The Spangher Factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Well most of those games he didn't play for you. He played for Richmond which at one stage had a kick it Morton in the pocket and let him snap goals as a game plan. He was then cut from Richmond because of his lack of defense and consistency. You took him because you realised he did have talent and might be decent depth and you turned out right. But Jude Bolton can barely move, Tom Mitchell hasn't touched it in a month, Gary Rohan barely touched it on the weekend, B Jack is a gun but is a headless chook half the time and Harry Cunningham sounds like an English test cricketer yet they all get games ahead of Morton. Don't tell us he's better than even the Sydney coaches think he his.
He has been injured. And all those players are far better than your tongue-in-cheek descriptions imply, and have deserved their spots in the team. (Ask Luke Breust how it feels being run down by an English test cricketer BTW.)

I'm just saying he's got a lot more of a proven track record than Spangher (nothing against The Spank!)

He hasn't played many games for us, but he's more than acquitted himself in most of them (notably the finals campaign last year, when it mattered), and showed very little sign of "suspect pressure skills and a lack of consistency". Whatever.

I disagree, both players are at least as good as each other in there respective positions.

He played a couple of good games for you, is still on your list and kicked some good goals in the GF. No one is taking that away from him but really....

Thing is, if Matt Spangher is the worst player in our team then I reckon we're doing OK.

He's not much chop to be sure, but compared with some of the blokes who've got geysers for us since 2008 like Simon Taylor, Brent Renouf, Tom Murphy, and a certain young key defender who has struggled to play on bigger-bodied opponents, Spangher really isn't all that bad. He's no world beater but so long as he gives a contest and doesn't do anything completely stupid when the footy's in his hands I can live with that.

Realistically every club has a Spangher or two on their list.

He has been injured. And all those players are far better than your tongue-in-cheek descriptions imply, and have deserved their spots in the team. (Ask Luke Breust how it feels being run down by an English test cricketer BTW.)

I don't think there's much doubt that Morton has been the better player over their careers, I remember as a Tiger he kicked the winner against at Subi and of course his goals in the GF last year, but ultimately arguing over role players that play in different positions is a pretty useless exercise.

I think his main problem is that he looks so ungainly he attracts criticism and derision pretty easily, much like Zac Dawson who isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised the Hawks picked him up. Even more surprised that he will line up in a QF for them. All the best to him though, hope he goes well :thumbsu:

Jesus-Pals-South-Park.jpg

When i first seen him in hawks colours, he seemed a dead ringer to Jesus off South Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back