Analysis The state of our Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to be in the glass half full camp. However as part of the crowd at AO and seeing the consistency of the supporter base, I have reservations over the stadium deal, if we do not turn in a sizeable profit.
Did we not have near the highest attendance and if that does translate into dollars then that needs sorting out. There is a payout to Sando as well to factor in.

I've never understood why people so proudly profess loyalty to a bias.

What's wrong with assessing situations based upon the evidence available?
When you view evidence from the outside you do it through your own eyes and your own bias. Without all the evidence, which fans never has any judgment is biased.

Right now there is really only opinion. The only thing evident is that there is sweeping change. Everything else is interpretation to see if the change is in the right direction or not.

When you view evidence from the outside you do it through your own eyes and your own bias. Without all the evidence, which fans never has any judgment is biased.

Right now there is really only opinion. The only thing evident is that there is sweeping change. Everything else is interpretation to see if the change is in the right direction or not.

Which is exactly the point.

It is possible to assess effectiveness, you do it through results. In the absence of any results the sensible thing to do is reserve your position.

Claiming that things are good because I'm a half glass full type guy is nothing, a puffery. It adds no insight.

Good write up.

Initially I was shocked at Sando's sacking but I think it's the right move. We played a very dumb brand of football under him and I can't honestly say we we're improving. We seemed to come out of every pre-season with new flaws.

Happy with the coaching appointments. Walsh has experience from a number of well respected clubs and comes well recommended. We also get the added benefit of stealing our cross-town rivals midfield coach. Also hoping O'Keefe can instill some of Sydney's work ethic at Adelaide. Not sure what to think about Teague. He just got let go from St Kilda. Walsh certainly rates him though and that will have to do.

I think the criticism in the media is a good thing. The Crows did an excellent job keeping it all secret until the last possible moment and you can tell this pisses off those so-called football journalists who we're kept out of the loop.
Has it ever...quite bitter about it and thinks this will be the norm. Get ready to be slammed but if it means keeping a few of them out of the loop who cares. They've never done us any favours...snipers,have a deep hatred for us. Stems back a long,long way...us vs them.

If you cant get just a little bit excited about the changes made in the last 6 months then we may as well just give up and go and support the wallabies. There is no way the old guard would have hired a guy like walsh or made 7 list changes in 1 year.

Give it time as its going to take another 2 years before the old guard is removed from the club.
Wow....first positive post in years :thumbsu:

Btw, care to change your avatar?

Chapman is still hanging around like a bad smell. And make no mistake, the stench at our club wasn't just B.O it was BBO (Beyond B.O).

When a former captain and the club's favourite son suddenly goes from having nothing to do with the club, to being a board member apponting a new coach and CEO within the space of THREE MONTHS, you can get an idea of just how much we stunk.

Surely, the stench that you attribute to Chapman must also apply to the rest of the voting board? Isn't Chapman's role within the board and that of it's owners (at the time, the SANFL), merely, that of a public figurehead, the convener of meetings as such and with a diluted influence on all board's outcomes - dependant on the resolve of his fellow board-members or was it more dictiorial in influence, either his or by the SANFL?

Shouldn't Chapman also be the beneficiary of some - if only a little - of the current kudos being extolled, for the dramatic change to personal and the new club's direction to excellence? Or not?

Last edited:
Have to wait and see at the end of next season before we can get much of a clue as to if the recent changes will have benefitted the club to the degree we all are hoping for.

I will say however that I feel like the club is being more proactive in chasing success than I can ever remember it being and that can only be a good thing.

I was somewhat skeptical at first, but they've shown a concentrated effort to shake up the entire makeup of the team, new coaches, admin, players etc. It's one thing to say to talk the talk, but it appears they are also walking the walk. Ultimately on-field results will determine if the entire endeavour was a success or not, but I feel much more confident in the long term success the team is capable of than I did when with the previous regime in charge.

