The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Newcastle club statement read that 'Crystal Palace have offered compensation at a level whereby Alan has now been permitted to speak to them.' He's gone.

De Boer has already said he won't leave Ajax during the season, maybe one for the off-season merry-go-round.

Beardsley has some support and the usual names like Pulis, Bruce, Benitez and Sherwood have been mentioned. Galtier a possible chance.

If Pardew has only been given permission to talk to them, then technically speaking, nothing has happened 'yet' (though all reports looks like it could - and I hope, does mean his tenure at the club is fast approaching it's end). Fingers crossed!

I don't want to get too excited just yet - we all thought he was 'gone' when Ashley told a reporter earlier in the season he would sack Pardew if he lost to Stoke (which he did). When it comes to the greedy Ashley, no one really knows.

De Boer is a long shot but he'd be great if we could snare him - though as you say, his agent has advised no approach has been made and that he isn't looking to leave mid season. Plus any deal would require Cashley to dig deep into his pockets which I'm sure he'd been keen to avoid.

Galtier was one I definitely had on my radar but since we've lost quite a few of the French brigade (and with rumours of Sissoko potentially being sold in January), maybe his appeal has diminished a bit.

Would be happy with someone like Carver or Beardsley until the end of the season and then they can go at the best available.
Colo managing makes no sense anyway, he never fronts the media and he can barely manage the defense, let alone the whole team.

Yeah, I think we are close enough to safety with the points on board to be able to risk it with Carver and Stone (the reported duo who will handle the next 2 matches). Plus Colo doesn't have any coaching qualifications as far as I know.

An interesting suggestion I read was Cashley is looking to step up his interest in Rangers and wants to sell us - so removing a manager with the better part of 5 years on his contract and giving any potential new buyer the chance to appoint their own manager could potentially help facilitate a deal.

Cashley doesn't do best available.:eek:
Compensation is about $Au 3.5 mill apparently.
I agree Carver or Beardsley and try to land someone like De Boer.
I can't see it doing the club any harm if Pardew goes and we go for a good rather than Joe Kinnear style of idiot appointment.
Fingers crossed.:D

If Cashley wants to put a caretaker manager in for the rest of the season, I wouldn't mind even Chrissy Hughton coming in (any one really as long as they aren't named Joke Kinnear!)

Maybe there is a late Christmas present to come? ;)

Great news with Sissoko coming out and saying he has no interest in leaving the club. Perhaps the failed Cabaye move to PSG has turned him off? Moussa has been nothing short of brilliant.

I'll feel safe about Sissoko staying when February rolls around and he's still at the club. Andy Carroll never wanted to leave either but Liverpool made an offer Ashley (and maybe no sane man) could refuse. Arsene is typically more conservative with his spending money so crazy money probably won't be on offer. Still, what's Ashley's price?

Agreed about Sissoko...if we lost him, it be like Cabaye last season...we'd probably lose all steam in the second half of the season and limp home.

Bad news about Cisse getting his 3 game ban (plus he's off to the Africa Cup of Nations I believe) so might be gone until mid Feb or so which is a worry (especially if we don't get a striker in or Perez goes down). Really need Riviere to seize his chance and the returning De Jong to find his feet quickly. Had to laugh at Martinez's comments on Cisse - the same guy who defended McNamara's horror (and unpunished) tackle on Haidara 2 seasons ago...

Beardsley (as Tige mentioned) would have been a good shout out - our U21 side is top of the table, 2 points clear with a game in hand (must be going alright given how many of our better kids have been used in the first team of late).

Bilic is a bit of a left field option but he'd be a great appointment too.

I saw Roeder was saying we should go for Klopp! Good luck with an owner with 0% ambition! :D

I like Carver's ambition if nothing else.

“My ambition is definitely still the same as Sir Bobby’s, without a shadow of a doubt,” said Carver. “Any player would snap your hand off to play in the Champions League. If a player leaves, it’s usually because they can’t get Champions League football so, if we haven’t got that ambition to get there, then we’re all wasting our time, in my opinion. It’s no good just turning up thinking mediocrity is good enough. Let’s go and win every game if we can.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/31/john-carver-newcastle-united-bobby-robson
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/31/john-carver-newcastle-united-bobby-robson
Though I think he put Pardew in the same bracket too as Sir Bobby which detracts a bit!

I like Carver's ambition if nothing else.

“My ambition is definitely still the same as Sir Bobby’s, without a shadow of a doubt,” said Carver. “Any player would snap your hand off to play in the Champions League. If a player leaves, it’s usually because they can’t get Champions League football so, if we haven’t got that ambition to get there, then we’re all wasting our time, in my opinion. It’s no good just turning up thinking mediocrity is good enough. Let’s go and win every game if we can.”

Though I think he put Pardew in the same bracket too as Sir Bobby which detracts a bit!

I've always like Carver, he's an honest Geordie with ambition and he'd certainly have support of the locals initially. Long term I'm not sure he is what we need, it's been stated in the papers that Ashley is going to look abroad and for me that works.

Only in England are the first team coaches managers as such, all through Europe the financial side of the club in regards to transfers ( buying and selling) is done by the club administration with approvals from owners/chairman. To be fair the English managers are spoiled, their inflated egos spoon feed their mind that not only are they great coaches but they are qualified accountants, finance advisers and brokers.

