Win Prizes The Scales Award for Essendon Board Poster Of The Year- CONGRATULATIONS LANCE UPPERCUT!

Who is the most worthy recipient of the The Scales Award for the Essendon Board POTY for 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hear hear. Congratulations Lance Uppercut. He may be a two time winner but he is also the inaugural winner of The Scales.

Personally I have suspicions that his name isn't even Lance.

And drugs. He does drugs.

I am gonna go with Bruno this year, he's been phenomenal.
I have enjoyed some of the arguments we've had throughout the season.
Insightful poster.

thanks guys. Whilst it's somewhat nice to get plaudits, it's particularly meaningful on this occasion given the renaming of the award in honour of our late friend The Scales, and in light of the tragic circumstances of his passing. I'd like once again to pass on the thoughts of all of us to the family of The Scales, and to communicate how much richer we are for having had him in our community, even for a relatively short while.

And of course it's worth repeating the message that no matter how dark a place you go to, no matter how bad things seem, please try to remember it's a journey not a destination, and please try to talk to someone.

Winning this award is particularly significant for me for three reasons. Of course, firstly it's an honour to be the inaugural winner of the new award, and even more so given I held The Scales in a very high regard.

This is very closely related to the second reason for the personal significance of this to me. I am sure the reason some people voted for me was the input I've had from an EFC perspective into the ASADA saga, both here and on the the HTB. This is also an issue that The Scales was particularly passionate about, and it was on the HTB that I first became aware of his contributions, and where he quickly earned my respect for his obvious intelligence and his way with words. I read any contribution he made with interest and more often than not found it extremely thought-provoking. He was, in my opinion, a particularly talented debater and wordsmith; who could both build a very compelling argument as well as make an opponent look decidedly silly with his well-constructed reasoning and his acerbic delivery. The Scales was a warrior, no doubt about it, and this leads to my third reason.

The Scales fought fair, but he fought hard. He was a respected poster, if probably not well liked by some opposition posters! One of the most touching gestures in the last week was the decision by the North mods to close the Sympathy thread for a week in respect to The Scales, who was a regular in that thread, fighting the good fight on hostile enemy soil. That they saw fit to do this speaks volumes for the respect they had for him, but it also speaks towards the ray of light that can always be found even in the most tragic of circumstances. For me, and I'm sure for others, that ray of light is the sense of perspective that such a tragedy can present. It puts into stark contrast what is important and what is not.

So now, while the sun sets on the ASADA saga - and I am confident we can look forward to a new dawn rather than a long night - it is this sense of perspective that, appropriately, is most enduring; and for that we can thank The Scales and the impact he had on our community. It's what I take away from all of this. For an issue that has seemed like life and death for many of us and opposition supporters over the last 3 years, it is shown up for what it is. A relatively trivial drama.

Sorry for the long reflection, but I am going to look to the future appreciating what is really important in life, and for that I thank The Scales and his family, and wish them all the best in this difficult time.

Congratulations Lance.

A truly deserving winner. Many continued thanks to your stellar contributions on both our board and BigFooty in general.

thanks guys. Whilst it's somewhat nice to get plaudits, it's particularly meaningful on this occasion given the renaming of the award in honour of our late friend The Scales, and in light of the tragic circumstances of his passing. I'd like once again to pass on the thoughts of all of us to the family of The Scales, and to communicate how much richer we are for having had him in our community, even for a relatively short while.

And of course it's worth repeating the message that no matter how dark a place you go to, no matter how bad things seem, please try to remember it's a journey not a destination, and please try to talk to someone.

Winning this award is particularly significant for me for three reasons. Of course, firstly it's an honour to be the inaugural winner of the new award, and even more so given I held The Scales in a very high regard.

This is very closely related to the second reason for the personal significance of this to me. I am sure the reason some people voted for me was the input I've had from an EFC perspective into the ASADA saga, both here and on the the HTB. This is also an issue that The Scales was particularly passionate about, and it was on the HTB that I first became aware of his contributions, and where he quickly earned my respect for his obvious intelligence and his way with words. I read any contribution he made with interest and more often than not found it extremely thought-provoking. He was, in my opinion, a particularly talented debater and wordsmith; who could both build a very compelling argument as well as make an opponent look decidedly silly with his well-constructed reasoning and his acerbic delivery. The Scales was a warrior, no doubt about it, and this leads to my third reason.

The Scales fought fair, but he fought hard. He was a respected poster, if probably not well liked by some opposition posters! One of the most touching gestures in the last week was the decision by the North mods to close the Sympathy thread for a week in respect to The Scales, who was a regular in that thread, fighting the good fight on hostile enemy soil. That they saw fit to do this speaks volumes for the respect they had for him, but it also speaks towards the ray of light that can always be found even in the most tragic of circumstances. For me, and I'm sure for others, that ray of light is the sense of perspective that such a tragedy can present. It puts into stark contrast what is important and what is not.

So now, while the sun sets on the ASADA saga - and I am confident we can look forward to a new dawn rather than a long night - it is this sense of perspective that, appropriately, is most enduring; and for that we can thank The Scales and the impact he had on our community. It's what I take away from all of this. For an issue that has seemed like life and death for many of us and opposition supporters over the last 3 years, it is shown up for what it is. A relatively trivial drama.

Sorry for the long reflection, but I am going to look to the future appreciating what is really important in life, and for that I thank The Scales and his family, and wish them all the best in this difficult time.
Congratulations Lance - a wonderful acceptance post and shows why you are held in such high regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had gotten in time to vote most definitley Lance Uppercut, bloody enormous...quality all round.

Congratulations

Last edited:
Next time i'm in town i'll have to get my Burke St and Collins St ends of The Savoy right so we can share a brew.

You've had a cracker 2014 and it's a deserved award. Well done.
I'd forgotten about that.

Couldn't find each other in a moderately packed bar. Shattering.

Back