The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Class from Kompany and the City fans!

10601290_10152341809647712_1828517866_n.jpg

10626593_715853871819651_1066154056777124789_n.png

Probably the best lineup we could field with our fit squad I guess (though surprised to see Dummett ahead of Haidara at LB).

At least no Steven Taylor in the back 4 :D

Subs: Elliot, Haidara, Taylor, Abeid, Obertan, Aarons, Perez.

Interestingly, no Yanga,

Suspect we might see Obertan, Aarons and Perez all coming on at some stage (though would love to see Abeid given a run too).

Agreed! Thought we were the better team in patches but just need a bit better product in the final third. Cabella, Riviere and Colback all making impressive debuts.Janmaat has looked solid too. We really need a quality CB in.

Yeah definitely. I could see their goal unfolding a mile away and we still couldn't stop them.
Janmaat was a bit up and down I thought. Going forward he was good but defensively suspect.

Fell asleep during the second half :oops:

From most accounts, we were pretty unlucky not to get something from the game (keeping in mind we were missing Tiote, De Jong and Santon - who I think would all be in our best side plus Cisse who'd at least make the bench you'd think). Lots of promising signs with Cabella, Riviere, Colback, Perez and even young Rolando Aarons all looking exciting at times!

Remembering we lost 4-0 to City in our first game last season so this is technically an improvement. :D

City's $200m odd squad ultimately showed their quality but that's one of our toughest games of the season out of the way and I think there is promise of good things to come as the players gel and learn to play with each other more.

P.S Tiges had a great win this weekend so I can't be too greedy :p

Perez did some nice things when he came on. Didn't deserve a 2-0 loss at all but that's just the way it goes against top sides. Need to take your chances, because they always will.
Villa away is going to be a good challenge, reckon we can do it though.

Perez did some nice things when he came on. Didn't deserve a 2-0 loss at all but that's just the way it goes against top sides. Need to take your chances, because they always will.
Villa away is going to be a good challenge, reckon we can do it though.

Yeah, Villa look like they could be a tough team away from home, handy little squad. Hopefully Tiote and De Jong will be fit!

Hopefully now that the City game is out of the way, maybe they'll sell us Richards :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha true! Early night I think on the cards!

Nice debut from Colback! More of these performances and he'll win over the Toon army!

10622190_10152343175892712_997046249_n.jpg

Colback was probably our best. Almost the best player on the pitch actually.

What happened to Yanga Mbiwa? Haven't heard that he was injured... Also hope Santon is back soon, Dummett was rubbish

I read Colback was MOTM?

No idea on Yanga, should have been on the bench ahead of Taylor IMO. I like seeing local lads like Dummett in the side but with Santon out, I really prefer Haidara who's looked good when given a go. Offers more going forward too.

Positives first...

Colback - Wow, this guy is a box to box gem, he tackles, tracks back, distributes and has a dangerous strike on him. If this is a preview of what we have for the season then I'd be surprised if he wasn't a first 11 international come soon.

Cabella - needs the ball and needs it ALL the bloody time. A master with the ball and has flair to boot, the type our supporters worship.

Rivière - Not sold, looks dangerous and lively but as was his problem in France he is not a clinical finisher. Double digit goal tally and we've done well, however don't expect much more.

Janmaat - solid debut, he looks good going forward and is ok defensively. Funnily enough he's known as very strong defensively, he will get better. We haven't lost or gained at right back with Debuchy going.

Dummett - never been a fan, similar in my thoughts with Armstrong to. Dummett is a poor mans Perch and Perch was below average, bordering on rubbish.

Colo - he's done lads. Positioning is poor as always but has lost his pace which was his saving grace.

Overall I'm disappointed. Pardew didn't show us anything tactically to suggest he has improved as a manager, this is going to be our biggest issue not the squad. Imagine if we had Martinez!!

Agree with all of that tige. With Riviere, I kind of felt that it may have been nerves that affected his performance - he did some really good things (especially early) but seemed to rush his last touch. Against the reigning champs and in front of his new home crowd (50k of them no less), not to mention he had one of the best center backs in the world in Kompany breathing down his neck. I think he'll take some time to settle in but should be a solid signing for us.

Yeah agree with both your points.

I read somewhere that at the end of last season, there was some talk of Colback becoming a future England midfielder. If he can keep that kind of level/form, will be certainly pushing himself into the frame you'd think! I think Niall Quinn even made mention that Colback had 'gone onto bigger and better things' (by joining us) which is always nice to rub in the Mackems faces haha.

Cabella certainly doesn't lack confidence and his skills and flair will quickly win over the fans you'd think! I'd love to see Ben Arfa back in the side - imagine these 2 together, would be a very frightening prospect for defenders with their technical skills and dribbling. I think Cabella might go down a bit too easily (so hopefully doesn't get a rep for that) but that's not necessarily a bad thing as his movement and dribbling should hopefully see lots of fouls committed against him and causing a few headaches for opposition teams.

Janmaat will get better once he adapts to the pace and speed of the EPL. I think Debuchy had the same problem (it's probably a bit harder to come into the PL as a defender as you're expected to attack down the flanks but also get back and be defensively accountable).

Dummett really should be behind Haidara (and Santon when he's fit) IMO. I suspect Pardew prefers him though sadly which is a shame because I've generally been impressed when Haidara's been given a chance.

Riviere definitely needs a bit more composure but I guess can be excused a bit as rob says - big step up playing Man City with some world class defenders. Not to mention making your debut in front of 52k noisy Toon fans when you're used to playing to a more subdued 6k back at Monaco!

Obertan did nothing really (which is disappointing given he did some nice things in preseason). I'm usually not a negative fan but I think his papers should be stamped and any future sub appearances be given to Aarons.

The other one I wanted to mention was Perez - I think he's more of a 'one for the future' type signing but geez, imagine if he had netted that equaliser! For a 20 year old kid fresh from the Spanish second division playing for a new club, in a new country, he certainly showed why he was pretty highly rated! Hopefully we see more of him.

In transfer news, Redknapp claiming Remy has rejected us.

City apparently have told Matija Nastasic, Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair and John Guidetti they have no future at the club.

Wouldn't mind Nastasic, Richards and Sinclair if I'm honest!

I think Gutierrez, Ben Arfa and Obertan are all on the transfer list and if we could move on Steven Taylor, that would surely free up a bit of wages there.

In transfer news, Redknapp claiming Remy has rejected us.

City apparently have told Matija Nastasic, Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair and John Guidetti they have no future at the club.

Wouldn't mind Nastasic, Richards and Sinclair if I'm honest!

I think Gutierrez, Ben Arfa and Obertan are all on the transfer list and if we could move on Steven Taylor, that would surely free up a bit of wages there.

Matija Nastasic is a pipe dream I think, I would absolutely jizz my panst if we got him but I think the more realistic option is Richards. Nastasic probably see's us as to much of a step back considering he graduated from being a regular at Fiorentina ( above Newcastle) to Man City, and by the looks of it he will go to Arsenal, plus his wages would be quite large. Sinclair? I'll pass on him, he is a typical journeyman who has never found his place at a football club, has a ton of talent but has never made any good of it.

I really wish Mike Ashley could see how big our club could be and really invest in it on the park, we need to throw away that 'development club' tag that players use for to take the next step onto bigger things and start mixing it with the big boys. I'll give Ashley credit, he is a smart operator, our club is now debt free and strong financially but he will never win the fans over until he really invest in Newcastle on the pitch and that means wages of 70-80k+ and 10-15 mill transfer buys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back