The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

999754_620225161382523_1639766665_n.png

Some of those arrests would have been for the idiots that ran onto the field I imagine?

Yeah, I believe so - only 1 or 2 happened outside of the ground after the game. Quite a few fans have contacted the club saying they are cancelling their season tickets for next season - hopefully that might get the Fat Man's attention (doubt it though sadly).

Was reading that Kinnear negotiated quite a low fee for Cabaye. Around £16m or something.

Yeah saw that - some in the media saying the reason he resigned was Cashley wasn't happy that Kinnear sold Cabaye for what the club had put a value on him for (Club wanted $25m ~ and the deal might have been closer to $18m ~ with incentives and possible add ons).

Not sure how true that is - could be very close to the mark and wouldn't surprise me. Just would have though Ashley would have had the final say on the deal (as he has previously signed off on previous sales/purchases).

Ashley really should have had someone lined up to replace Cabaye. If he couldn't find anyone suitbale then it wouldn't have hurt to keep him at St Jamees' Park until the end of the season. Not like PSG would have come back and tried to be tight arses on the transfer fee.

We really should have but that is just how poorly run we are as a club unfortunately. There is a story in the media the club promised Cabaye he could leave in January following the rejection of the Arsenal bid back in August. I guess for Cabaye, he was pretty much guaranteed a place on the plane to Brazil so he could afford to risk moving to a new club only a few months out from the WC.

Takes some kind of stupid to negotiate a low fee when dealing with PSG. Can you imagine what the fee would have been if he was negotiating with Arsenal?

I honestly don't want to know! Remember, this is the guy who loaned out one of our reserve players to Birmingman (Shane Ferguson) and then told officials he wanted to sign him :confused:

At least he is gone!

There was an interesting rumour last week doing the rounds that Pardew might take the Director of Football job and Di Matteo would the manager position. Not sure even RDM would want to work under Ashley despite his previous experience of working under a crazed Billionaire :p

Was away for the weekend so (thankfully) wasn't able to watch the game. Not really many positives to take from the game - starts for youngsters Dummett and Sammy Ameobi plus young toon prodigy Armstrong made the bench again. De Jong got a full 90 minutes under his belt and from reports looked ok.

Debuchy injured and will miss the midweek spurs game and Krul hurt his ankle so might be given a rest. Our lack of depth is really showing - Santon playing further up the ground as a midfielder and Marveaux and Gosling (who've probably not played 90 mins combined for us this season) were both brought on later in the game.

In some encouraging news, Cisse, Gouffran and Tiote are all chances to be back for the midweek game which would hand us a much needed boost.

Santon set to continue playing as a defensive mid and De Jong says he hopes to make the loan a permanent move.

I'd like to see Sissoko moved from the wing and played in the middle - taking on Cabaye's role. Throw Ben Arfa and Marveaux/Gouffran on the wings with maybe Cisse and De Jong up top.

Also, wouldn't mind Haidara getting some game time as well (even though Dummett seems to be preferred at LB). I'd play Yanga Mbiwa next to Williamson (they formed a pretty good partnership earlier in the season when Colo was out with Dummett and Haidara at the full back spots and Santon next to Anita in the DM positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll be happy to know we are ordering all of our kits for our amateur football team from sports direct :) Free shipping also for large orders (we spent 3k up for the whole club). All going into the St James' Park coffers :)

Haha awesome WorldCup2022OZ - though technically, the money isn't going to the Club's coffers, but rather the fatman's back pocket! ;)

A bit of good news, our young local prodigy - Adam Armstrong has signed a long term deal with the club.

Has been banging in the goals for the U17s, U21s and English youth sides so hopefully we can see him get a run in the Spurs game tomorrow!

Interestingly, overnight some reports saying we had a loan bid for Rodwell of Man City rejected - could have been a handy short term replacement for Cabaye. Different players but given the lack of options in the squad, would have got some opportunities.

Haha awesome WorldCup2022OZ - though technically, the money isn't going to the Club's coffers, but rather the fatman's back pocket! ;)

Also forgot to mention, your former director of football - Damien Comolli is apparently being considered to replace Kinnear as Director of Football. Interestingly, he was the guy who helped oversee the Carroll transfer to Liverpool as well as bringing in Suarez.

Frankly, as long as he can pronounce the players names properly and get some deals over the line without embarrassing the club in the media, I'd take him (or just about anyone) happily.

Commoli has terrible negotiating skills. Stay away!!

Could he be any worse than Kinnear though?