Galtier would be my choice, it looks as though he could be gettable as well. I wouldn't be surprised though if Carver is given the reigns until the end of the season.

I've always like Carver, he's an honest Geordie with ambition and he'd certainly have support of the locals initially. Long term I'm not sure he is what we need, it's been stated in the papers that Ashley is going to look abroad and for me that works.

Only in England are the first team coaches managers as such, all through Europe the financial side of the club in regards to transfers ( buying and selling) is done by the club administration with approvals from owners/chairman. To be fair the English managers are spoiled, their inflated egos spoon feed their mind that not only are they great coaches but they are qualified accountants, finance advisers and brokers.

Galtier would be my choice, it looks as though he could be gettable as well. I wouldn't be surprised though if Carver is given the reigns until the end of the season.

Yeah, if reports are to be believed, Ashley may favour a continental appointment as they are more likely to be relaxed about working with the existing transfer structure (scouted by Carr, negotiated by Charnley and 'some' input given by the manager). If that is the case, any of Galtier, De Boer or Billic would be great gets.

Happy to give Carver a chance, both Gullit and Sir Bobby must have seen something in him. If he wants the job, he's got to perform now he's got the chance.

Big game tonight against Burnley!

It seems I may regret this decision from time to time but the decision has been made...The decision was based upon not picking one of the more famous clubs that every tom, dick and harry support but a club with a rich history and loyal fans and tbh a club that doesn't look like relegating anytime soon....touch wood.

Im Aboard the Newcastle train. :cool:

It seems I may regret this decision from time to time but the decision has been made...The decision was based upon not picking one of the more famous clubs that every tom, dick and harry support but a club with a rich history and loyal fans and tbh a club that doesn't look like relegating anytime soon....touch wood.

Im Aboard the Newcastle train. :cool:

Good lad!!! We're happy to have you onboard mate!

Get ready for a lot of anger, confusion and heartache but on those rare times when things click, there is nothing more sweet than seeing a Toon win! ;)

Good lad!!! We're happy to have you onboard mate!

Get ready for a lot of anger, confusion and heartache but on those rare times when things click, there is nothing more sweet than seeing a Toon win! ;)

Great to be along for the ride, With any luck we can start 2015 with a win tonight.

Great to be along for the ride, With any luck we can start 2015 with a win tonight.

Hope you're right mate! Shakey start. They hit the bar less than a minute in...

10695_791166914264222_590681285822046972_n.jpg

10891446_342466395941803_3120127367449683532_n.jpg

Good to see Santon back on the bench after a long absence. Great to see Riviere also getting a chance to start and play next to another striker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good half outside of the OG. 2-1.

We should go on and win this, still got 3 subs to use where they have used all 3 and have a makeshift back 4.

Riviere has looked good with another striker next to him. Should have scored.

Riviere off for Armstrong? okay...

Taylor (inj) for Williamson? okay...

Haidara (a LB) on for Gouffran? When we're 2-2 at home to Burnley? The feck? :confused:

3-3 FT. Shocking result for us to concede 3 against Burnley at home.

Dummett was terrible - the OG was a brain fade and was poorly marking Ings for the second goal.

Alnwick, don't want to rip into the kid but he's not ready and way out of his depth. Think they had 4 shots on goal for the whole game...and score 3. Doesn't help having the useless Williamson ahead of him I guess.

Think I read Alnwick has now conceded more goals in his stint in the team than Krul has for the entire season. Scary if true...

As for us...Bring back Pardew! :p

If Carver doesn't learn from this morning for the next league game then he can't stay in the seat, it's up to him!

1. Gouffran does not start
2. Cabella must start
3. Rivière is not PL standard
4. Dummett must not start
5. Williamson must not start
6. Subbing attackers for defenders at home when chasing a win is not feasible
7. We must get a GK on loan

The sale of Mbia is now looking like another utensil up by the club, as is the lack of ability to bring a Centre Back in. Time to just play our best 11!

Schwarzer
Santon Janmatt Colo Haidara
Colback Tiote
Cabella Sissoko Ameobi
Perez

If Ameobi can walk he can play, Janmatt has been our best all season and is a big strong lad so I'm sure he'd be fine in a central defensive role. Schwarzer is coming in on load I've decided, get it done Carr.

Interesting few days ahead.

Ronald Koeman please.:D

Isn't he doing a great job with Saints? Koeman's funny though he doesn't seem to stay long in one spot. He's been a manager since 2000 and has managed 8 clubs in that time. And that's after 5 years at Ajax 2001-05. So he's due for a change. :D He did break his contract at Feyenoord to move to Southampton.

So who is favourite today anyway? :p

Koeman's welcome to break his contract and leave after consecutive doubles and brilliant Champions league campaigns;).
Yeah he's done a fab job at the Saints.

Can't believe he's gone! And Cashley even got a reported $3.5m for him.

Amazing to think Perez cost us $1.5m, Sissoko reportedly $1.8m and Colback on a free.

Now the circus for our next manager begins in proper, hope we don't wait too long to make an appointment.

Great week to start supporting :D

Anybody have any ideas on who we are looking at ?

If nothing else, we're never boring - always some new drama going on at the club! :D

The official club statement mentioned "The search for a head coach has begun and an announcement will follow in due course.” Think that suggests the rumours of looking for a continental manager could be likely - and that whoever we appoint won't have full control over transfers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back