Analysis The state of our Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know there have been threads on the individual players in the Roovolution but I wanted to look at it from a club wide perspective.

The sacking of Sando took supporters, media and outsiders by surprise. The immediate reaction by the media was that the AFC was a shambles as they scrambled to learn the real story about the events unfolding, which them caught with their collective peni5es in their hands. As a result there was some damage to our brand. The former Geelong players in the media were very vocal as has been well discussed. However, Sando had made puzzling decisions. I had generally been supportive of Sando given the draft sanctions etc. But his last two interviews made it clear he was lost. He became out of his depth and was floundering. His interview where Cornes questioned him left me with the feeling Cornes was unimpressed with the answers and had serious concerns about Sando as coach. His final interview was not good either. Now we have heard that Roo and others at the club had begun to worry about Sandos ability about mid-year. This was consistent with TMS's inside word about worrying news from inside the club. I admit I dismissed it at first because it truely did sound like news from people with an axe to grind. However, Sando's media performances and the news from the fall out of his sacking are entirely consistent with what TMS was insisting was the case much earlier in the year. Sando's sacking was planned well before hand, it appears, and the end of season reviews just confirmed to the hierarchy what had happened. In addition, it appears that Roo and Chapman had independently been impressed with Walsh for some time. He was clearly their preferred candidate and the media's guess that Goodwin was our man and we missed him proved incorrect. To their credit they did due diligence with a number of applicants, but Walsh's performance confirmed to the panel that they were correct. The transition has been well planned and most importantly kept secret.

Since Fagan's appointment he seems like a strong character. His interviews in the media are impressive and he seems to have a clear direction he would like to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing how Fagan performs as all signs so far are promising. Again, this appointment was a surprise. No leaks indicated who we had chosen and the Media had the appointment of Haysman being "ratified by the board on Monday". He has also already engaged with the fans in a more meaningful way than Trigg ever did in his entire tenure.

Walsh has been equally impressive. He is highly rated and is considered a master at tactics and strategy. He looks to demand a lot of himself and players. It looks like a strong appointment of head coach. A segment of the media have tried to paint the appointment as puzzling because we sacked a coach to replace him with one who has not coached before. Others, including those on the Port Power side of the fence see it as a strong appointment. He has clear ideas about our team structure, tactics and training methods.

Noble is a highly rated list manager. Two attempts to poach him from Melbourne based clubs in 2 years has shown us this. Now he has been promoted, and this year has taken on every role at AFC except perhaps janitor. His moves during trade week have drawn some criticism, particularly from Purple and Rucci. However, the explanation about the trades has demonstrated that there have been calculated moves to keep us in the draft and add much needed depth to the playing list. In addition the delistings have been quite deep. By picking up 2 players for 1 pick downgrade with 2 late pick upgrades seems to have been a master stroke. We have not even lost a pick while getting 2 players. They players have yet to prove themselves, but are an upgrade on players they would replace. Astute move or was it better to do nothing? Anyway, I am looking forward to a much more robust football department. Especially next year as some assistants come out of contract and Walsh has the chance to install new people.

Chapman seemed like a weak chairman. Through the Trigg debacle he seemed like he could not make the hard decisions. Has the departure of Trigg allowed Chapman to make better decisions. Did Trigg and by extension our SANFL overlords run the show and somewhat hog-tie Chapman weakening his ability to direct the club. We have seen a different Chapman. Has Roo joining the board given him the courage to step up? My perception of him has changed slightly through all of this. However, I still ask the question, when do we get a new Chairman?

So where is our club at? Are we the shambles and basketcase the media makes out? What I see is that we have put strong leadership at the head of the club. I have been impressed with Roo and Chapman as they seem to have been the public face of our turnaround. Fagan and Walsh likewise has strong presences and on the surface look like inspiring leaders.

It will be interesting how things pan out from here. There is a lot of water to go under the bridge yet. But as has been stated before, at least we have taken strong action to stop the backwards trajectory that we found ourselves in this year.

Wish I could bonus like this op as a great summary of how I see things too.

Afc administration has been coasting for the last decade & even worse has been a liability since tippett-gate. Afc was never going to achieve any greatness til we got key people in who demanded greatness & more importantly had Afc not their own best interests at heart!

Roo has started off the change, but he knows he can't do it alone nor has he... But given his passion for Afc to successful again he has been happy to be the public driving force... Who has the respect of fans - contrast that with notso smart who is about himself & making waves for the arrogant he'll of it.

Fagan's strong approach demanding the very best team is put in place to facilitate success is a breath of fresh air & consistent with roo's philosophy. They have already begun rewarding the good operators like noble & developing a structure which will clean out plenty of deadwood. Crucial to get off field right for on field success. Just look down the road.

..,which we did for our coach. Another team 1st Guy like Roo & Fagan who has high expectation of himself & his players. Expect hard work or leave! At the end of the day hoe we play is more important than words or spin... Which we have had way too much, particularly when everyone can see our basic structures on match day were amateurishly crap!

Whilst we still have some key positions to sort out, I'm relieved & enthused once again that we are making changes for the better, which gives us a better chance of being successful for a decent period.

Viva La roovolution!

Not sure really. Everyone was doing an excellent job, Sando a gun coach and Trigg was one of the best CEO's in the business. Our list was already in awesome shape for a flag challenge. I'm just worried these new guys with their harder and more success driven approach might undo all the good work that their predecessors had done.

