Autopsy The Ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a think...Giles is what we need. Or Giles 2.0. Not as #1 banana, but as the F/R type. Howe and Giles forward with Dawes and Hoges roaming and Maxy as #1.
If we wanted a player like that, Jamar would have been in the team this week/more often this year. Pass on another big lumbering ruck for me.

If we wanted a player like that, Jamar would have been in the team this week/more often this year. Pass on another big lumbering ruck for me.

Could land Giles with a 9th round pick the way Essendon have treated him. Why bother recruiting the guy if they prefer not playing a ruckman at all to giving him a game? May as well just tell the bloke they only recruited him because everyone else was going to be suspended.

He can kick goals and take a good grab, offers more than the Pezz Despencer. He's younger than Jamar and I would hardly call him a lumbering ruck.

Like Cannon said, we could probably get him for a Jeff Garlett deal, whats the risk?

Max Gawn was insane on the weekend, what a brute, his highlights package was very enjoyable to watch. Good luck to the guy in finally getting over his injuries.

With Big Maxy finally stepping up to the number 1 role & Spencer not being as terrible as everyone thought he was, it now seems that Jamar won't play again unless injuries strike. Anyone think we should give the Russian a farewell game later in the season? I think he deserves one.

With Big Maxy finally stepping up to the number 1 role & Spencer not being as terrible as everyone thought he was, it now seems that Jamar won't play again unless injuries strike. Anyone think we should give the Russian a farewell game later in the season? I think he deserves one.
The chances of Max getting through the rest of the season uninjured are about the same as Angus Brayshaw shirking a contest. Jamar will play AFL again this year, don't fret.

Sure, give us back Hogan and you can have Martin.
He's from WA, not sure how we'd give him back to Queensland.
You're more than welcome to have Spencer, Bail and M.Jones back.

58 hit-outs, 19 disposals, six marks, four tackles and a cr@pload of DT points from Maxy today. Yes it was against a weak ruck division, but he's stringing together some pretty imposing games.

I reckon he's our No.1 man as long as he stays fit.

One criticism I have of his ruck work though (and this may be a directive from coaches or teammates) but he directs most of his taps 'shallow', near his feet. He rarely smashes the ball into space like he should considering he gets first hands to the ball more often than not.

58 hit-outs, 19 disposals, six marks, four tackles and a cr@pload of DT points from Maxy today. Yes it was against a weak ruck division, but he's stringing together some pretty imposing games.

How many to advantage? Thought he was good today, but his ball use and decision making still need a lot of work, and some of his taps were pretty miserable (or total lack of communication with the mids).

How many to advantage? Thought he was good today, but his ball use and decision making still need a lot of work, and some of his taps were pretty miserable (or total lack of communication with the mids).

Rucks now get negative champion data points with a tap that goes to the opposition - he's played 5 in a row at 115 CD points a game, should show he's doing pretty well with taps to advantage.

Speaking of which, that's the 2nd best average of any ruckman in the league.

You compare him to the 'form' ruck of the comp in Naitanui and comes out on top in everything but tackles.

Although to be fair Goldstein should be considered the best ruck this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane will throw the kitchen sink at him... But surely he would stay unless there are huge problems with him and Rocket or something.
He's played 50 games and missed 40 (approx) in his career. GC are nervy about paying him 6,7,800k a year to miss every 2nd week. I think Freo went off him for the same reason. All the talk is still that he goes to Brisbane.

We need:

1. A forward/ruck. Pedersen isn't big enough. Frost is a defender. Max King is a while off.
2. A good 2nd ruckman. Jamar is nearly done and Spencer isn't up to it. Leuenberger would be the ultimate luxury but probably not worth it at this stage.

We should invest in sorting one of these problems this year but it's also a matter of right place at the right time. Best available for drafting and trading is still the smartest ploy. If there's no one out there then we probably just use a late rookie pick to make sure the list has balance.

We need:

1. A forward/ruck. Pedersen isn't big enough. Frost is a defender. Max King is a while off.
2. A good 2nd ruckman. Jamar is nearly done and Spencer isn't up to it. Leuenberger would be the ultimate luxury but probably not worth it at this stage.

We should invest in sorting one of these problems this year but it's also a matter of right place at the right time. Best available for drafting and trading is still the smartest ploy. If there's no one out there then we probably just use a late rookie pick to make sure the list has balance.
Pedersen does fine as a forward/ruck, Frost could definitely grow into the role with his athleticism.

I was a massive supporter of Max this preseason - I really thought he'd be our breakout player.

I was wrong and he hasn't done it yet, but I reckon he'll be given at least another 3 years from here.

Don't go too early D16 - he's breaking out now.

He's starting to look pretty special and he's going to keep improving for a few years yet..

Pedersen does fine as a forward/ruck, Frost could definitely grow into the role with his athleticism.
The top 4 teams have:
Zac Clarke (203cm), David Hale (201cm), Callum Sinclair (200cm) and Kurt Tippett (203cm) as their back up rucks. Pedersen is 193cm. He does compete well but if Max King isn't the answer then we need to add another player who might be.

Frost has the athleticism and physicality to have a go in the ruck but I don't think he's a natural forward at all and I'm not a fan of the ruck/def swap. He's an option (if healthy) to play and win games now but he's not a long term solution. He was worth a go to get in the side and give him some development but if fit I imagine he'd have reverted back to the backline group by now anyway. Or at least would've when Pedersen hit his (short lived) purple patch of form.

We need:

Agree ruck depth is an issue - Jon Griffin could be an okay get?

Agree ruck depth is an issue - Jon Griffin could be an okay get?
Signed an extension with Freo and at 29 I'm not interested.

I think the best course of action is to investigate Leuenberger but if he's asking too much then we stick with Gawn and Spencer and add a rookie state league type to get our 3 playable rucks.

Then we do something similar with a forward/ruck player. See what's out there in the draft or for trade and if nothing is good then either stick with what we have or add another rookie.

The priority should be to add depth to make sure we don't end up empty in a position but not to waste any picks or trade currency chasing after a player who's not really an improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back