I personally wouldn't mind someone like Glenn Roeder taking the job - knows the club, the city, the fans.

I personally wouldn't mind someone like Glenn Roeder taking the job - knows the club, the city, the fans.

Give it to Graham Carr. He finds them all anyway, he may as well do the negotiations as well.

Give it to Graham Carr. He finds them all anyway, he may as well do the negotiations as well.

Would make sense - cuts out the middle man. He could still get sign off approvals from Ashley and that 'should' keep everyone happy.

No point having a great scout if he can't buy any players :D

Commoli: Hi Derek, we're interested in buying Andy Carroll would you sell him to us?
Llambias: Possibly, we value the lad at 20 million or so and he's very important to us so we would prefer to keep him.
Commoli: How does 35 million sound?
Llambias: (falling off chair and choking on his laughter) Done deal!! Fax me the paper work and he's yours!!!
Commoli: About that knee injury he's got?
Llambias: Don't worry, that's nothing. Feel free to do a medical. Just a minor injury Anyway, I have sent you the paper work so you'd best get it signed off before the deadline passes!
Commoli: Ok thanks, bye.

That sums up the quality of commoli's negotiating skills. Although perhaps at newcastle ashley will give him much less room to move on transfer fees so he may possibly be alright.

Commoli: Hi Derek, we're interested in buying Andy Carroll would you sell him to us?
Llambias: Possibly, we value the lad at 20 million or so and he's very important to us so we would prefer to keep him.
Commoli: How does 35 million sound?
Llambias: (falling off chair and choking on his laughter) Done deal!! Fax me the paper work and he's yours!!!
Commoli: About that knee injury he's got?
Llambias: Don't worry, that's nothing. Feel free to do a medical. Just a minor injury Anyway, I have sent you the paper work so you'd best get it signed off before the deadline passes!
Commoli: Ok thanks, bye.

That sums up the quality of commoli's negotiating skills. Although perhaps at newcastle ashley will give him much less room to move on transfer fees so he may possibly be alright.

I think the advantage for us would be he wouldn't need to identify any talent - under Ashley's model, Carr (our super scout) and his team are responsible for trying to identify good value players that we can purchase. Once the targets are identified, Commoli (or whoever is the DoF) would then work with the club secretary to try and negotiate the transfer. Ashley usually also has the final say on any deal so if a deal doesn't appeal to him, he would sink it.

In Commoli's defence - at least he can seemingly pronounce player surnames properly!

Surprise surprise - another limp defeat.

No fight or heart shown and the team was rightly booed off yesterday.

Great to see Gouffran back and encouraging displays from Dummett and Sammy Ameobi who were all amongst the better players.

As sad as it is to say, I think the players have mentally checked out for the season - losing Cabaye probably was a massive blow but at the end of the day, they are professional players and should be doing their best to try and win every game.

At least we have a bit over a week until our next game - a 'winnable' game against Villa. We will regain Remy and possibly Tiote to provide a much needed boost.

In some refreshing news - somebody still sees playing for the Toon as a dream!!

Don't know squat about this guy but seems highly rated - if he wants to come to Newcastle and play for the shirt, he couldn't possibly be much worse than Shola or the devoid of confidence Cisse.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/abel-hernandez-dreams-move-newcastle-united-or-real-madrid-1436318
Palermo striker Abel Hernandez is ready to leave Serie A – and has identified Newcastle United as one of his dream destinations.

The 23-year-old has previously been linked with moves to both Arsenal and Tottenham and was largely expected to leave the Rosanero during the summer after they were relegated to the second tier of Italian football at the end of last season.

But Hernandez has since announced his plans to leave the club at the end of the current season, identifying three possible destinations.

"I dream of Newcastle, Real or Atletico for the future," Hernandez was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

Some interesting talk over the weekend that if Pardew loses our next game, he might get the sack - not sure if that is to believed or not, anything is possible with the current regime! I personally can't see it happening unless he has clearly lost the players and something ugly happens. He still has the better part of 6 years I think on his contract so I can't see Ashley paying out that huge amount - besides, who else would want to manage us with the current regime in place?

Our next 5 games are not too bad either - a strong run here and we should be able to almost cement our place in midtable. The only tough game there is Everton but that will be at home so might give us a chance (if the players pull their fingers out!).

Colo, Remy, Tiote all chances to return should give us a much needed boost as well.

Aston Villa (h)
Hull (a)
Everton (h)
Fulham (a)
Palace (h)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back