Universal Love The thread for the positive sydney will win the grand final people

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello all.

This is a thread for people like myself who depsite the odds think in 4 weeks time we will be winning the flag

Lets discuss the reasons why, if you dont think we will win there are a lot of other threads, but lets have one purely positive thread, or maybe it will just be.

I think for starters hanners smith and tippett make this weeks side a much better opponent for the hawks, tippett is ready to shine

I reckon jetta could be the difference this finals campaign. Jetta to be sub this week. And yes, tippet, hanners and smith will be big ins this week. As long as we dont go back the the type of footy we played against geelong. But I have full confidence the players know what is required for september success. Go the swans!

Hello all.

This is a thread for people like myself who depsite the odds think in 4 weeks time we will be winning the flag

Lets discuss the reasons why, if you dont think we will win there are a lot of other threads, but lets have one purely positive thread, or maybe it will just be.

I think for starters hanners smith and tippett make this weeks side a much better opponent for the hawks, tippett is ready to shine
I'm more than willing to be cautiously positive. I saw some very good signs on Friday night that the old Swans are back, and plenty of good input from the youngsters.

But I'll possibly be even more positive if someone can tell me how the finals system works, so I can look at our possible journey through September. I'm a bit of a Luddite with it. I know there a lot of unknowns, but can someone tell me, if we beat the Hawks and get the next week off, who are the possibilities we might face in the PF?

I'm more than willing to be cautiously positive. I saw some very good signs on Friday night that the old Swans are back, and plenty of good input from the youngsters.

But I'll possibly be even more positive if someone can tell me how the finals system works, so I can look at our possible journey through September. I'm a bit of a Luddite with it. I know there a lot of unknowns, but can someone tell me, if we beat the Hawks and get the next week off, who are the possibilities we might face in the PF?

Lose we play winner of carlton richmond in sydney thats why u think a prelim is a big big chance but this way we play a prelim v the cats or dockers

Beat hawthorn and we host the prelim v the loser of cats v freo v winner of port v magpies

I think

Lose we play winner of carlton richmond in sydney thats why u think a prelim is a big big chance but this way we play a prelim v the cats or dockers

Beat hawthorn and we host the prelim v the loser of cats v freo v winner of port v magpies

I think

The weeks rest is the key.
That's why I think the players will come out with all guns blazing this Friday night.

I think
So, have I got this right:

Lose to Hawks, and we have to beat Blues or Tigers, to then beat Cats or Freo to make GF against Hawks, Pies or Port?

Beat Hawks, and we have to beat Cats, Freo, Port or Pies to meet Blues, Tiges or Hawks in GF?

Week off sure helps make Option B the attractive one, but I certainly don't consider the first scenario impossible, looking at it on paper. That's what we did in 05 right?

So, have I got this right:

Lose to Hawks, and we have to beat Blues or Tigers, to then beat Cats or Freo to make GF against Hawks, Pies or Port?

Beat Hawks, and we have to beat Cats, Freo, Port or Pies to meet Blues, Tiges or Hawks in GF?

Week off sure helps make Option B the attractive one, but I certainly don't consider the first scenario impossible, looking at it on paper. That's what we did in 05 right?

Basically we should make the prelim

Then in two weeks worry about that game :p

Bit of a positive for Friday night! In our last 10 finals appearances we have won the first final match we've played 8 times out of the 10. We just have a habbit of standing up in September.

Not 100% convinced we can win the flag, and very well may fall short, but I don't think we can't win it either....we're more than capable.
We've had a reasonably good season looking at it as a whole and not on the last 4 weeks. But.. anyway to counter the, somewhat inexplicable given the position we're in, extreme negativity here are a few reasons to be optimistic.

1. Josh Kennedy is a finals machine and has been back to some very, very good form lately. Finals play to the strengths of this guy.

2. Rohan and Jetta are huge X factors and have been missing most the year, therefore the electric speed and carry dimension has been missing from our game. It's return could add/return a whole new element to our game.

3. Because of Jetta's absence/early season average form - others have been forced to step up meaning opposition is going to focus on those guys. Jetta could very well slip back under the guard and cut a team up. If they focus on him someone else gets who's been getting heavy tags, like Hannebery, may get back off the chain.

4. Mitch "Mr September" Morton has never lost a final and isn't ready to start now.

5. Our long term injuries have been frustrating and everyone is cursing them. One game can change everything, if we get another few we fall back on depth which has helped us achieve this top 4 birth. If another team has a horror game on the injury front they could be falling back onto bit players who have played quite spasmodically.

6. In lots of finals the space dries up and cheap goals are harder to come by, small forwards quite often go missing, so big Key forwards who can take pack marks and split packs can sometimes become very crucial and we seem to have a very good one...let's just hope there was nothing to serious behind his late withdrawal last week.

