Media The Sweet FA Inquisition: This weeks guest fumbler (THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.. IT'S UNDERSTANDABLE!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Evening fellow Sweet FA players,

Tonight marks a very special occasion, the launch of the world famous* Friday Inquisition Sweet FA Edition.

Now I know what you are all thinking, YAY ANOTHER INTERVIEW THREAD

Well hopefully this is the one you enjoy the most, as we step aside from the SFA 'character' a little and get to know the person behind it.

To start with, lets go straight to the person running the show.

This weeks guest is none other than okeydoke7

Enjoy

Last edited:
What got you into following footy originally?

My old man was a fan.

He fell in love with the Saints when he could go around the corner to watch Plugger kick 10 a game.

I have overtaken his passion, and I'm a huge supporter. I go to nearly every game we play in Melbourne and usually manage an interstate trip or two as well. I'm a member and always am when I can afford it. I pretty much structure my weekends around the Saints. My biggest enjoyment has been watching Nick Riewoldt run around. In boring games (when we were winning by 100 points a few years back or now, when we are losing by the same margin) I find myself drifting away from the game and just watching Rooey. He is just amazing. Courageous, non-stop effort, everything you would want in a player and with talent to match. He's kept me involved when we haven't been going so well.

But I'm a footy supporter more than anything. I love the game. I was never any good at playing it, although I'm looking at making a low grade comeback of sorts this season. I could watch footy all weekend, no matter the game.

Agree on Rooey, as a neutral I think he has become even more impressive since you guys have struggled as well.

Has your love for the game wavered at all with the way it has changed particuarly over the last 2 or 3 years

Not the game itself, but certainly the coverage of the game.

I still love the game itself. It chops and it changes. I don't mind the defensive mindset and my philosophy is that you just HAVE to get that part of the game right first to be competitive. We have seen some ugly footy. But eventually, teams look to counter the status quo and things change. Look at Port. Teams can be successful and exciting. Port, Hawks, Cats…Even Sydney. They hold onto the "ugly duckling" tag but they are an exciting group. Dour defenders, but an amazing group of mids and forwards that would be the envy of any team (except perhaps the Hawks).

But I used to consume AFL related media like a dog and its dinner. I love it. I'll wake up and read the papers. I'll watch all the shows. Follow the journos and players on twitter. And of course, Bigfooty.

But the Essendon Drugs scandal has made it unbearable. I lost interest in it. I've forgotten most of the facts. There's just hysteria. I haven't kept up with the leaks and the specifics. I'm not interested anymore. I want the blight of drugs/gambling etc etc removed from the game. The integrity of the game is called into question with moments like these and it hurts to watch it unfold.

Is it a tough life as a Saints fan?

Bloody oath it is. I still hate reflecting on those grand finals. I was at all of them. The toe poke (or as I remember it, our wasted opportunities...we were better than the cats that day and we were the best team of the year but we didn't finish it [like them in 2008]), the unlucky bounce (the draw) and the Heath Shaw smother. The Goddard Mark in the draw was the loudest I have ever been at a game. He was a monster, he took a monster mark at a monster moment, nearly dragged us over the line.

But we just couldn't bloody get there. It's a long road back. But we will get back.

And as a Saints fan what are your thoughts on Ross Lyon?

I think he gets the most out of each team he coaches. Great coach. He has been unlucky in several grand finals now and that wasn't his doing. All of the unattractiveness stuff, well Freo at their best were still great to watch. The saints in 2009 particularly played some amazing football. When freo are dour it is generally when they aren't playing well. Same with the saints 2010 onwards.

Was your thirst for all things footy what led you to bigfooty?

It was.

I'd been a keen observer for a little while but never really contributed. I knew a couple of people who posted around the board and decided I may as well join up and join in.

It's a great place for a bit of a laugh. I primarily post within the SFA board but I occasionally dabble elsewhere (saints board mostly). But I am a heavy reader of many of the forums. I spend a tremendous amount of time on this site.

How did you get into the Sweet FA?

A couple of people I knew were in the league so I signed up.

I signed up with the Demons and really enjoyed EBIAC as captain at the time. He kept me involved. I actually really enjoyed the sim. It was good fun to read through and be involved in.

It's easy to just "sign up" but many posters vanish like a fart in the wind. Actively engaging them with their performance in the sim is a good way of keeping them coming back. That was the case for me.

