, Shuey and throw in Lamb, That's the future of our midfield.

In years to come Masten, Gaff, Priddis will be dispensable

Priddis will be retired in years to come. Big question marks over Lamb in the midfield too. More likely that Nelson will work his way there.

No Waterman? I think he'll be very important with his contested work.

not sure where to ask this so hope you don't mind a SC related question here...

Yeo obviously played a blinder as a mid this weekend. just read an article that he probably won't stay there due to lack of tall backs. i'm looking at him for my SC team. Any chance that he might become a perm fixture in the middle? or is he just in there whilst Shuey is out? and when is Shuey due back?

thanks in advance.

not sure where to ask this so hope you don't mind a SC related question here...

Yeo obviously played a blinder as a mid this weekend. just read an article that he probably won't stay there due to lack of tall backs. i'm looking at him for my SC team. Any chance that he might become a perm fixture in the middle? or is he just in there whilst Shuey is out? and when is Shuey due back?

thanks in advance.
Shueys not out? He played on the weekend. He was our best/2nd best player behind Yeo

Simpson has stated many times he sees Yeo as a future, tall, big bodied midfielder and would like to play him in the middle as much as possible. As we have so many injuries down back he will/might be required down back against the teams with an abundance of talls and medium talls like Hawthorn, the Kangaroos etc

Shueys not out? He played on the weekend. He was our best/2nd best player behind Yeo

Simpson has stated many times he sees Yeo as a future, tall, big bodied midfielder and would like to play him in the middle as much as possible. As we have so many injuries down back he will/might be required down back against the teams with an abundance of talls and medium talls like Hawthorn, the Kangaroos etc
thx mate. much appreciated.

It looks like our midfield prospects have taken a big step forward with Yeo to the midfield, Sheed getting some games and Duggin looking like our best midfield prospect in a decade. What scares the s**t out of me is Selwoods return to the centre square taking us two steps back. His forced absence - with all due respect - has been beneficial. Also if Simpson plays Yeo in defence than he has no buisiness coaching an AFL team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back