The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reported team for tonight's FA Cup match against Leicester.

Great to see Santon back in the team along with starts for Armstrong, Haidara (Dummett at CB) and Riviere (who I thought looked good against Burnley).

but...

Williamson and no Sissoko, Janmaat, Cisse (ban), Colback and Perez either on the field or the bench is cause for concern. If we don't pull something out of our backsides like we did at City, suspect our cup run for another season could be over...

(4-3-3) Alnwick; Santon, Williamson, Dummett, Haïdara; Anita, Tioté (c), Vučkić; Armstrong, Rivière, Cabella.

Subs: Woodman, Satka, Bigirimana, Roberts, Gouffran, Gilliead, Campbell.

10388093_10202539569764917_7012865525769472503_n.jpg

Some bad news - Taylor confirmed he's out for the rest of the season.

Some reports that the club has approached Arsenal about a sale of Sissoko this window and reports in France, Ben Arfa could have his contract torn up before the end of the season.

Newcastle again tumble out of the FA Cup this time 1-0 to Leicester to concentrate on EPL survival.

Reports from the UK that the new manager(coach) will be continental European. Names being bandied about are:

Remi Garde
Dick Advocaat
Chrisophe Galtier
Lucien Favre

Temuri Ketsbaia has put his hand up for the job.

Some talk an appointment could be made before the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge.

Ketsbaia wants the job, he was a decent midfielder for us years ago. Has champions league experience and would have the support of the fans, the guy is very ambitious as well which is great. We could do worst!

Just read that Benitez is the front runner for the job, fanciful I would think but if he wants the job let's roll out the red carpet.

Never liked Benitez but remember Ketsbaia he was good value as a player;energizer bunny.
Coaching record seems OK or better;there's some interesting names being thrown about,hope whoever gets it says Sissoko has to stay:oops::oops:oops that's when things go back to SNAFU.
View attachment 101068
Temuri Ketsbaia wants the Newcastle United job - and here's his plan for glory

Champions league title with an average pool team is enough for me, if Rafa put his hand up id take him! It's all rubbish anyway, we'll probably give the job to Carver in the end.

A personal dislike with Rafa,just feel he underachieved with Liverpool in the EPL and that's where we are.
I know his overall record is tasty but he's a big player,would command large loot and as you say Cashley is the decision maker.
Cashley has not shown himself able or motivated to handle a big character/personality/expert.
Who we appoint is gonna tell a story of our long term ambition and Cashley's intent.

Lee Clarke being thrown around now, for me he would be the best fit if we are going down the British path. Clarke is steering Birmingham to a mid table finish, a club with literally not a cent in their bank account! He is a Geordie and knows the club inside/out and he is young, the only British 'coach' I'd be happy with.

Rafa is a pipedream.

Laudrup would be great, he knows the PL and has a bit Mourinho spunk about him, I don't think Ashley would want a personality like that though.

I really don't know what directon we will go, it needs to be right otherwise we could be in the championship in 2016.

Ben Arfa has been released from his Newcastle contract ahead of his switch to Nice.

Glen Hoddle is the latest name linked to the Newcastle job but his bizarre and distasteful comments about people with disability are being raised.

Some bad news - Taylor confirmed he's out for the rest of the season.

Some reports that the club has approached Arsenal about a sale of Sissoko this window and reports in France, Ben Arfa could have his contract torn up before the end of the season.

Been a bit out of the loop, Steven or Ryan?

Shocking to lose in the FA Cup... was annoying to draw another PL team but should have won. Not sure why we didn't take in ONE of Colback or Sissoko, our two form men in the middle of the park.

Been a bit out of the loop, Steven or Ryan?

Shocking to lose in the FA Cup... was annoying to draw another PL team but should have won. Not sure why we didn't take in ONE of Colback or Sissoko, our two form men in the middle of the park.

Steven - typical of him, plays a few decent games and then gets injured. Bit of a shame given it opens the door for Williamson back into the side...

Some worrying rumours that Man Utd and Arsenal may battle for Perez's signature this month...would be typical of Ashley to sell one of our brightest young players!

In some better news Krul is apparently back in training and set to be back for the Chelsea game on the weekend.

The Chronicle are reporting that this is the shortlist for the job. Would love Galtier or even Tuchel (who apparently is labelled the new Klopp in Germany) - only problem is I think both won't be looking to move until the end of the season.

Ketsbaia would be an interesting choice too - think he led an unfancied Cypriot team into the Champions League group stages and then dipped into international management before falling out with the team's FA. Wouldn't mind him as a caretaker until the end of the season. I don't mind Carver but I think he will struggle to help us hold onto a top 10 finish (which is all we have to play for now the cups are done for another year).

934835_794608530610851_1370105250964499472_n.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the most inspiring list!! I have a gut feeling we will go for Clement, I think Ashley likes the Pommy coaches and Clement has done a cracking apprentaship and would be cheaper than anyone else on that list bar Carver.

From the chronicles group I would jump at Galtier or Tuchel with Garde on the next level. A big no to the rest bar Clement who could be a closet mastermind.

I honestly have no idea what we'll end up doing. Reminds me of this - maybe a NUFC version of the game will be released? :p

10904394_897638620260557_1838090417565989004_o.jpg

Sky Italia have reported we have placed a loan bid on M’Baye Niang.

Read somewhere Chucky (Ferreyra) may have his loan terminated in Jan too so he can find a move elsewhere.