What is it that you enjoy about this place most?

The banter. It just takes so many different forms. There is some hilarious stuff. Some beat ups. Some antagonising and some sooks. Ongoing commentary of decisions and issues. Disagreements. Jokes.

The media pieces. Some are terrific. Some are horrid, but that's also pretty funny. Those that take things "seriously" but are having a laugh about it behind the scenes.

Good banter that sticks to the qooty or the SFA is the best.

Are you enjoying the admin role?

Enjoying? Well that is an interesting question. Sometimes. I enjoy the fact that I am able to give a little back to the league while I can. I enjoy facilitating discussion. I enjoy attempting to really open up the decision making process. I have enjoyed involving all SFA players in the process by posting threads about issues and allowing them to contribute BEFORE the committee discuss it. I have enjoyed explaining decisions and being open, honest and upfront about how decisions are made.

But all of that just leaves you open to more criticism basically. The more inclusion people have the more involved they feel in the decision making process and the more shunned they feel when things didn't go their way. But I wouldn't have put my hand up to do it if I couldn't cop criticism. I will say though, it's rare to login to bigfooty withoutsomethingto attend to. Some whinge, some change, something. So I don't know if enjoyment is necessarily the word all of the time.

So has it taken away some of your qooty enjoyment?

No, I still love qooty and I still love the match threads. But it has limited my ability to contribute with media pieces. I have started this season solidly with some good early media pieces. My pre-season and early season form was pretty good in that regard.

But it takes up more of my time, more of my work is done behind the scenes. So it's admin stuff first. Qooty/team/match threads second. Posting on league wide media threads third. And then creating, working on and posting media threads comes last. Which is a bit of a shame because that was perhaps my strength. But I was willing to give all of that up to take on the responsibility as I felt like I could do a really good job.

And what got you to the Hawks this season?

Individual glory.

Tarks and the Hawks' leaders made me an offer. They allowed me to take the full forward spot from Tarks.

Last round, I moved into 4th on the all time goal kicking record. By the end of the season I will be 3rd behind just Winty and Tarks (provided I stay ahead of Fred).

The idea was to give me a crack at the all time goal kicking record. I've played far less games than all of the other top players in that field and the move was a chance to reinforce the "egotistic" persona while also being a chance to play alongside some guys who have been around in this league for a long time (a very different list profile than the royals).

What do you think is next for the Sweet FA?

I think steadying the ship is next. We have 12 teams now and we aren't at a point where we need any sweeping changes or expansion or anything like that. I think we need a few seasons to allow the league to catch up with itself. Older clubs need to recognise this by looking to bring in new posters for themselves rather than watching the expansion teams bring all the new posters to the league.

Season 20 is a significant milestone. Next season should hopefully be a special one. The committee are already discussing how we can make next season special and this will be opened up to the league as well. Positivity builds momentum and momentum builds momentum, so we will use the time between seasons to really connect with the league and hopefully reinvigorate some posters before this great leagues 20th season.

And finally if you could change or implement anything at the Sweet FA what would it be?

I would make admin a paid position of course :p

Haha Naturally, Thanks for your time

Good Evening fellow Sweet FA players and fans.

Joining me tonight is the recent Hall of Fame inductee croweater 41

I've had too big a day at work to think of anything witty or entertaining to say in way of an introduction so following the lead set by brahj I am basically just typing meaningless words right at the moment to take up space

Enjoy the words

Enjoy them

But more importantly enjoy the interview

So what is it that got you into footy to begin with? And following that the crows

Growing up in country town you have 2 options. Football and cricket. I followed the old man around as youngster when he played so I was always going to follow the sport somewhat religiously at some point.
As for the crows the story goes my parents took me to the local sport store to pick a jumper (they hid the collingwood ones) and I picked a crows one and have stuck with them since. So I wasn't brainwashed as a kid like most people are.

At least they gave you a chance by hiding the pies ones. Was this in Vic? Slim chances of seeing a crows jumper as well

Yeah Victoria. I think it was the start of the season so they had most of the jumpers but just not a lot of the interstate teams obviously. I have a feeling it was the first on the rack and I just took it and went from there.

And once you picked a side did you take to the game quickly?