I'm so glad to see diversity injected into the club...
and it appears all above are moving to the beat of the same drum.

will the players buy in?... if they don't they wont survive... if they do success will come quicker.

we are at the fork in the road...
it's time to either step up or step down.

will the players buy in?... if they don't they wont survive... if they do success will come quicker.

Wow - that's some spine tingling stuff.

Old school

VSTone
That diveristy is as important as it is underestimated.

Roo - A footy mind, business acumen, a real clubman.

Fagan - a young driven CEO with a vision for the future. Not a recycled AFL CEO. In touch with reality and the fans.

Walsh - a no nonsense coach. Looking for long term success not just a quick spike for a contract renewal.

Each brings something different but important.

Look - how do I feel about this? A bit like a parent whose kid keeps promising me they won't do it again. I have completely lost faith and trust and that extends to players, coaching and admin.

The Tippett affair forms only part of the overall picture that has seen wasted year upon wasted year, culminating in the last 5 years which, save for 2012 have been the worst in history.

Football clubs exist to win premierships and below that to play an win finals. Take out the 2 flags and our record as a finals side has been abominable.

Whether that's culture, personnel or whatever I don't know. In SANFL terms I feel like I barrack for the Bays ( no disrespect to Bay supporters).

For me 2014 has been the lowest ebb. We have become an irrelevant club who is not taken seriously by the AFL community. The club has taken its loyal supporter base for granted and trades on the old SANFL die hards.

So here we are again with a new coach, a new plan - there is enormous work to do in rebuilding our brand and becoming relevant again.

I hope Roovolution will do that - but I've heard it too many times to trust. Of course I will pay my fees, go to every game and ride every possession - like I always have, but the popping of champagne corks will have to wait

Every coach of this club has taught me things about life, as well as football. But the last one. I envisage this one will be no different, to the last.

I don't think Chapman is running the ship as result of his sketchy media interviews. If he is, I think he hasn't the time.

Ricciuto knows what works. That roothlessness begun almost immediately upon his elevation to the board.

Fagans CV is exemplary, seems over qualified for a club Ceo. Comes across in his media appearances.

I had a great coach like that when I was a teenager. He was my HighSchool coach and we had success.
I've also played in junior sanfl teams that had success through superior talent with the coach not as inspiring.
I'd take my HighSchool coach any day.

This time 12 months ago there was a feeling of hopelessness throughout the AFC supporterbase. The changes that have been made at the club since Roo came on board have exceeded my expectations. Roo, Fagan and Walsh have brought something to the club that we haven't had for a long time - connection with the supporters, enthusiasm, passion, professionalism and best of all, aggression. For the first time in along time it feels like we have key decision makers who are hungry for a premiership first and foremost.

If we don't win a premiership in the next 5-7 years then so be it but at least we know we have been relentless in our pursuit.

This word "relevance" gets thrown around a lot, but from what I can tell, it's just winning games.

Find me a relevant club not winning games - I can't think of one.

I'm not that fussed about relevance in 2014, I'm more concerned about a premiership in 2016/17. We trod water this year, but took big corrective steps in the last month. I'm happier now about where we're headed than I was at the end of the season. I think we're in a good place.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything will improve now we have the SANFL off our backs. (And the fact we dont have to carry the pear and the local competition any more). Plus we have rid ourselves of Trigg , this cannot be emphasized enough.

This word "relevance" gets thrown around a lot, but from what I can tell, it's just winning games.

I'm not that fussed about relevance in 2014, I'm more concerned about a premiership in 2016/17. We trod water this year, but took big corrective steps in the last month. I'm happier now about where we're headed than I was at the end of the season. I think we're in a good place.

Would you call Collingwood irrelevant ?

Look - how do I feel about this? A bit like a parent whose kid keeps promising me they won't do it again. I have completely lost faith and trust and that extends to players, coaching and admin.

The Tippett affair forms only part of the overall picture that has seen wasted year upon wasted year, culminating in the last 5 years which, save for 2012 have been the worst in history.

Football clubs exist to win premierships and below that to play an win finals. Take out the 2 flags and our record as a finals side has been abominable.

Whether that's culture, personnel or whatever I don't know. In SANFL terms I feel like I barrack for the Bays ( no disrespect to Bay supporters).

For me 2014 has been the lowest ebb. We have become an irrelevant club who is not taken seriously by the AFL community. The club has taken its loyal supporter base for granted and trades on the old SANFL die hards.

So here we are again with a new coach, a new plan - there is enormous work to do in rebuilding our brand and becoming relevant again.

I hope Roovolution will do that - but I've heard it too many times to trust. Of course I will pay my fees, go to every game and ride every possession - like I always have, but the popping of champagne corks will have to wait

12 years of Steven Trigg as CEO can certainly dampen ones enthusiasm. There's hope just in the simple fact that he's gone.

Would you call Collingwood irrelevant ?

Certainly heading in that direction.

EDIT: having won a premiership in the last 4 years, and the ridiculous about of media focus they get keeps them in people's minds, but if they continue to do badly people will stop caring. West coast used to be a juggernaut - now where are they? In the same place Collingwood is heading.

Last edited:

Being "in a good place" just doesn't have the same meaning that it used to.

Champagne is much over-rated - having self-respect and the respect of those who matter, is where it is at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back