Another interesting rumour I think I saw a few days back was a swap deal with PSG for Cabaye with Sissoko going the other way. Wouldn't mind that - if Sissoko has to leave (would rather he stays obviously) better to get some quality back in to fill the void. Plus, I'd rather see him not playing (likely well) against us either! :D

ALL the papers in Britain are reporting that Remi Garde has put his hand up. For me it's a great appointment should we get the guy, he is still young and is a real likeable guy. He was adored at Lyon, I remember reading fan boards when he moved on and there was not a bad word said about him.

So who is Garde? Without doing to much research..... Good footballer, international for France, was a midfielder with a knack for the goals. He spent time under Houllier ( which is a definite negative) as an assistant before taking over full time at Lyon. I don't think he won a title ( stand to be corrected) but had success in the Cup competitions and in Europe. Having manager one of the bigger clubs in Europe and Frances most successful football club I think he would be a great fit especially with our French players.

In other news the beats of the drums about Sissoko keep getting louder! Will MA ever learn?

Garde seems to be the most keen on the job (probably as he is unemployed) - I think the appeal of him being able to come in effective immediately is pretty tempting (as I've got doubts on Carver's ability to lead us through the second half of the season). Believe Garde also had a stint with Arsenal during his playing days so should have some knowledge and understanding of the English game.

De Boer would still be my dream - had some nice things to say overnight. Though the last line is probably an indicator he won't consider moving to us (at least while Ashley's zero ambition regime is in effect).

De Boer said: “I’ve read the newspapers.

“Newcastle are a sleeping giant, with a great stadium and most loyal fans, but what else can I say?

“I’ll be with Ajax for the remainder of the season anyway.

“I will consider a move, if any, in the summer, but only when a great club shows an interest.”

Also some good news - PSG and Blanc have come out and said they won't try and sign Sissoko this window, just got to keep Arsenal away now! :cool:

Even better news, Krul is fit again and will almost certainly be in goal for the Chelsea game tonight!

Carver had a bit of fun at the press conference too - told Mourinho we'd be bringing our own ball boys :D

We have started very well away from home;couple of chances we didn't make the most of and coupla refs decisions weren't too good.
Need to realise John Terry is one of the most accomplished and aggressive aerial ball winners in the EPL..keep it on the ground near him.
We've started targeting him on the ground with Capella and Sissoko and we could easily have been two goals in front.

Last edited:
The Pensioners are falling to bits(I hope)maybe having to make their 2nd sun in the first half.
And then we get skinned by a primary school lapse in concentration.
We better bash them second half they're there to be bashed but we better get right on top of them.They scored from their only shot on target.

Sammy was good when he came on,Riviere couple of good touches but we needed game changing impact.Williamson and Dunnet could be upgraded,Anita nothing like I thought he might develop but still solid for 90.Perez better than solid for 90.
Typical game of two halves.We started well and basically dominated the entire half;great intensity and style,really on the front foot with Chelsea backpeddling and not at the races(miles from Blaydon:cool:)but we couldn't convert any of the chances we created and there were plenty.I sat here thinking 'if we don't put one of these away we won't win.
I heard Carver's post match presser and he said it was the first full week he has had them on the track and praised their execution of the game plan.
Then some amateurish concentration from a corner an 1-0 from Chelsea's first shot a couple of minutes before the half.:rolleyes:
Second half was a reverse of the first with Chelsea enjoying long periods of dominance and ultimately deserving the win;as they should,at home with every player in the world they want and a wages bill of a trillion an hour.
Edit:Dunno how I could have forgotten Janmaat he's is all muscle and class.

Last edited:
ALL the papers in Britain are reporting that Remi Garde has put his hand up. For me it's a great appointment should we get the guy, he is still young and is a real likeable guy. He was adored at Lyon, I remember reading fan boards when he moved on and there was not a bad word said about him.

So who is Garde? Without doing to much research..... Good footballer, international for France, was a midfielder with a knack for the goals. He spent time under Houllier ( which is a definite negative) as an assistant before taking over full time at Lyon. I don't think he won a title ( stand to be corrected) but had success in the Cup competitions and in Europe. Having manager one of the bigger clubs in Europe and Frances most successful football club I think he would be a great fit especially with our French players.

In other news the beats of the drums about Sissoko keep getting louder! Will MA ever learn?

You forgot the most important part

R%2525C3%2525A9mi%252520Garde%252520Panini%252520Arsenal%2525201997.png

Won the league with Arsenal in 97/98

I watch Williamson religiously because I want to see how *ed the guy is, the way he ball watches and fails to recognise runs from forwards is Sunday park level. I HATE the peasant!

Gouffran had a good free kick but apart from that did absolutely fhhaaaaarrrrrrrkkkkiiinnggg nothing, why wouldn't we start Sammy over him? Gouff doesn't track back anymore anyway. Cabella is a little whizz, if Pardew had of given him free reign from the start of the campaign the guy would be a jet by now. A special talent who is just lacking the finishing touch, he's 85% there.

Dummett is a useless, hurry up Davide and get back into the 11 ( I've always loved his commitment to the club).

Colback is a ripper, runs all day and controlled the midfield. He is Shane Parker with a left foot and more mongrel, nice footballer. Perez in 12 months LOOK OUT.

Overall our squad has a lot of talent especially Rolando coming back and hopefully Papiss gaining full fitness. We are a top notch managers dream job outside of the CL clubs. If Garde can harness the French guys and play all our talent in the right position we are a European club, Europa levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back