Being a 5 year old you don't really understand sport and the love of the game as such. But I did take up VICkick (Auskick now) as it was when I started
C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
and I would say I found the love for the game fairly early on after that growing up and wanting to be like the people on the TV in particular Tony Modra. I had his number on my back and the older kids at school called me Modra for the fact I had his number on my back and I seemed to have a knack for kicking goals at school from ridiculous angles

From that probably my favourite footy experience came from Auskick getting to play on the G in front of 90,000 people in a Collingwood vs Carlton game. Those sort of things are what dreams are made of as a kid. Of course I didn't like either side but that didn't mean it wasn't a great time.

And how was it as a Crow in Vic as a kid?

Wasn't as bad as you would think. A couple of my mates at school actually followed Adelaide as well. The only thing you could say I missed out on was going to a lot of games. But being 3 or so hours from Melbourne and playing Footy on Saturdays never helped that either.

So all in all it wasn't to bad. Nothing out of the ordinary as such with banter wise but was always asked the same questions of "How?" and "Why?". Everyone got the same answer. I also like not going with the flow sometimes I just have to be different to piss people off and I guess that starts with supporting a team from outside Vic as a kid

What do you think the year has in store for your Crows?

I'm looking at hopefully in the bottom half of the 8. I don't think we are top 4 material but would love to see us make the finals again. But it will be anywhere from the 6-10 mark. It just depends how well the new game plan can be implemented but I am quietly confident we may go well (better than last year anyway) this season.

Does Danger stay or go?

My gut feel is that he is gone. I hope he doesn't but that is what football is today. Where he goes I don't know however. But if he does go hopefully we hit up some good players from other clubs as we should have a s**t load of dollars in the bank :p

Are you happy with the new coach and captain?

I am happy with both decisions yes. I was skeptical about the sacking of Sando but I think it was for the best.

Tex was left field as well but I like it as he is well liked by the playing the group.

And what is your favourite memory of footy as a kid growing up?

Playing on the G in front of a massive Collingwood Carlton game was pretty great.

I was a tad young to appreciate the back to back GF wins but watching those over and over again is good enough for me now.

So how did you get onto bigfooty?

I was trolling around the internet one day in a free period at school and a Facebook group I liked referenced a bigfooty article. So I clicked the link and had a look around. Enjoyed what I saw and hung around. Originally I was on the local footy board just talking smack with ClarkeM and then he got me across to the SFA and now I spend most of my time there occasionally venturing out to the Crows or GD board for a gander.

What is it you enjoy about the Sweet FA?

It's really just a fun place to be. The banter and the sim are the two things I mean by fun. For Mobbs to create a sim that spits out a football game like this is great. I love having a look at my stats and seeing as now I am just a bush footy player with a dodgy knee its great seeing the "what could have been" as such.

I never really had much intention of hanging around but realised the place is great for ego building

And what about big footy in general?

I just came on to talk smack about the local league and what was happening around the traps with in's and outs of each team and the like. Being in a small town with only a couple of other Crows supporters and using your footy number I was found out pretty quick but continued to post away not really giving two shits.

I hung around when I realised there was more to BF than just the local board so then thats when I branched out and had a look around the other forums.

Now onto the Sweet FA in more detail.. If I have my info correct you are a one club player yeah? Have you been tempted to move before?

Yes a one club player.

I have been tempted before. Back in the off season between my first and second season I almost made the swap to the Bombers for what reason I don't know but doggiesin08 told me to stay with the wonders and I did. Then a couple seasons back filthy almost lured me to the dragons with a carefully photoshopped simpsons reference. But this was at the stage where we had no posters so I felt bad walking out on the club and stayed again.

I am certainly not saying I will be a one club player my entire career but the timing of the 2 almost departures just were not right.

And you have had a lot of success at the Wonders haven't you?

I have.

3 premierships, A club BnF and a couple of club goal kicking awards and captained the club through a pretty good time. The recent HoF induction is a pretty big honour for the Sweet FA so I am pretty honoured to be in that company with such names as biggie mobbs and IMS who were the types of posters I looked up to as a newbie.

Do you think the league is currently healthy and moving in the right direction?

Yes I believe it is. The place thrives on activity these days and thats what it is getting. Not like the old days where there was little to no posting in match threads and media threads.

But right now yes it is going in the right direction and I wouldn't be surprised to see some more expansion sooner rather than later.

