Autopsy The Ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

What s**t is that?

I think Gawn has talent. His career is drifting.

When you are talented and drifting, you have to question his commitment to game?

He should be challenging Jamar for first ruck yet is clearly third banana.

It's not a slur to question someones commitment to the game. Gary Ablett was questioned at Geelong. He thought he was committed but he was shown not to be.

Gawn is not living up to his talent. Commitment to the game questioned.
Gawn is a 23 year old ruckman, they take time and injuries haven't helped.

Like I said previously, he's one of the few that shows passion we play trying to get people around him up and about, it's exceedingly obvious that he wants this.

He'll be fine.

Could Majak Daw be a cheap trade option at the end of the year? He always seems to play well in the VFL - 17 possessions, eight marks and three goals last weekend - but is stuck behind Petrie, Waite, Brown and Black as tall forwards, and Goldstein and possibly Currie as ruckmen at North.

Surely he'd be desperate for more senior opportunities? He's shown glimpses at AFL level in the past couple of years.

He may not be the dominant, gun ruck/forward we crave but if we can get him on the cheap, I'd back him to be more effective than Spencer and Fitzy, to say the least.

Whenever I've seen him play at senior level he's always appeared lost.

I don't know that he's got a spurt of development left in him which would take him beyond Spencer and Fitzy.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel, methinks.

They are playing Fitz at CHB though at Casey, but Tommy Mac is killing it there in the seniors. CHB is sorted. I don't know why he's not playing CHF. That's where we need fixing in the seniors.
Spencer is the player getting the most glowing reports out of the seconds. He will have to be given an opportunity shortly. It would be hugely deflating if you were starting in the seconds but just being ignored.

They are playing Fitz at CHB though at Casey, but Tommy Mac is killing it there in the seniors. CHB is sorted. I don't know why he's not playing CHF. That's where we need fixing in the seniors.

Adding strings to his bow, making him a better all-round player and just generally developing him further. Lots of forwards have had stints in defence and learned a lot from it. Lets not forget that if McDonald or Dunn go down we need back ups. Pedersen is an option and if Fitz can do it as well then we have some key position depth and flexibility.

Spencer is the player getting the most glowing reports out of the seconds. He will have to be given an opportunity shortly. It would be hugely deflating if you were starting in the seconds but just being ignored.
Playing as a defender gives him another perspective on the game. How to lead, beat an opponent, read the play differently. Not uncommon at all for a KPP to be thrown around a bit. McDonald and Garland were drafted as forwards, as did Dunn, before settling in defence.
Also as Klyntonius said, we have little in the way of depth down back, so if Fitzy is doing well at Casey as a CHB then that's reassuring in case of injuries to McDonald/Dunn.
Spencer won't be given an opportunity unless Jamar goes down (which, given his injury history is pretty likely). It's a matter of making himself hard to remove when he gets that chance that's going to matter for him. Making changes to the team goes both ways. You don't put a bloke in because he's playing well at a low level if there's someone playing well in the same spot at the higher level. Likewise it's hard to push a bloke out for bad form if there isn't anyone who's really pushing to take their spot (see: Dawes, Grimes and Garland last year).

Because if Tommy Mac goes down, we have sweet FA to pick from as backup tall defenders. If not Fitz, I think the only other tall back we have is O Mac.

And Pedersen.

Playing up forward as at present I think? With Frost out for a while, I think we need the defensive cover. Possibly they've just decided that Fitz isn't good enough to make it as a forward at AFL level. Could be trying him in the backline before delisting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would help if they gave him a shot at AFL level first! I don't think VFL form necessarily translates to AFL form. Some people play better when the standard increased and others fall away. I think Fitz has got some elite qualities, his pace for his size, his marking, and a bit of X factor. Plus he's getting his diabetes sorted and presumably this would make a huge difference. If we let him go I can see him doing a stef Martin and that would make me cry.

He's had a few shots and has been erratic. This isn't the toughest team to break into if a player has talent.

It is for him though because really he's going to only be CHB, CHF or FF. hogan and TMAC are a lock on two of those spots and Dawes is probably our highest paid player. For Jack it's probably CHF or bust.

Playing up forward as at present I think? With Frost out for a while, I think we need the defensive cover. Possibly they've just decided that Fitz isn't good enough to make it as a forward at AFL level. Could be trying him in the backline before delisting him.

Playing there presently but he, Fitz and Frost are all on the list as tall swingers - er - swingmen who can play forward or back depending on demand.

It is for him though because really he's going to only be CHB, CHF or FF. hogan and TMAC are a lock on two of those spots and Dawes is probably our highest paid player. For Jack it's probably CHF or bust.

Hogan only locked a spot down in the side this year. Fitz has been around for 5 or 6 years now, and we were playing Frawley as a forward last year. We can't hang on to players forever.

Playing there presently but he, Fitz and Frost are all on the list as tall swingers - er - swingmen who can play forward or back depending on demand.

The second half of that sentence didn't really redeem it. Not sure this is the place to be discussing whether certain players prefer the front or the back 9.

Fitzpatrick came into the side and kicked four in two weeks (rd 22, 23) IIRC.

Yep, then started the next year and struggled, didn't have any confidence and was dropped. That was his moment to grab a spot and hold it. Might get another chance later this season, but if not, what's really the point of another season of hanging on to him to play in the VFL?

The second half of that sentence didn't really redeem it. Not sure this is the place to be discussing whether certain players prefer the front or the back 9.

They're also the three blokes on our list who can realistically provide some relief rucking. I like Fitz. I can understand why you're skeptical but a 200cm mobile player who has shown he can kick goals (albeit spodradically) at AFL level and now learning to defend as well could be a significant asset. This year is certainly a big year for him to cement himself on the list but he only turns 24 next month and I think he'll get there.

They're also the three blokes on our list who can realistically provide some relief rucking. I like Fitz. I can understand why you're skeptical but a 200cm mobile player who has shown he can kick goals (albeit spodradically) at AFL level and now learning to defend as well could be a significant asset. This year is certainly a big year for him to cement himself on the list but he only turns 24 next month and I think he'll get there.

He can certainly look good at times. I think he'll get a chance at some stage this season so I guess we'll see how he goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back