I will admit, I had a chuckle at the end of the trade period when I saw a few Carlton fans bragging how great of a CEO Trigg is because they got Jacksch and Whiley and how we should suck s**t for firing him

Well done to the OP - a really well written summary. I for one am absolutely over the Moon about the changes that have been occurring at the club. The reality is that, like many, I was becoming very disenchanted with the club, the management and the future prospects. Hell I found myself having to be convinced to attend games in the back end of the season. I was almost dragged against my will to the Richmond game.

I was at the point of debating if the hiked up membership was worth it and seriously considering letting it go next year. No way I do that now!

The reality is that this year we were exposed very badly by our main rival. Whilst they were working furiously to get themselves off their death bed, we were caught having a good old circle jerk in celebration of staying mediocre. We still have some enormous steps to go in order to get to where we should be, but I have more faith now than I have had in the past 5 years that we just might have the right people on board to get there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely, the stench that you attribute to Chapman must also apply to the rest of the voting board? Isn't Chapman's role within the board and that of it's owners (at the time, the SANFL), merely, that of a public figurehead, the convener of meetings as such and with a diluted influence on all board's outcomes - dependant on the resolve of his fellow board-members or was it more dictiorial in influence, either his or by the SANFL?

Shouldn't Chapman also be the beneficiary of some - if only a little - of the current kudos being extolled, for the dramatic change to personal and the new club's direction to excellence? Or not?

Agree with the first part. The rest of the board is just as culpable.

Don't agree with your second premise. Chapman has simply bowed to the man with the greater football knowledge. When the club's favourite son comes in and wants to re-organize the football department, a banking and finance man doesn't stop him.

So I guess you could give Chapman credit for doing nothing to stop the Roovolution. You could also give your dog, cat and next-door neighbour credit, too. They also did nothing.

I completely forgot about Harper.

I'd like to see Harper find alternative employment. Had his fingers all over Tippettgate.

With Trigg gone and Reid retired he seems to be the last person actively involved still at the club.

We really need to clear out all involved if we are truely to find closure as a supporter base.

It is possible to assess effectiveness, you do it through results. In the absence of any results the sensible thing to do is reserve your position.

Claiming that things are good because I'm a half glass full type guy is nothing, a puffery. It adds no insight.

I think he was claiming he was not entirely convinced that things were good, despite being a glass half full type of guy.

Agree with the first part. The rest of the board is just as culpable.

Don't agree with your second premise. Chapman has simply bowed to the man with the greater football knowledge. When the club's favourite son comes in and wants to re-organize the football department, a banking and finance man doesn't stop him.

So I guess you could give Chapman credit for doing nothing to stop the Roovolution. You could also give your dog, cat and next-door neighbour credit, too. They also did nothing.

The sowing of the seeds, the epiphony, the real nascent of this very welcomed Roovolution - to who or whom do we give credit?
Will history show it to be an individual, a Roo lead cabal, a coterie of unknown or the dog, the cat and the next-door neighbour? ;):)

Would you call Collingwood irrelevant ?

Doesn't really matter, but the AFC has and will never be irrelevant! sure we may have lost our way last couple of years on and off the field, we have still only missed finals by a game or so and we still have got the crowds through the turnstiles, while having arguably the shittest timeslots.

The addition of Glass in a part time capacity working on the clubs leadership program has to be a good thing. It should be an upgrade on what the Crows had been doing and should help move the club forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results and hopefully moving into a full time role in the future.

The addition of Glass in a part time capacity working on the clubs leadership program has to be a good thing. It should be an upgrade on what the Crows had been doing and should help move the club forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results and hopefully moving into a full time role in the future.
Agree - its a really significant appointment.

I think his MBA study compliments the role, but yes on completion he will hopefully stick around to use his qualifications

It adds insight into the people making the claims but not the situation.

Myself? My view is that this seems to feel a lot like 2005 under the blessed neil. A lot of big talk from an autocratic, long time assistant entering his dotage. That sort of regime will shake things & people out of a malaise.

I expect a short term spike and a coronation of kings off field. Whether this can be sustained over a couple of years remains to be seen.

Old school disciplinarians seem to be good for either a dead cat bounce (craig/Hinkley) or they break their precious gen y toys (Neeld / mccartney)

My feeling is that we'll spike, but the rest is unknown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back