The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1-0 down thanks to a Lennon goal. Apparently we're struggling in attack. Strange decision to drop Mitro for Perez IMO. Mitrovic would provide a strong focal point for the team. Perez isn't really suited to that role.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

1-0 down thanks to a Lennon goal. Apparently we're struggling in attack. Strange decision to drop Mitro for Perez IMO. Mitrovic would provide a strong focal point for the team. Perez isn't really suited to that role.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Perez needs to play on the shoulder of a centre half, in this position all he does is sprint after long balls and pressure defenders. Mclaren does some god awful things at times, I hope theres a change in the 2nd half.

Mitro just missed a chance he should have put away, can't believe it

Aarons gives away a penalty and Barkley converts... I can't see us staying up with Mclaren, his substitutes and tactics are as if he wants us to lose.

I only followed the match on my phone as I was heading into work but sounds like we really did our best to lose this game. Posted this in the matchday thread - just a really bad performance all around.

Alright had 2 coffees and cooled down. Absolutely pathetic performance and we seem to have done everything in our power to help Everton get the 3 points.

Honestly not sure where to start.

Poor team selection - Perez up front alone was never going to work. Mitro should have started as he can hold up the ball and be a focal point. Shelvey isn't really a holding mid from what I've seen - should have played further up the pitch.

Substitutes - Mbemba going off with injury definitely didn't help so bringing on Lascelles was a no brainer. Kid was quite good too up until the red card. Taking off a poor performing Dummett made sense but Aarons isn't a LB or even a wing back -it didn't work at Watford and it didn't work again. Taking off arguably our best player at that point in Saivet (one of the few who was putting in a shift) for Mitrovic was strange as well. Should have been the ineffective Shelvey if anyone - or Mitro could have started to begin with.... :rolleyes:

No qualms with the scoreline - Everton had plenty of chances and we were lucky it was 1-0 before the penalties. Elliot should surely be in with a shout to be Ireland's number 1 at the Euros. Playing regularly in the PL and some would say, taken over Krul's standing as the number 1 at the club.

Just really disappointing. Everton haven't won a home game since November I think I read and have only won once in their last 11 games going into this one - that win was against us. Typical Toon letting out of form clubs get back onto the winning wagon.

Now we're down 2 more CBs for the crucial home game v West Brom. Spending 80 odd million is all well and good but we've been crying out for defensive reinforcements for 3 seasons and it shows how badly neglected our defence is.

So potentially no Mbemba or Lascelles now for the massive West Brom game which leaves us very light in defence. Colo had a poor game too by not closing down numerous shots near the box.

I think I'd go for this team.

---------------Elliot------------
Janmaat--Dummett--Colo--Mbabu
----------Shelvey--Saivet-------
Gini---------------------Townsend
-------Doumbia/Perez Mitrovic-----

Subs: Darlow, Taylor, Aarons, Sissoko, Doumbia/Perez (whoever doesn't start), Colback (if fit), Gouffran/Marveaux (flip a coin I guess).

Sissoko was lazy again apparently so could use a kick up the bum.

Dummett I've always rated better as a CB so move him in for Mbemba and give Mbabu another go. Aarons isn't a LB lol.

I'd lean towards starting Perez over Doumbia but either would probably be okay next to Mitro. Mitro needs to work on his composure and finishing. Another great chance he missed today.

Not Colo's best that's for sure and while Sissoko was largely ineffective I'm not certain it was because of laziness.Although he was definitely not as sharp as previously, so I'd be thinking application, mental preparation combined with Everton's talent,workrate and organisation behind the ball.Shelvey certainly came back down to earth with a thump while Saivet looked very solid and promising.
Townsend is definitely and upgrade on Obertan:eek: and looks handy.Looks genuinely ambidextrous,which is a rarity.Perez will never play the single front man role if he lives to be a thousand years old,so no idea what McClaren was thinking there.
Gini was a shadow of what he's been and so overall too much left to too few in combination with puzzling team selection and inexplicable lack of motivation.
For a team which was playing to move above the relegation zone it was a lethargic performance.
Not sharp enough,rarely first to the ball,bodied out of it and off the ball all night long.
2 appallingly naive penalties put us out of our misery after a sadly uninspiring outing.
Of course the context is that McClaren couldn't lace Martinez's boots.
Elliot was best on ground for us followed by Janmaat who must be leading any player of the year vote I'd imagine.
EDIT:Even with a couple of decent signings on board I didn't expect to win,but I had thought we'd be a bit more competitive.

Last edited:
I'm convinced Mclaren wants us to go down, there's no other explanation for his team selections and tactics. In his post match he said that he didn't want to rush Doumbia and wanted to ease him into things.... What the actual fuark, mate we are in a relegation s**t fight and if we go down it could go full Leeds/Portsmouth style and we implode and you want to ease our best chance of survival into it? WAKE THE HELL UP.

Doumbia should have come on instead of Mitro, he would have nailed that chance Mitro missed. Has anyone actually seen Mitro get a shot on target besides his goals ( mind due a few of them he literally couldnt miss ). The dude seriously has problems striking the balls cleanly, he is mightly frustrating.

