Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So these people never take their bullshit behaviour overseas?

You seem to take issue with this. Is it too much to ask that we tone down the hatred, the racism and the hooliganism? Is it really that bad to wish for a kinder, gentler society that I've seen first hand in Canada, America, England and various parts of Asia?

It's clear to me you haven't been to either of these countries if you think they are kinder and gentler than Australia.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
It's clear to me you haven't been to either of these countries if you think they are kinder and gentler than Australia.
I've never heard of hooliganism and racism in England or America.

Wait a minute............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

And as for America, there's too much racist s**t to list. However, Australia is a lot like England in my opinion, everyone likes to think we're accepting but there is an underbelly of racism waiting to emerge again like it did at Cronulla.

I'm going to stereotype here, but there's plenty of 40-70 year old Aussies who are racists against Indians, Asians and those from the Middle-East and think they're not.

My generation I'm unsure about because I haven't met enough people my age yet to make a good assessment, however I don't believe there's a racist underbelly. There's still racists of course.

I've always thought that if you don't like Australia then feel free to **** off
Ridiculous attitude. Are you implying that this country is perfect?

There's plenty that could be changed to benefit all walks of life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Homeless people with their heads down begging for spare change when I was in China. They were doing the 'kowtow' and there's something not right about an elderly man doing that to someone my age. Goes against everything I've been taught about respecting elders etc.

Also, my aunt passed from Cancer maybe ten years ago and my parents kept it from me as I was young. I only recently found out and I guess time had made it seem numb and surreal so it didn't really impact my day to day. Yesterday on the bus I saw two 8/9 year old sister fighting then making up and the older one gave the younger one a kiss on the forehead. I'm not sure why but it struck me then and there as 'how could you ever lose a sister?' Still remember my mum cryptically suggesting that she'd rather be the one who was sick.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Alzheimer's/memory loss and related problems with aging. My nanny lives in a nursing home and has been going steadily downhill since my grandfather passed away a couple of years ago. She's constantly getting confused about what day it is, where she lives and seems to get mixed up by things she watches on TV. Tonight she called at 8pm completely stressed out because it was her turn to cook and she didn't have any food (she had dinner at 5, as always). Think she's been watching my kitchen rules.

Just sucks seeing this happen to somebody you love.

Alzheimer's/memory loss and related problems with aging. My nanny lives in a nursing home and has been going steadily downhill since my grandfather passed away a couple of years ago. She's constantly getting confused about what day it is, where she lives and seems to get mixed up by things she watches on TV. Tonight she called at 8pm completely stressed out because it was her turn to cook and she didn't have any food (she had dinner at 5, as always). Think she's been watching my kitchen rules.

That is sad dg. Is it a good nursing home?

This video makes me so ******* sad. Aside from being an excellent ad, it's almost unthinkable now that Aus FTA TV could have ever been as good as One was. Check out all that amazing content.

I miss It all. Mid week AFL replays, UFC, poker... :(

Sep 6, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seeing emails that I never got around to replying to in my inbox from a friend who died from brain cancer.

I leave messages on her old gaming profile page every now and then. :/

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That is sad dg. Is it a good nursing home?
It is quite good. It was only designed to be temporary care while my grandad was in hospital for a routine operation (he was her carer), but he had complications and passed away. She didn't want to then move to another nursing home, but they have recently switched owners and it's gone downhill a little bit. They don't have enough staff on weekends either, which defies logic to me, they don't just need help during traditional business hours. There are much worse in our area though.

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United

Sounds like she would be a good match for my grandpa who is 89 and watches Hawthorn's grand finals every week thinking that they are live

thurmanmunson

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Apr 25, 2010
Brooklyn
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Any reference to, or story about, any form of animal cruelty makes me very sad and physically ill.

Reading this afternoon about a girl in Melbourne who died this morning after falling over whilst crossing the street and getting hit by a truck as she was late for work, also makes me very sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back