The term "salute"...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I agree.

It appears to be a carry-over from the Kokoda treks & the Commando theme that Clarkson (via Kennedy) brought to the club.

The term jars with me & appears to be out of context. There has got to be a better phrase.

Yeah I've noticed that Clarko uses a lot of the military language/metaphors in his post-match press conferences and other media appearances. I vaguely remember from the Playing to Win book that the players had asked him to tone down the military stuff during the Leading Teams feedback sessions? I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of it myself, partly because playing sport has nothing to do with war (and shouldn't ever), but mainly because it just sounds silly. But yeh, 3 premierships under the belt so who am I to criticise?

It has always been used ever since I can remember and I remember going to games in 1969.

Every now and then a commentator will use the vert "to salute" to mean "to win the premiership"

It was used with the australian cricket teams run of world cups as in "if the aussies salute again it will be blah blah blah" or something.

Peptides.... Nope.
St Kilda style rebuild required?..... Nope.
Captain's just buggered off interstate?..... Nope.
Poor membership?.... Nope.
CoLA and academies under siege?.... Nope.
Carlton style delusions of grandeur?.... Nope.
Ninthmond?..... Nope.

Some clubs would kill for problems like ours. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salute away Clarko, Salute away. Personally I love it because it has generally meant something good for us. The term I never want him to say again is "We were not hard enough, for long enough". That one can GAGF.

Not a fan either but my interest was peaked by the photo salute.

Then...

18767550-isolated-portrait-of-a-beautiful-blond-american-pin-up-girl-sailor-saluting-with-a-yes-sir-on-white-.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back