Food, Drink & Dining Out The Scotch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the JW labels, I think the Green label goes alright.
Yeah, there may be something wrong with my taste buds but I prefer Green to Blue. Blue goes ok, I just prefer Green, and the price difference is a nice bonus.

Someone was telling me that Green is the only one of the JW blends that only uses single malts to make the final product, the others all mix some blended whisky with some other whiskies. Not sure how true it is, but yeah.

Yeah, there may be something wrong with my taste buds but I prefer Green to Blue. Blue goes ok, I just prefer Green, and the price difference is a nice bonus.

Someone was telling me that Green is the only one of the JW blends that only uses single malts to make the final product, the others all mix some blended whisky with some other whiskies. Not sure how true it is, but yeah.

Green is no longer produced. Sad face emoticon.

It was described as a 'vatted malt' - a blend of single malt whiskies. Most blends mix some cheaper grain whisky with the malt to bring costs down.

Green is no longer produced. Sad face emoticon.

It was described as a 'vatted malt' - a blend of single malt whiskies. Most blends mix some cheaper grain whisky with the malt to bring costs down.
Why would they stop making it?

9krHiYS.gif

Probably just cheaper for Diageo (who also water down one of my favourite drinks, Bulleit, for Aus :rolleyes:).

They can put all of the malts that went into Green int their other blends and dilute them with cheaper whiskies...then relabel at that price point as 'JW Double black' etc.

Because it's JW, they can get away with it.

Green would have been running at a lower margin for them than their current lineup.

Anyone here a fan of bourbon?

For me it's sometimes a nice change-up and I had a couple of nice ones at a tasting.

Bought a Willets Kentucky Bourbon. Very, very pleasant as a dessert whisky.

Probably just cheaper for Diageo (who also water down one of my favourite drinks, Bulleit, for Aus :rolleyes:).

They can put all of the malts that went into Green int their other blends and dilute them with cheaper whiskies...then relabel at that price point as 'JW Double black' etc.

Because it's JW, they can get away with it.

Green would have been running at a lower margin for them than their current lineup.

Pretty much this. Green was a mixture of four 15yo single malts. The single malt part makes it expensive to produce, the 15yo part more so. It's much cheaper for them to use younger malts and blend it with grain spirit to make blended whisky.

If anyone still has an unopened bottle, they'll be worth a bit in the future.

Purchased two Glenfiddich single Malts on my way back through duty free last month, a new range which is 19yo and thy have 3 varieties all finished in different barrels. Mederia, Bourbon, Red wine. I got the Mederia and Bourbon varieties. The Mederia one is especially nice, whole the bourbon casked seems a bit less refined imo. Would recommend the Mederia cask for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any advice for someone wanting to try it for the first time?

Highland Park 12 is a winner that isn't too pricey.

Not too sweet, not too floral, not too peaty...

And not too pricy, a great all rounder. It's probably fair to say that if there's nothing about HP that appeals to you then Scotch probably isn't your drink.

Other good, cheap malts to start with: Glenmorangie 10, Dalwhinnie 15, Aberlour 10, Glenfiddich 12, Cragganmore 12, Glenlivet 12. And so many more.

Tried some Ardberg recently. Was like drinking a cigar. Could barely bring the glass to my lips the smell was so strong.

Peated malts are definitely an acquired taste, and even if you've tried to acquire it you may still not like it. I don't like peat at all. Fortunately there are plenty of whiskys out there that suits my palate.

For anyone interested, my girlfriend picked up a book from Dan murphies I think. Called explore whisky, it has sections in burboun, and Irish and most importantly scotch. And covers many of the popular distilleries and gives a good history if them and then a write up of a few of there vintages. If these sort of write ups interest you it would be worth a look, I'm enjoying reading it alot.sayw it cost 20bucks on the back

Any advice for someone wanting to try it for the first time?

Get the standard Glenmorangie 10 year old - probably the best beginner scotch imo

Also recommend Caol Ila 12 (bit more pricey but an accessible peaty malt)

Next time I'm in the UK, I'm going to allow for three or four days in Scotland just to do a Highland & Isles scotch tour.

Closer to home, what are the best scotch distillery tours & drops in Aus?

Bailie Nicol Jarvie may not be the best in the world but it's a reasonable drop for a blended scotch whisky at a price similar to JD.

Next time I'm in the UK, I'm going to allow for three or four days in Scotland just to do a Highland & Isles scotch tour.

Closer to home, what are the best scotch distillery tours & drops in Aus?
No expert but lark in Tasmania is meant to be up there, water being so good. Place in tassie maybe lark maybe a other one where yiu can make scotch I believe and bottle it and take it home, not cheap though at all.

No expert but lark in Tasmania is meant to be up there, water being so good. Place in tassie maybe lark maybe a other one where yiu can make scotch I believe and bottle it and take it home, not cheap though at all.

Larks, Overeem and Sullivan's Cove are all great Aussie whiskies. I've met Bill Lark a couple of times at whisky shows and he was great to chat to about his stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back