Remove this Banner Ad

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With a rumored favorite Justin Reeves taken by Geelong as their new CCO ( http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-03-02/reeves-joins-cats-in-key-role ) we continue our Search for a CEO so this thread is basically dedicated to all Rumors and news until we find one.

The latest name being thrown up being Michael Brown (Ex Hawks CEO, Cricket Australia GM and Current CEO of 2015 Asian Cup)

_76931158_mike_brown.jpg

We have a history with interviewing this guy for CEO positions:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/why-are-the-bulldogs-upset-at-hawthorn.22616/
Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon has complained to the AFL following the refusal of Hawthorn chief executive Michael Brown to cross to the Whitten Oval.

Smorgon claims that Brown gained access to confidential information about the financially struggling club during four weeks of interviews.

The Age has learned that the AFL supported the Bulldogs in their quest to head-hunt Brown as their new chief executive to replace Mark Patterson, a campaign that ultimately failed late last month when Brown signed a new agreement with the Hawks.

Smorgon, through the recruitment agency John Allen and Associates, met Brown several times during October and agreed to reveal to the Hawthorn chief the full extent of the Bulldogs' parlous financial situation.

Brown, who met the club's finance director and was interviewed by two other Bulldogs directors, is believed to have spoken frankly with the Bulldogs about his circumstances at Hawthorn.

Brown ultimately remained at Glenferrie Oval following a late-night counselling session with president Ian Dicker. A Hawthorn board meeting several days later ratified a new contract for the CEO, whose club posted a $1.5 million profit this season and finished fourth.

The Bulldogs, who could not have survived as an AFL club beyond 2001 without urgent seven-figure assistance according to Smorgon, will lose more than $1.5 million this year.

Smorgon confirmed yesterday that he had also registered his disappointment with Dicker over Brown's handling of the situation. "It left a very distasteful taste in our mouth," he said "We felt that we were slighted, we felt used.

"There were four candidates for the CEO's position and we were very up-front with all of them.

"We were very open and honest with Brown and he was made aware of our situation. I have a good relationship with Ian (Dicker)," Smorgon said.

While Smorgon has not spoken to Brown since he refused the Bulldogs position last month, AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson has relayed the Bulldog president's disappointment to Brown.

Brown, who has strong connections with the western suburbs, played football with Williamstown and owns property in that suburb. He is believed to have been approached by the Bulldogs' head-hunters on the recommendation of the AFL.

"I'm sorry my name has come up in this way," Brown said. "I have spoken to Wayne (Jackson) about it, I have to David (Smorgon), I spoke to Ian (Dicker). Perhaps if I made a mistake it was not to say no straight away. But I would insist that I was up-front from the start regarding my situation at Hawthorn.

"The Bulldogs were aware I could not make a decision until a specific board meeting took place and, in the end, I chose to remain at Hawthorn."

Reading through some Hawthorn forums, I don't think they had that high an opinion of him - with this whack from a fan of both cricket and Hawthorn one of the most scathing:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/take-a-bow-ex-hawk-michael-brown.788193/

Really don't mean to have a go, but what was the thinking behind posting this? Was it intended to be funny? "Hey, I'll just post a picture of an 18 year old kid that was shot dead, because he shares a name with a candidate for our CEO position"

What about Ian Robson? Did great work at Hawks, and was tripped up by Dank and Hird, which is nothing I hold against him.

Anyone know much about Michael brown?
Know a lot about him. Can't explain why I do, but very well respected and a great operator. Been around the blocks a bit too which is obviously what we're trying to get to make up for Garlo's inexperience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets hope this one goes the way of the collingwood personnel

Not a fan?? What have you heard negative about him??

I nothing about him expect for looking at his resume. He has some really big jobs on their so he obviously has something going for him.

no one else heard the same?

I got nuthin' Cleveland. The people I know in the club have no clue who is favoured but they were dead right a few months ago about Beveridge's appointment, which leads me to believe there is no front-runner yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back