And how frustrating are you find your own teams form at the moment

Yah look it is fairly frustrating. I have been through stages with the wonders where we hardly lost so I am more hoping we win a couple of games for the newbies that are around to get that taste because I think once we do get a couple of wins we will be straight back to the top.

and it is of course completely out of your control which on one sense would make it easier, and on the other more frustrating because you can't do anything about it?

Correct.

The SFA is full of ups and downs. Right now we are on the down but look its a matter of just persisting through and hoping our luck changes somehow.

You touched on the HOF induction earlier, how did you feel when you found out about that?

The HoF induction I was somewhat shocked about. Sure I am to tell you how good I am/ have been in the past but I didn't really expect to be recognised in any sort of way. There are some pretty big names in there so it is an honour to put alongside them and to now be back on level terms with clarkey is good also he can't one up me anymore.

And last question if you could change 1 thing about the Sweet FA what would it be

I'm not sure actually top question. It wouldn't the SFA in particular but I would love to bring back some big posters from yester-year that have gone missing over time. The likes of Rick18, biggie, wally and boncer when they were tough and many others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I know a few of us older types speak of the old SFA but it was like 80's football just tough and hard at it and no one shirked it by crying foul of the other poster.

Interesting read! Agree with okeydoke7 too. So many forum leagues just expand expand expand.Quality over quantity is always best. I would rather 10 full posting teams than 15 teams with only 5-6 core pisters each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump BUMP

Hi all, celebrating a win tonight?... well why not read this thread to help round out the day

Shitty about a loss? ... well why not read this thread to help improve the day

If you could interview a Bandit this coming week it would be much appreciated. We really, really need a win.
If it's having that effect then you'll be hard pressed to get anyone other than a Wolves player..

Good evening Sweet FA

Its Tuesday and we are all sitting around thinking about how to make sure we are more relevant in our match threads (unless you are in the Bandits Wolves one where I am not even sure if the game has been mentioned 4 pages in)

So take a break from the stressfull life of a SFA Qootballer, and take some time to get to know a little more about one of our own.

This weeks guest is none other than fumbler

So to start with what got you into footy?

Footy or Qooty?

Real footy... we'll get to qooty later

OK nerd.

My first real memory that involves aussie rules is when i was about five years old and my father took me to the Richmond Juniors at Citizen Park, later that same day i played my first ever game in the under 10's no Auskick or Vickick it was full rules back in those days.

My first ever sight of big time footy came when my father drove me to Punt Road to watch the Tiges train, all the greats were there and it was the best thing i'd ever done and still rates up there. From where we lived in Kenny St we could see the balloons once they released them in the Grand Final (they don't do it anymore) what a sight it was to see.

Do you like the modern game?

Honestly the game now is better than it was four or five years ago, my only real displeasure is with all this basketball blocking that goes on around the rucks. The game may be a tad faster than it should be but overall i think the product is not as bad as some make it out to be.

And how has life been as a tiger fan?

Life is fantastic.......... ohhh as a Tigers fan.
:cry:

I love the club, i am pretty lucky being born in a premiership year and then being 6 years old when we won another. Since then it's been up and down but i have seen some of the best players in the VFL - AFL come through the club.
The club is on the up, it's just a pity we couldn't reward players like Richo.

What do you expect from the tigers this year?

Hopefully we get into the top 8 again and win at least one final.
Being so far away from the games is really hard but i am hitting the local side hard this season.

What is your favourite footy memory?

Kevin Bartlett's 400th game would have to be my most memorable AFL game ever, i was a young lad of about 10 and can't actually remember the game except we played Collingwood at the MCG and won (i hope?).

Who is the player you have most enjoyed seeing play the game and why?

I have two favourite all time players.
The greatest Full Forward to ever play the game, Plugger. I saw him play at Moorabin for the Saints against the Tigers a few times, what a friggin monster that bloke was he took the game out of everyones hands...... he owned the game. He tore Richmond a new arse hole without even raising a sweat. In many games his own side was completely s**t but yet he won games by himself.
The other player i never got to see live but have watched some videos (not DVD's) and DVD's of him, Royce Hart was the one player that could dig Richmond out of a hole without making a noise. Backing into packs to mark the ball and then playing on with ease was his trademark, i wish i could of seen him play but he retired before i was of school age.

