The term "salute"...

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Salute away Clarko, Salute away. Personally I love it because it has generally meant something good for us. The term I never want him to say again is "We were not hard enough, for long enough". That one can GAGF.
Since Clarko first said that about us I have used in constantly when beating my mates at anything, whether its FIFA on the Xbox or table tennis. I just tell them that they're just not hard enough for long enough.

Nov 21, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, West Perth
Salute - a gesture of respect or polite recognition, especially one made to or by a person when arriving or departing

Has Sweet FA to do with the military. Salute away Clarko.

It is a very old racing term saluting the judge, meaning to win.

Interestingly, the Bombers have saluted a few Judges recently.

And Essendon fans aren't happy about it either!

;)

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
View attachment 105813 Brian Lake.....We salute You!

Norm Smith Medal in 2013 in saving our Bacon in Defense....Played the 2014 Finals with internal bruising/Bleeding & shut Porkins down into the bargain!

Off topic but that has to be the most nonchalant flag celebration in football history

Compared too...

image.jpg

and...

image.jpg

But that's probably why we've 12 of the things while the Pies have only won 2 since the JFK assassination :)

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Interestingly, the Bombers have saluted a few Judges recently.

And Essendon fans aren't happy about it either!

;)

Essendon's position can be likened to appearing before the stewards rather than saluting the judge.
In fact the club may be more at home in the racing world where the use of performance enhancing substances is not entirely unknown.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't stand it.

I don't remember it being used in footy parlances pre Clarko using it after we won the flag in 2008.

For mine it should be kept for armed forces conversations.

What wrong with "victorious".. "premiers"... etc ???

What do others think?

View attachment 105741

I should pre-curse this by saying that I love Clarkson and think he is the best thing that has happened to club since, well perhaps ever but .... truthfully I find a lot of his terminology a bit grating. Perhaps its a city/country thing but phrases like "take the chocolates", "the little fella", "red hot go" (feel free to add more) are colloquial to the point of being self-parodying. He sounds, to me, like a guy who just wandered out of a pub in rural Queensland in the 1940's. I have noticed the players (especially senior guys like Hodge and Roughead) borrowing the same vocabulary also. Another guy who has the country drawl and vernacular down pat is Isaac Smith. I actually find I get pangs of cultural cringe when he is being interviewed.

(calmly awaiting verbal retribution for expressing judgemental opinion of our own).

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't stand it.

I don't remember it being used in footy parlances pre Clarko using it after we won the flag in 2008.

For mine it should be kept for armed forces conversations.

What wrong with "victorious".. "premiers"... etc ???

What do others think?

View attachment 105741

Well that pic has me standing at attention. If you know what I mean.:drunk::confused:

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The phrase is old school, heard plenty of coaches & players using it in the 70's and 80's, so Clarko is just reprising it.
I personally love older world sports phraseology and iconography, bring back the wood chop segment I say! :D

I think it's really pleasing people are sticking up for how Clarko talks.

(I personally despise the overuse of "no doubt" in sport. There's some cricket commentator on ABC radio who starts EVERY sentence with it!!!)

Yeah, I mean there's no doubt that 'no doubt' is overused by sportsmen and women.

I should pre-curse this by saying that I love Clarkson and think he is the best thing that has happened to club since, well perhaps ever but .... truthfully I find a lot of his terminology a bit grating. Perhaps its a city/country thing but phrases like "take the chocolates", "the little fella", "red hot go" (feel free to add more) are colloquial to the point of being self-parodying. He sounds, to me, like a guy who just wandered out of a pub in rural Queensland in the 1940's. I have noticed the players (especially senior guys like Hodge and Roughead) borrowing the same vocabulary also. Another guy who has the country drawl and vernacular down pat is Isaac Smith. I actually find I get pangs of cultural cringe when he is being interviewed.

(calmly awaiting verbal retribution for expressing judgemental opinion of our own).

Honey.jpg

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yeah nah no doubt you'll have a red hot go at our little fellas even if we salute and get the chocolates

ballsy analysis but regrettably true!

KOLOKOTRONIS

Back