The "T" Word.

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of teams I've been watching are overpossessing and hesitant to move it forward to attack.

Wouldn't say tanking but I'm pretty sure theres a few clubs near the bottom very aware what a win could do for their future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. Brisbane coming out an asking for a priority pick has exposed them as tankers, although you can argue they'll lose most of their remaining games anyway. Nevertheless, I wouldn't have said anything.

Tanking itself should not be an answer, in fact it does not really work. Geelong had Jimmy Bartel at pick 8 in 01, Mackie at pick7 in 02, and Selwood at pick 6 in 06.

Hawthorn have had Roughead at 2 in 04, Franklin at 5 in 04, Lewis at 7 in 04, and Ellis at 2 in 05. 2 of those players aren't there anymore.

Sydney had rebuilt successfully over the years through smart trading, I am not overly sure about West Coasts draft history. Point is, if you have a good culture, good management, good recruiting department, high standards, and a half decent list, you shouldn't need to tank. Tanking sets an awful precedent, let me tell you that, Melbourne tanked horribly and obviously, and all it did was create a losing culture where am 'honourable loss' was acceptable.

Bottom line, history shows good teams don't tank, they build a club on foundations of success through the people and culture.

Would suggest

Brisbane, really are that bad
Gold Coast, good luck to any team winning with that many injuries
Carlton, believed the hype and are now paying for it
Essendon, thought they were a chance like North and are now regretting it, not tanking but playing the younger players finally and now suffering the inevitable beatings, though James "I wanna coach like Ross" Hird does not help either

Surely after the debacle that was Melbourne for so many years no one thinks it's a good idea any more?

Although obviously it worked for Hawthorn (hence the * next to their recent flags)

I don't think its tanking persay, at this year. I just think players have enough and lose confidence/focus/effort. In a long season if you just get smashed every week its demoralising and before you know it, players stop doing those one percenters all that often, etc etc. Carlton is a prime example; they have been terrible all year, we saw a slight improvement for about three weeks under Barker and then they went back to being smashed. Brisbane is the same; they have been terrible all year, no reason to think they will improve.

Tanking has existed in the past, but I don't think there is any this year.

Y
Surely after the debacle that was Melbourne for so many years no one thinks it's a good idea any more?

Although obviously it worked for Hawthorn (hence the * next to their recent flags)
Agree completely with the Melbourne comment, what we went through during the Bailey & Neeld era is only just being remedied now, so I can vouch that tanking is a horrible answer.

Hawthorn comment? Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Opened yourself up as a bitter Swans supporter. Keep the thread on topic.

Y

Agree completely with the Melbourne comment, what we went through during the Bailey & Neeld era is only just being remedied now, so I can vouch that tanking is a horrible answer.

Hawthorn comment? Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Opened yourself up as a bitter Swans supporter. Keep the thread on topic.

Was just having a laugh with the Hawks comment.

Not this year. Carlton have had their dead cat bounce, Gold Coast injured, Brisbane a terribly structured team, Essendon a list full of deadwood. Melbourne and St Kilda still having a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back