Autopsy The theme is:

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2013 grannie was def lost in the middle. When mundy/the mids settled and went **** it im going to try and win this. we looked like it. The middle was the key. The shots on goal were bad but plenty were in crappy spots around the arc because our midfield were not allowed to spot up targets effectively.
Yeah, Mundy continued that one quarter effort for every game in 2014.

Hawthorn are the side that made three GFs in a row and won consecutive premierships. How do you figure that Freo could have demolished them in 2013?

We were favourites leading into the GF because we were playing better.
I am convinced it was the enormity of the occasion that got us. I have just watched the replay again and Ballantyne, for one, missed goals that he would usually slot. The first half signed our warrant and I put it down to nerves. Once we settled we were as good as Hawthorn but it was too big a gap to make up against a good side.

Sweet jesus, Taberner has been on our list two seasons, Apeness one and you're already saying they can't get to Ashley freakin Hansen level? There's negativity and pessimism and then there's whatever the hell that opinion is.

Apeness is the one KPP we've selected in the first round in donkeys, considering "best available" has been our MO for such a long time maybe the coaches reckon he can play a bit? Does nobody else think it strange that he's the only one to have bucked the trend? As for Taberner, he's already demonstrated in a handful of games that he'll be a competent AFL player so that's even more baffling.

I understand the eagles bias and that ash Hanson is a whipping boy around here but I stand by my comment that those eagles players showed more at AFL than our players have done yet. They combined in over 450 games over 400 goals played in 2 GF's and won a premiership. Our 5 young talls have combined for 25 odd games and maybe 2 from Tabs have been quality by afl standard.

I didn't say they can't develop in time and I'm confident they will but I only see the AFL games and they've hardly set the world on fire.

I understand the eagles bias and that ash Hanson is a whipping boy around here but I stand by my comment that those eagles players showed more at AFL than our players have done yet. They combined in over 450 games over 400 goals played in 2 GF's and won a premiership. Our 5 young talls have combined for 25 odd games and maybe 2 from Tabs have been quality by afl standard.

I didn't say they can't develop in time and I'm confident they will but I only see the AFL games and they've hardly set the world on fire.
The difference is that West Coast had three MVP/Brownlow quality mids in the same team. Fremantle have one at the moment, no one else over 21 comes close to that quality and it will be a few years before we know whether the those who have been drafted are near it.

West Coast's 2006 set up is an outlier, not the pattern.

The theme is fyfe is gunna become our hybrid gunston.Weller,Blakely,crozier,
Barlow,Neale,hill,sutcliffe,sherro,mz etc etc will handle the bulk of the midfield duties.

I reckon a forward line consisting of Apeness,fyfe,tabs,Walters,ballas and mayne being pretty dangerous in a couple of years time.

I'm not particularly worried about KPPs when we have tall mids who can rotate through the forward line and create havoc. Mundy could even move forward permanently to free up a spot in the midfield.

Hawthorn are the side that made three GFs in a row and won consecutive premierships. How do you figure that Freo could have demolished them in 2013?
By settling down and kicking straight. If we hadn't been so put off by the conditions early, we would have won the GF by 5 goals.

By settling down and kicking straight. If we hadn't been so put off by the conditions early, we would have won the GF by 5 goals.
Yeah nah. People forget that Hawthorn played as shockingly as Freo did. The ifs and buts about settling earlier and kicking straight are crap. Hawthorn also could have played much better than they did.

That was the closest Freo has gotten to Hawthorn away from home in 10 years. The last time Freo beat Hawthorn away from Subi Ben Allan was coach.

Yeah nah. People forget that Hawthorn played as shockingly as Freo did. The ifs and buts about settling earlier and kicking straight are crap. Hawthorn also could have played much better than they did.

That was the closest Freo has gotten to Hawthorn away from home in 10 years. The last time Freo beat Hawthorn away from Subi Ben Allan was coach.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then, because you're wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can only learn from history, we weren't good enough on the day to beat hawks, or Port last year. These are the two favorites for 2015?
Injuries, leg speed, skill , were lacking in both games, and we seem to be on the right track with addressing some of these issues.
The two west aussies appear to be plug and play types, with Weller capable of debuting next year.

We were favourites leading into the GF because we were playing better.
I am convinced it was the enormity of the occasion that got us. I have just watched the replay again and Ballantyne, for one, missed goals that he would usually slot. The first half signed our warrant and I put it down to nerves. Once we settled we were as good as Hawthorn but it was too big a gap to make up against a good side.

Say what?

I agree that we kicked ourselves out of the game but there is no way imo that Freo would have won by 5 goals, the game very likely just would have went either way in a tight finish. Also as Clay said people also forget Hawthorn were very ordinary early and missed a lot of chances themselves.

That is my recollection. We were favourites after our demolition of Sydney.

I think you've been listening to too many precious Hawthorn supporters whinging that a couple people in the media dared suggest the Hawks may not romp it in.

The sooks have tried to rewrite history and turn their win into some kind of underdog triumph, but the truth is they were the favourites all along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back