7. Some things can't be controlled, like the weather! Sometimes conditions can change everything and despite some myth going around on here, we've turned it around and have actually been quite good in the wet these last couple years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ladder predictor on the afl.com.au site will let you make all the permutations.

But the bottom line as far as i'm concerned:
If we're good enough to beat Hawthorn, then we are good enough to play the GF. I expect we'd need to beat Collingwood or Freo in the prelim (which we can do), and then play the winner of a Hawks/Cats or Tigers/Cats (rate the tigers a chance vs Hawthorn) in the GF.

And i think we're good enough to beat the Hawks. :thumbsu:

I am never confident we will win the flag, and no supporter or club should be. Winning the premiership is extremely hard to do let alone go back to back. However I am confident in this teams ability to win and are more than capable of going back to back. 4 weeks is a long time and a lot of injuries can happen between now and then for every club.

We will win this week and give us the best possible chance of playing on the last day

Love this thread, if only to keep the downers out of our hair.

1. We have the best coach in the comp, he has been foxing the competition for the last few weeks. Even with a side full of younguns, and without our main weapon in Tippo we still took it up to the "minor" premiers for 3.5 quarters

2. Some f*cking heavy guns to come back in - Smith, Hanners, Tippett, potentially Jetta will add plenty to our finals side

3. Swans footy is finals footy. See ball, get ball. Don't think, just do. None of this uncontested precise kicking crap, screw that run and gun bull. Get your heavy hitters into the packs, shovel it out to some class, if you don't have the ball you smash the man that has it and give them no quarter. Kick the ball to the wing to your marking targets, minimise the risks and set up again from the ball up or throw in.

4. You are only as good as your bottom 6, and pending final team announcements our bottom 6 are pretty good. Everitt has improved greatly, White has become a colossus, Mitchell is tough as hell and can kick goals, McGlynn is hungry as a hyena for a medal, Morton is Mr September, Rohan is some serious x-factor.

I'll come back with some more when I think of it.

I am never confident we will win the flag, and no supporter or club should be. Winning the premiership is extremely hard to do let alone go back to back. However I am confident in this teams ability to win and are more than capable of going back to back. 4 weeks is a long time and a lot of injuries can happen between now and then for every club.

We will win this week and give us the best possible chance of playing on the last day

Wooooah as special moderator of the positive we will win the grand final thread thats close to cardable

1. We have the best coach in the comp, he has been foxing the competition for the last few weeks. Even with a side full of younguns, and without our main weapon in Tippo we still took it up to the "minor" premiers for 3.5 quarters

2. Some f*cking heavy guns to come back in - Smith, Hanners, Tippett, potentially Jetta will add plenty to our finals side

3. Swans footy is finals footy. See ball, get ball. Don't think, just do. None of this uncontested precise kicking crap, screw that run and gun bull. Get your heavy hitters into the packs, shovel it out to some class, if you don't have the ball you smash the man that has it and give them no quarter. Kick the ball to the wing to your marking targets, minimise the risks and set up again from the ball up or throw in.

4. You are only as good as your bottom 6, and pending final team announcements our bottom 6 are pretty good. Everitt has improved greatly, White has become a colossus, Mitchell is tough as hell and can kick goals, McGlynn is hungry as a hyena for a medal, Morton is Mr September, Rohan is some serious x-factor.

Not sure about the foxing bit but everything else, I agree with...

Yeah it's worth remembering the hunger that McGlynn will have for his first medal. I think he's been playing well, actually did a nice job on Smith against the Hawks, though it would have been nice to get a bit more ball, but now I really expect him to ramp it up over the next few finals.

Not that we will be relying on player milestones as core motivations, but I think there will also be a bit of extra push for the boys to do it for the likes of Jude and McGlynn who each deserve to hold the big shiny mug this year. In a perfect Swans-centric world, that is.

Someone should give you a gig writing for the newspapers.

WLWLL

Seeing that form line heading into the finals just has such a positive connotation for me ;)

Plus the media are again writing us off. It all seems to be coming together :D

Not sure about the foxing bit but everything else, I agree with...

It's a stretch, but it is a Postives thread. The midfield got a nice rest in the Pies and Cats games, and we didn't have to put in an noncompetitive performance like Freo to lead up to finals.

History means sfa, but if it did we'd be in very good position.

-In the last 10 years, the last 2 times we've finished 4th were 2003 and 2006. Those qualifying final wins against Port Adelaide and West Coast would probably rank as our 2 best finals wins* in that time.

-The only 2 times we've finished with 15 wins or more at the end of H&A in that same time period we've gone on to win the flag. (The only other time since 1990 was 1996, where we also played in the GF).

*Not including Grand final wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back