Mega Thread The Stats Thread

Other interesting stats

1. Freo are 1st in conceding the least amount of inside 50s, they really do strangle you.
  2. They are 6th in contested possession rate, but haven't won a contested possession count in all 7 games.
  3. The #2 and #3 tackling sides in the comp, prepare for a ball up fest

I'm sorry that I didn't have time to post the stats up last night as I was busy preparing for something important this morning. I can post them up later if anyone's interested (highly doubtful)

But scanning through the numbers during the week, a few things stood out to me. One, the stats say Collingwood have a relatively porous defence. Opposition sides have penetrated their defences quite easily judging by the number of scores relative to the number of forward 50 entries. Two, They have the lowest number of hitouts and the highest number of uncontested marks in the game. They like to control the ball and if it can be helped, not to get into to too many ball up situations.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
It's okay Grim I think we can forgive you just this once :)

Just watching them play so far this year (without analyzing them in great detail), they still have great depth, but they don't seem to be as formidable as say, the Hawks, and your stats appear to support this. Still, one would have to be nuts to take them lightly, given the players they have to come back in, and their track record. Are certainly a massive contender for a top 4 spot. This would be a great opportunity to beat them, but this is negated by the fact that our defence is undermanned, so they are favourites tonight I reckon.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
grimlock you are a genius! The game panned out almost exactly how you described. I couldn't believe how much space we found inside forward 50. If we had kicked straight early on, it could have gotten ugly...

Fill in the blanks

Top 5 Inside 50 + Rebound 50 combined
1. ____ ________ = 109
2. Richard Douglas = 73
3. Dane Swan = 70
eq 4. Gary Ablett, Andrew Walker = 68
Easy, Malceski

From the Pies game
Season highs
  • Disposals: 389 (previous 387 v Freo)
  • Uncontested possessions: 246 (previous 241 v Freo)
  • Hitouts against: 33 (previous 35 v Bris)
  • Clearances against: 33 (previous 35 v Bris)
  • Rebound 50s against: 28 (equal 28 v GWS)
  • Goals against: 8 (equal 8 v Bris)
  • Behinds against: 4 (previous 6 v GC, NM and Bris)
Season lows
  • Clangers against: 38 (previous 39 v Freo)
  • Clearances: 36 (previous 39 v Bris and Freo)
  • Frees for: 9 (previous 16 v NM)
  • Bounces against: 13 (equal 13 v GC)
  • Inside 50s: 45 (previous 47 v Freo)

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
The two numbers that stick out for me from the above are the centre clearances (as distinct from total clearances, which I still think can be misleading, but that's another tale...), where the Bombers are ranked #3 to our #14, and the contested marks where they are first. On the short SCG the likes of Crameri, Gumbleton, Ryder and Bellchambers (when they go forward) could be a nightmare to handle if they win the ball cleanly from the centre bounces... yet I am still tipping Sydney to win. Go figure.

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I do love stats, and must say thanks Grimlock for taking the time to put these is a usable form for us.
I know i looked at trying to do something similar last year, but after working with large statistical well organised databases found it was very time consuming getting AFL stats into an easily usable format.

From the Bombers game
Season highs
  • Kicks 235 (previous 218 v Gold Coast)
  • Contested Possessions 182 (previous 178 v Gold Coast)
  • Hitouts 59 (previous 57 v Gold Coast/North Melbourne)
  • Clearances 71 (previous 47 v Gold Coast)
  • Clearances from stoppages 57 (previous 32 v GWS/Freo/Haw)
  • Rebound 50s 51 (previous 44 v Collingwood)
  • One-percenters 71 (previous 56 v Geelong)
  • Bounces against 2 (equal previous 2 v Geelong)
  • Behinds 12 (previous 11 v St Kilda/Brisbane)
  • Kick-to-handball ratio 1.54 (previous 1.44 v Gold Coast)
Season lows
  • Clangers against 38 (equal previous 38 v Collingwood)
  • Contested Marks 5 (previous 10 v St Kilda/Hawthorn)
  • Marks inside 50 6 (previous 8 v GWS/North Melbourne/St Kilda)
  • Hitouts against 69 (previous 53 v Hawthorn)
  • Frees For 7 (previous 9 v Collingwood)
  • Inside 50s conceded 61 (equal previous 61 v Geelong/Fremantle)
  • Disposal efficiency 63.66% (previous 64.01% v St Kilda)

Back