Skills the tactics of tackling in AFL, as against NRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, a mother comes to you and tells you her son is nervous about tackling; just like what happened to me today....what do YOU say..?

OK. Stupid wouldn't bite. Answer was; I asked if her son was happy..?

Since I started this thread....tackling has become a stat...which it wasn't last year...

The more tackles required by a team, the less emphasis on height.. Just watch.

I cant believe its been 2 and a half years since I started this thread. Wow. Time flies.

So I guess I have made more observations of tackling in the code now.

*Firstly, I see a total lack of tackle coaching at junior level.
*Unless a player has a RL background, most of the kids cant tackle.
*Some kids are willing tacklers, even untaught.
*Bigger kids that run straight at an opponent nearly always run straight through defenders as the defender has no idea of front on defence. Big kids scare them.
*Most tackles are 'grab some Guernsey' tackles.
*Good tacklers win a lot of ball.
*There is a decision to be made of keeping ones feet in a tackle or committing to a tackle that leaves the defender on the ground. Both can win you the ball.

In the two years since I started this thread, it seems to me that teams with a more aggressive tackling game, and manic defensive pressure win the game. Its become a trademark of all the top sides, and even successfully done by Melbourne under Roos earlier in the season.

If the game is going that way, ie; Manic defensive pressure and good, correct tackling, its time coaches at junior level began teaching some AFL suitable tackling, mixed with some NRL 'correct' techniques.

Being associated with junior football I've observed.

*I see a a lot more emphasis of tackle coaching at junior level.
*Most players have an appreciation of tackling and avoiding tackles.
*Some kids are willing tacklers, even untaught.
*Even Bigger kids that run straight at an opponent nearly always get caught.
*Most tackles are controlled tackles when in position to do so.
*Good tacklers who commit to a tackle are taken out of the equation.
*There can be a lot of decisions to be made before committing to a tackle.

As always the teams that pay attention to all the skills usually prevail.

Being associated with junior football I've observed.

*I see a a lot more emphasis of tackle coaching at junior level. untruth
*Most players have an appreciation of tackling and avoiding tackles. untruth
*Some kids are willing tacklers, even untaught. true
*Even Bigger kids that run straight at an opponent nearly always get caught. untruth
*Most tackles are controlled tackles when in position to do so. total rubbish
*Good tacklers who commit to a tackle are taken out of the equation. rubbish
*There can be a lot of decisions to be made before committing to a tackle. rubbish

As always the teams that pay attention to all the skills usually prevail.

1 out of 7. better than you've done in the past....I must be teaching you something..:rolleyes:

Yes, you've taught me that you can post anything on BF without substantiation.
You're a rl flog who's only interest seems to be boost the number of hits on offseason BF.
Adios. Have fun with your theories.
For a bloke who reconed he was the best tackler in the game when he played his few Rugby games, and self admittedly tackled with his arms only, 'flog' and 'theory' are words that aren't strong enough explain your lack of truth or character.

Anyway, back to grown ups discussion....

This thread was started a few years ago now, and I started it with the idea of seeing how RL tackling styles could impact the game of AFL. I know a pretty good tackler to watch who had proven to be an elite RL tackler for his age, to watch how he adapted his style to AFL.

So Watching AFL with a RL eye, and how tackling is implemented in AFL and how RL style tackling can be adopted, ive seen a few more things that have made the AFL style 'tackle' more sophisticated than It once was.

In the juniors, the RL style tackle won a lot of ball for the RL style diving tackle. Front on tackles, almost a skill unknown by AFL players across the board, was also a shock for juniors.

What has become interesting is that the junior tackler (still playing both codes) now adapts his style a little when playing AFL. For example, a blindside hit on an opponent will be high, and ball and all. That could be the selected hit in RL, but on occasion a lower tackle might be better. In AFL, The higher ball and all tackle is more effective in winning the ball and stopping the balls promotion by the attacker.

But an attacking player looking to dispose of the ball when the defender is coming from side on, will see the defender tackle with the correct shoulder (running to right, tackle with right) but as soon as initial shoulder impact occurs, the right arm of the defender will loosen and (running right) will immediately move to impede the attacker from promoting the ball.

Front on tackles, which are usually only in breakdown traffic, are still shoulder 1st, but chest height instead of hip height in RL. The ball is wrapped up so attacker cant promote the ball, with the attacker wrapped up and taken to ground.

Tackling from behind has proven a grey area, as in RL you dive with the head to the side you think the player wont fall. In AFL this is a penalty as you are tackling the back. What has happened is the player has adapted his behind tackles to not using the shoulder from behind, but uses hands and arms to try and bring player straight to ground so he doesn't get propelled forward. Looks ugly, but saves a penalty, and wins the ball.

One more important 'adaptation' from RL is the player makes sure the attacker is hit twice. Once in the initial hit, and the 2nd time when he drives him into the ground. Keeping ones feet hasn't come into the thought process of the tackler at this stage by allowing the player to take the fall and defender stay on his feet himself. This may change as the player adapts his style to suit the game.

What had become evident is the probable effect of tackling 'follow through' . This is when a player who is already committed to the tackle, completes the task despite the attacker releasing or promoting the ball. This in effect will put pressure on the attacking player the next time to get rid of the ball quicker as he knows he is going to get hit if he hangs on too long. This will force the attacker to make wrong decisions under pressure.

Teaching juniors, in my case U9s, modified tackle has been my biggest challenge to date. In some ways it's more difficult getting this right compared to full tackle as they're so limited in regards to no front on & no dropping the opponent. Countering the momentum of the ball carrier becomes tricky without the front on contact but much of this thread has been useful in differentiating rl & afl tackle results. Thanks

Ok, a mother comes to you and tells you her son is nervous about tackling; just like what happened to me today....what do YOU say..?

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns.

Who's gonna do it? You? Coach Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives!

You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like "honour", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Or you could say just have fun and do your best.

Either works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back