Dummett was the worst of the defenders when he was on. He was deadset useless. The longer he stays in the team the more likely we are to go down.
Sissoko and Gini were pathetic. Absolutely anonymous performances.
Townsend had some nice runs but his last touch was pretty awful. Happy to put that down to match fitness, or a lack thereof.
Shelvey did some nice things but overall was disappointing. He needs to be smarter with his tackling.
I really liked Saivet's game. Mindblowing decision to take him off. At that point we probably needed to take Sissoko off.
Not writing off Mitro but his poor finishing is becoming fairly alarming.

Norwich play Villa this week. If they win & we lose to West Brom... well, I won't like our chances.

Gini seems to go missing when we struggle - if we have a bad game, he almost seems to not even be out there. A bit like Sissoko who usually plays an amazing game against a big team or when we're televised in the UK.

Townsend would have struggled with no support from Dummett whilst also lacking match fitness - think I read he cramped up badly late in the game?

Need Norwich and Villa to draw - next best result would be a Villa win but the draw would be ideal.

We really need to attack West Brom. Lot of fear and worry amongst the fanbase and if we look nervous against West Brom, the crowd might create added tension and pressure.

Thinking about it last night, I might actually play Taylor at CB with Colo or Dummett. Taylor is made of glass and is prone to making mistakes but he plays for the shirt and always plays with fire and passion which we sorely need. It's backs to the wall stuff and we need fighters in the team ready to give everything for the cause. If we lose to Brom, I think we're in (even more) deep trouble.

Worst case scenario, when or would you pull the finger and replace McClaren?

Some clubs sack managers and sometimes get an instant improvement in results. He's got a few new faces who need time to gel and adapt but we don't exactly have the luxury of time...

IF he was dismissed, who would you want to come in? Moyes? Rodgers? Mourinho? (lol), Garcia? Benitez?

Ideally Chancel is fit, but with a short break it's very unlikely. If not, I'd go Saylor also.

Need to play two up top if we can. We probably wanted to bring on Doumbia late but the injury sub(s) prevented that.

-----------------Elliot---------------
Janmaat--Saylor--Colo--Mbabu/Dummett
----------------Saivet--------------
Townsend---Shelvey---Wijnaldum
----------Perez----Mitrovic--------

I would also start Sissoko on the bench. Unsure who else but would aim to bring Doumbia on at around the 60th min for Perez or Mitro depending on how the game is going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some clubs sack managers and sometimes get an instant improvement in results. He's got a few new faces who need time to gel and adapt but we don't exactly have the luxury of time...

IF he was dismissed, who would you want to come in? Moyes? Rodgers? Mourinho? (lol), Garcia? Benitez?
Pearson has recent history of performing miracles!

King Kev!

Ok, I'm rolling the dice here for the baggies and going for goals.

-----------Elliott----------
----Janmaat---Taylor----Colo
-------- Saivet----Jonjo-----
Townsend--------------Sissoko---
-------------Gini-----------
--------Seydou-----Mitro----

Subs:
Perez
Mbabu
Dummett
Colback
Toney
Tiote ( is he fit? )

If we don't get 3 points here, or worst case we don't even take the points then surely Mclarens position is untenable? Ian Cathro for a young guy is apparantely a bit of a wizz, we could do worst than giving him the squad for the remainder of the season. He would end up with legendary status in Newcastle and you never know we could have found a gem.

Ian Cathro for a young guy is apparantely a bit of a wizz, we could do worst than giving him the squad for the remainder of the season.
Have it from a Scottish mate who has worked under the bloke that he is in fact a wiz...however my firm opinion is that anyone who is a decent coach will not work for Ashley.
Even Pardew appeared to transform afterward.

Yeah Cathro is supposedly one of the most highly rated young coaches in the game. Could do worse than giving him a crack - can't be any worse than Carver's 8 losses in a row lol.

Really curious to see our team for tonight - no Mbemba, Dummett, Lascelles, Haidara, Colback, Anita or Mbabu. We apparently promoted 4 kids from the u21s just for the match squad...

Then we've got Taylor who's barely played at all in the last year or so through injury and Colo who's seemingly regressing again into his poor performances.

I reckon we'll either go 3 at the back with 2 wing backs:

----------Janmaat--Colo--Taylor----------
Townsend------------------------Aarons

Worry would be reducing our attacking power and having 2 very attack minded players playing as wing backs in a home game.

or we could risk a 4 at the back with one or probably 2 DMs shielding as much as possible...

Janmaat-----Colo-----Taylor------Aarons
------------Saivet----Tiote-------------

Personally, I'd lean to 2 holding mids as that allows more creative and attacking types (Perez, Gini, Sissoko, Shelvey, Townsend etc) to play further up the pitch.

12650996_1167708156572762_8857337216424027474_n.jpg

Interesting team.

Saivet stiff to be dropped? Townsend needs to have a huge home debut and track back to help out Aarons.

Some talk Mbemba will miss a month as well - feck! :(

Unless he's injured this is idiotic.
McClaren may be more moron than anyone suspected.

He's on the bench...so I think the Wally might have slipped some meds into his pregame tea!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back