The T20 thread

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Where is this format really at? Obviously, the IPL is still very big. But here in Australia? The Big Bash is doing pretty well, depending on your point of view. In the past, domestic cricket got barely any attention. But in 2013/2014, Big Bash matches were getting anywhere between 10k to 40k attendances and averaged a little less than a million viewers per game on TV.

But then look at the recent international T20s against South Africa. First international match of the summer, and Adelaide draws 26k. Ok... Adelaide is not a huge town. What about the second match at the MCG? Melbourne, the sporting capital of Australia, could only muster 22k. And Sydney? Third match of the series, teams level at 1-1 and only 25k turn out.

Is the format of the game an issue? Is it just a problem with cricket in Australia generally? Or are CA to blame?

Personally, I don't mind the format. But I hate the way it is being managed by CA, and "packaged" as a product. Way, way too much hype and not enough effort on producing quality games. While I appreciate that most of the Test side wouldn't make the Australian T20 side, I still thought the scheduling of the recent series was completely idiotic.

And some of the selections seem a bit... haphazard. eg, Dunk gets selected as our T20 keeper on the basis of a double century in the domestic one day competition. But then gets ditched in favour of Wade for the international one-dayers? Are we taking T20s seriously? Or are they just a proving ground for up-and-coming players? In that case, why play White?

And don't get me started on the disco dancers, BMX riders, trampolines and fireworks. Whoever is responsible for that crap, CA or 9, please... make it stop. Is it really building a fan base? Or just alienating the traditionalists?

Is CA killing the goose that laid the golden egg? Is there something else afoot? Or are T20's perfectly healthy, and I'm reading the signals incorrectly?

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure is CA is killing the goose that laid the golden egg, more jumping on a bandwagon in the hope of revitalising cricket and making some money. Going the wrong way about it IMO but that is a topic for another thread.

As far as T20 goes, I don't care for it in any form. Yes, I watch it because it's the only cricket (and I use the term 'cricket' loosely) available to watch at the moment but I would never pay to see it and that includes the Big Bash.

Aug 28, 2011
Beyond Reproach
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UAE Team Emirates
One of my soccer loving mates didn't understand why I don't like T20 "cricket". He thought with all the sixes, the shorter matches etc. that I should love it. I asked him that if there was a soccer league where they played on a smaller field, made the goals larger and limited the number of defenders would he watch it? No. As a rusted on cricket lover I don't like T20 because it isn't cricket. The rules have distorted the game so much that it is cricket in name only.

I also have a problem with linking the success of the format to the number of people who watch. What is the definition of success for the T20 format? If success is linked to to the number of people who start to follow the Test cricket then good, but how is that measured? If those people then wish to see Finch and Maxwell types in the Baggy Green, then have they really been converted? Do we need more attendees who require boorish ground announcers and loud music in order to enjoy a game? What good does it do us for kids learning the game to want to be like the various hacks running around in the Big Bash? Those certainly aren't cricketers those kids are idolising; not cricketers as they used to be known, anyway.

I certainly hope as much of the profits as possible from T20 are driven back into the game and not used to further expand the Big Bash with the view to increasing revenues further. Yes, money is important, but this is the business of sport. As my introductory accounting text book says, you have to stay true to the core purpose of your business. So is the core purpose to expand and administer what we have known as cricket for 100+ years up to the early 2000's? Or is the core purpose to grow this abomination?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
But then look at the recent international T20s against South Africa. First international match of the summer, and Adelaide draws 26k. Ok... Adelaide is not a huge town.

I knew the T20 series was on, but I didn't know Game 1 was at Adelaide Oval until I turned on the tele and thought "Hey, that looks like AO!" F*ck all advertising for it, like all cricket here TBH. Unless you followed cricket, you really wouldn't even know the Redbacks exist.

That being said, T20Is are for some reason the least interesting format.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
The domestic competitions are fun but it's hard to care about internationals. But then I'm not a kid. If I was 10, I might think T20Is were marvellous, I'm sure I'd love the Scorchers.

The T20 series just gone was not helped by being sandwiched between a just finished test series and a ton of other cricket. The who gives a **** factor really rises due to that.

matty p

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should've played the T20I series at the conclusion of the Big Bash, rewarding the players who excelled in the competition, rather than before the Big Bash has even started. It's too early in the summer for anyone to be interested. All we've had is the Matador Cup which gets close to zero interest from the casual fans.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should've played the T20I series at the conclusion of the Big Bash, rewarding the players who excelled in the competition, rather than before the Big Bash has even started. It's too early in the summer for anyone to be interested. All we've had is the Matador Cup which gets close to zero interest from the casual fans.

In another season it might be, but with the World Cup coming up, the schedule is factored around warm-up odis rather than the T20s.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I still prefer the notion of state T20 cricket, rather than franchise T20 cricket.

It's no coincidence that the two teams that have most captured the attention of their home cities are the two that are closest to their state teams in terms of personal (Adelaide and Perth)

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Cut down the number of international matches by a third or more. Play them about as regularly as they did in 2006-07 and have the world T20 every 4 years.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
No one was ready for cricket yet.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The format is fine. It's the blaring s**t pop music after each ball, players talking to the commentators, the commentators talking bullshit "Rock n roll blah blah let's be ultra casual" that is the problem. The last two points (and they might be just an Australian thing) make it seem not serious at the moments it should be. People compare it to baseball but that's not fair. People take baseball very seriously when the match approaches its end. Instead we get commentators making jokes.

As for the recent crowds it's a long season of international cricket ahead and this 3 match series was full of third rate players nobody's heard of.

Martyn_30_

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What possible reason would cricket Australia get rid of 20/20 internationals when they're rating over a million? The crowds were due to the time of year Australia vs England at the mcg got 62k earlier this year. If a sport rates well on tv then it's not going anywhere which why it's so important that day night tests are played.

Back