Toast The Stevie J 250 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems almost fitting that SJ will reach game 250 against the Hawks... our biggest rivals during our best period.

Any player getting 250 games is a remarkable effort, but considering Johnson failed a medical to go to Collingwood probably makes it even more remarkable.

A player that sees the game differently to anybody else and can pull off the impossible, whilst this has dwindled a little over the last few years he is still an exceptionally dangerous prospect for the opposition. His year had turned around IMO since he has been mostly forward..

He is a player that makes you tear your hair out with some of the stupid things he does, then a moment later shake your head in wonder after pulling off the impossible.

As frustrating as he can be he is a star

Congrats chompers!

8JkU5V8CvFl_dbtbwJo-swcYhnrGTw948ALiD8O15dMspIS0wMEW-Xnq0k7Ay84oEIbMgZER57d8NJmllCnatSWm5VJF-t0DWeE3vAEKTzH2CaeuPfyTid6uPYUtFLiMZyQfmFEhIq8=w511-h288-nc

Last edited:

Going a bit early ain't ya? :D

Oh well, a (possible) 250th next weekend seems as good excuse as any for 15 minutes of Stevie J highlights compliments of YouTube.

I don't think there's ever been a player as frustrating and as entertaining as SJ for me.
His best is incredible, his brainfades not so!!
He's an absolute champ, who's played an enormous role in our golden era. :thumbsu:

Cats+forward+Steve+Johnson.jpg

I'm stealing that SJ wig picture as my avatar for the week if it'll work Willo_ its fantastic. :thumbsu:

Going a bit early ain't ya? :D

Oh well, a (possible) 250th next weekend seems as good excuse as any for 15 minutes of Stevie J highlights compliments of YouTube.

No time like the present :D

Gives us a full week to enjoy SJ

One of my favorite players of our Golden years, favourite SJ moment was at 3QT in the 2011 preliminary final when he walked to the bench and hearing the whole stadium cheer. It was at that moment when I knew everything was going to be okay.

12:18

One of my favorite players of our Golden years, favourite SJ moment was at 3QT in the 2011 preliminary final when he walked to the bench and hearing the whole stadium cheer. It was at that moment when I knew everything was going to be okay.
Yeah, I remember that like it was yesterday. It was arguably the biggest cheer of the day too (indicating how important we all thought he was for the following week).

Yeah, I remember that like it was yesterday. It was arguably the biggest cheer of the day too (indicating how important we all thought he was for the following week).
Was so good the next week as well, could easily be a 2 time norm smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing as this is the SJ 250th thread should we have a compilation of his suspensions as well?

Good or bad you've got to admit one thing about Stevie, he sure has entertained in his 249 games!
Sounds like you just volunteered to do the research for that :D

He annoys me more than even most other Cats supporters and yet at the end of the day, I'd be very disappointed if he wasn't available this week. Because if we had to pick who would be most likely to be our best player in a Geelong win against Hawthorn on Saturday, he's probably in the top two or three.

He annoys me more than even most other Cats supporters and yet at the end of the day, I'd be very disappointed if he wasn't available this week. Because if we had to pick who would be most likely to be our best player in a Geelong win against Hawthorn on Saturday, he's probably in the top two or three.
Perhaps! But London to a brick the Hawks will target him in order derail his game and that of the club. Sadly, with all the pre-game pleading by all concerned not to get sucked-in, I'm not confident he has the temperament to do it.

That said, at his best he was sublime to watch.

12:18

I actually teared up at that - I was at that game and the GF and it was truly like our saviour had risen

Perhaps! But London to a brick the Hawks will target him in order derail his game and that of the club. Sadly, with all the pre-game pleading by all concerned not to get sucked-in, I'm not confident he has the temperament to do it.

That said, at his best he was sublime to watch.

They always do. Fortunately he avoids getting sucked in by very cunningly being suspended for those games (oh s**t, this is a toast thread). But his performances have been off the charts time and again recently.

His 2011 QF against the Hawks might have been the quintessential Johnson game. Tear your hair out frustrating for most of the game (I vividly remember Ling giving him an almighty spray after Johnson decided to give a torpedo a whirl from outside 50m and not coming within 20m of the goals) shanked almost every shot at goal that he had, and yet there was a five minute passage during time on in the third quarter where we banged on four goals, taking the lead from under a kick to nearly 30 points. Johnson was prominently involved in all four and he ripped Hawthorn's heart out. By the end of the game, he had 27 disposals, 7 marks and 1.4.

Since that game, he's played against the Hawks six times (including last year's QF, when he was clearly underdone) and he's averaged 26 disposals and nearly two goals.

I've got to say if he played for another club (as in never played for the cats) then he'd probably be my most hated player in the AFL but he plays for the cats and has been a champion of the club and was pivotal during our golden era. Hopefully the boys are up and about for his 250th and it would be one of the best ways to be carried off beating the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back