Remove this Banner Ad

What makes a club?

This goes for all sports worldwide.

Not the players - They change.
Not the jumper - That changes.
Not the stadium - That changes.
Not the mascots - They change.
Not the management - They change.
Not the training facilities - That changes.
Not the individual fans - They change (or will eventually die)
Not the song - It changed for us and we're still the Dockers

Somewhere in the collective of all these things lies the heart of the club. As long as the club has a fanbase that replenishes itself throughout the years it'll survive.

I know I'm going to regret this but please explain their stumble...
The stumble I was referring to was the decision to re-birth the club. We took a hit in both memberships and attendances that has only recently been recovered. We're sitting pretty at the moment, the real test will come when we return to the dark days.
...I'm not religious but didn't the saviour of mankind ride into the world on a donkey;)
He rode into the world through a mystical portal of virginity. He only rode the donkey into Jerusalem.

I lost faith in all freo management when they got rid of the big rock with the anchor before the games and the inflatable shipping container the players ran through. And the green jumper the 1st actual game was played in.

I lost faith in all freo management when they got rid of the big rock with the anchor before the games and the inflatable shipping container the players ran through. And the green jumper the 1st actual game was played in.

Yeh, I know what you mean. I lost faith when we stopped using water polo as the inspiration for our game plan.
And I lost faith when we employed a list manager so that we didn't breach the salary cap despite being the crappiest team in the AFL.
And I lost faith when we started looking after our player injuries, so that a past player didn't have to sue because some bozo put parts of a cadaver in his knee, destroying what would have been an awesome career.

I kind of lost a little faith when we choked in a grand final and then got bundled out of the finals in straight sets the following year and compounded that by not securing a decent free agent and being forced to re-sign a broken player.
Return to the dark times? I take it back,your'e not Quixote your'e Nostradamus.
The Virgin rode the donkey and he was some where around the place at the same time.
The dark times being when we are struggling at the bottom of the ladder again. It's no point denying it will ever happen, because we all know the cyclical nature of the game. That's when we'll find out what our investment in new supporters is actually worth.

All clubs try to attract new supporters as they need to expand. This helps them compete with other clubs.

Freo did choke in the gf but that wasn't the Steves fault and it wasn't their fault that Freo went out in straight sets. Players and coaches have to share some blame. So stop talking nonsense.

The dark times being when we are struggling at the bottom of the ladder again. It's no point denying it will ever happen, because we all know the cyclical nature of the game. That's when we'll find out what our investment in new supporters is actually worth.

At least we'll look good while we're losing this time.

I lost faith in all freo management when they got rid of the big rock with the anchor before the games and the inflatable shipping container the players ran through.
These were absolutely shameful days. But if we had it, people would still want to keep it... that's the namby pamby nuffy state of Fremantle supporterdom.

The song is still putrid though. Should've rejigged South Fremantle's.

These were absolutely shameful days. But if we had it, people would still want to keep it... that's the namby pamby nuffy state of Fremantle supporterdom.

Our supporters are more progressive than you give them credit for. The jumper change seems to be very popular with the majority on here, and if sales are anything to go by, with the wider Freo supporter base as well.

The song is still putrid though. Should've rejigged South Fremantle's.

South Freo's song is the same as the Western Bulldogs I think.
To be honest I dont give a flying fart what song we have.Its a bit like running through a meaningless cliche ridden banner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All clubs try to attract new supporters as they need to expand. This helps them compete with other clubs.

Freo did choke in the gf but that wasn't the Steves fault and it wasn't their fault that Freo went out in straight sets. Players and coaches have to share some blame. So stop talking nonsense.

That choke looks more like a credible loss in hindsight given that $ydney got a flogging from the same team 12 months later.

The job of the management of an AFL club is to put in place the resources required by the coaches and players to be as good as they can be. Those resources include players through drafting and trading, coaching staff, recovery staff and facilities, membership etc. etc. All of those things cost money to run so if you are broke you will struggle more often than not. The work in the front office enables the team to get it right on the field to the best of their ability but that doesn't mean they failed if we didn't win that Grand Final.

Unfortunately you won't be in contention to get to a GF these days if the backside is hanging out of your pants financially or if you are doing sausage sizzles and chicken raffles to keep the team afloat. I for one am glad we have moved on from the chaos of the early years.

Regarding the South's song, it was written by a guy called Ken Walther many years ago. Ken also wrote the Dockers song and the Eagles song as a matter of interest. I suspect he peaked early as far a footy club songs go on that evidence.

That choke looks more like a credible loss in hindsight given that $ydney got a flogging from the same team 12 months later.
Seriously? This is a ridiculous statement.
The job of the management of an AFL club is to put in place the resources required by the coaches and players to be as good as they can be. Those resources include players through drafting and trading, coaching staff, recovery staff and facilities, membership etc. etc. All of those things cost money to run so if you are broke you will struggle more often than not. The work in the front office enables the team to get it right on the field to the best of their ability but that doesn't mean they failed if we didn't win that Grand Final.

Unfortunately you won't be in contention to get to a GF these days if the backside is hanging out of your pants financially or if you are doing sausage sizzles and chicken raffles to keep the team afloat. I for one am glad we have moved on from the chaos of the early years.
You probably didn't notice, but North Melbourne finished closer to a GF than we did.

The entire comp finished above Freo during the days of the original footy jumper design and song.
No they didn't. Why would you say such an ignorant an inaccurate thing just to attempt to score points?

You'd better take your game up a level if you want to keep this up.

I kind of lost a little faith when we choked in a grand final and then got bundled out of the finals in straight sets the following year and compounded that by not securing a decent free agent and being forced to re-sign a broken player.

If the free agent you write about is Frawley, I'm satisfied the club gave it a good go. 7 years for him is overs. They made it clear they would not sell the house.

Not broken in spirit and determination it would seem if the reports of Luke down at the rooms each morning at 6.30am are true (and given the character of the individual, they would be). He obviously thought long and hard about giving it one last and best shot. He was leading the B&F early IIRC. I know he has challenges, but no doubt, you like me hopes he proves you wrong.

2001 they came 16th. That's bottom of the ladder. Prior to 2001 they finished 12, 15, 15. You can keep the points for yourself I don't need them.
So in the days of the original football jumper and song (16 years) the entire comp finished above us only once, not 16 times as you stated.

Get your s**t together or stfu.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back