What got you on bigfooty?

Not actually sure?

I have been on and off since early 2010, i did find this site in 2008 but thought it was one of the stupidest Footy Forums on the nets so i didn't sign up.
I did leave for a while due to being hooked on another site and then becoming sick in RL, but i'm back mainly due to the laughs this place gives me.

Then how did you find your way to the Sweet FA?

I was originally asked by a few Tigers supporters to join the Furies but i didn't even know what the Sweet FA was about so i decided to check it out.
After i posted a few times Shadow Man contacted me and got me to join the Dragons with a few others, man we had a great team back then any number of us could have won the EKA back then.

And then what got you to the Furies?

I played one full season at the Southern Dragons and at the end of that season some of the idiots from The Bay were brought to the club, some of these were what made up the old Terror Squad (bunch of Hard arse Nerds). I thought it was time to move, Equus who was captain of the Furies at the time asked if i'd like to join.
Took me a while to get back to him as i was really interested in going to Hawks as they had some great players, i wasn't offered anything or made any promises at the Furies but i wanted to see if i could put up with players in the Sweet FA that i also associate with in the Tigers board.
Basically one and a bit seasons later RL intervened and i was gone........ or was i?

How long have you been at the Furies?

This is my third season at the Furies this time around and i believe it was one and half seasons the time before that.
I've seen the club go through many changes since the first day i joined them, some good, some bad but it's always entertaining.

And some success as well

Depends how you rate success?
Making Grand Finals, winning a pre-season Premiership, gaining a few personal accolades or becoming a leader of arguably the best side in the Sweet FA?
I like to think that people will rate me one day on who i bought to the competition and how well they have blended, some people you ask to join may not straight away but eventually they just can't resist and it doesn't matter if they come to the Furies or any of the other Sweet FA clubs.......... they can't help themselves it's so effin addictive.

Like myself

Yes you are one of the lucky ones that has taken up the option of joining but you took it a step further by adding to the fun of the place.

It doesn't take much to enjoy yourself.

Cheers for the kind words.
How are you enjoying the current season with the Furies?

Fairly well actually, since stepping back a little to concentrate on my other pursuits it's given me time to add to the wikipage and other stuff that needed sorting out.
We are travelling nicely on and off the qooty field and have a few milestones happening over the next few weeks that need my attention.

and you obviously enjoy the other side of it as well? (the wiki page/behind the scenes stuff)

I started doing the Royals page when i was there and have been doing the Furies page for three seasons now, so yeah i don't mind it.
I don't mind keeping the Furies history up to date but a lot of it is just chest puffing nonsense that no one else besides your own club gives a s**t about.

Are you happy with how the league is going at the moment?

It's going fairly well even if a few of the greats have slowly fallen off or taken a step back to let a few of the younger players come through a lot earlier.

And what about the topic of the moment.... quality? What are your thoughts on it?

Can't really swear on here but those that go on about quality over whatever are a bunch of campaigners and are that far out of touch. What we need are players that enjoy the game. If it's not being played the way you like then do something about it and stop bitching, i love it all.......... i love it more than iced vo-vos.

Haha, so as long as people are having fun that's the main thing for you?

Ken oath mate, nothing like a good old footylulz adventure to lighten the hardest of hearts.

the good news for your furies is that the guys I interview seem to win the following weekend

You temptress.

I've been involved at four clubs now (Furies twice so five) but i've never really cared about winning anything other than against the Wonders, i think i get it from Equus and PHX?

Thanks for your time mate

I ******* gave you a game at the Bombers and you fail to give me a mention? No ******* credit for making you as a poster?. You and your Sunstate Norveners s**t. Flog. :straining:

Its a head spinner isn't it
He did that for TheFreshBanana and I last season. I freaking love it when the real fumbler comes out. People think he's cray cray, but it's likely he's the most intelligent poster on the board. He uses it exactly the way it should be used, and most people don't even realise he's doing it.

He did that for TheFreshBanana and I last season. I freaking love it when the real fumbler comes out. People think he's cray cray, but it's likely he's the most intelligent poster on the board. He uses it exactly the way it should be used, and most people don't even realise he's doing it.
Yep, fumbler and I go way back to a long since dead forum... so I knew it would be good to see a break in the character

Remove this Banner Ad

Back