The TOP 10 from the last 15 (1999)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sports_Support

Sports Support
Dec 30, 2010
Bundoora
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't say a lot at this stage but, according to AFL VIC, it has been 15 years since the last metro carnival was played...

Our thoughts were that some players over that period may want their combined side "Day in the Sun" so to speak...? We are asking the same question across the other 5 competitions and voting will commence to find the TOP 3 shortly (6 leagues X 3 players from each... Try to cryptically work out what 18 has to do with footy...)

Anyway, here's my picks based on finals success, on field ability and league stature; No particular order (Below I've jotted down 12, list as many as you want, it is just to help us short list the TOP 10... AND try to pick legitimate DVFL/NFL players with about 5 Div 1 years under their belt.)

Trevor Robinson
Joe Amad
Saul Caddy
Blair Harvey
Leigh Gray (Based on other opinions, I've never really seen it...!)
Damien Yze
Brett Jefferies
Steven Marshall
Shane Harvey
Cameron Cloke
Micky Gay
Shane Tennant

More will be revealed this Sunday at 1pm on 1116SEN.

Last edited:
Might pay to look at the NFL/DVFL last 15 best and fairest winners. Who would you have in and who would you leave out.

I can't say a lot at this stage but, according to AFL VIC, it has been 15 years since the last metro carnival was played...

Our thoughts were that some players over that period may want their combined side "Day in the Sun" so to speak...? We are asking the same question across the other 5 competitions and voting will commence to find the TOP 3 shortly (6 leagues X 3 players from each... Try to cryptically work out what 18 has to do with footy...)

Anyway, here's my picks based on finals success, on field ability and league stature; No particular order (Below I've jotted down 12, list as many as you want, it is just to help us short list the TOP 10... AND try to pick legitimate DVFL/NFL players with about 5 Div 1 years under their belt.)

Trevor Robinson
Joe Amad
Saul Caddy
Blair Harvey
Damien Yze
Brett Jefferies
Steven Marshall
Shane Harvey
Cameron Cloke
Micky Gay
Shane Tennant

Very hard to do this, but Blair Harvey, Marshall, Tennant and Gay wouldn't be in the top 50 players of the last 15 years!

Very hard to do this, but Blair Harvey, Marshall, Tennant and Gay wouldn't be in the top 50 players of the last 15 years!

Blair has just about the most decorated playing record in DVFL history, (IMO) I'd have Tennant pick 1 in the comp ATM (CHB That play ahead of the game and beat their man consistently are golden), Gay dominated at Heidelberg and even back to when he was at Epping - Massive man to stop and Soppa... well he was in my wedding party so I thought I'd throw him in...!!! 8 from 12's not bad

Surely there is someone else with a list of their own and not just suggestions on how to improve mine.

Blair has just about the most decorated playing record in DVFL history, (IMO) I'd have Tennant pick 1 in the comp ATM (CHB That play ahead of the game and beat their man consistently are golden), Gay dominated at Heidelberg and even back to when he was at Epping - Massive man to stop and Soppa... well he was in my wedding party so I thought I'd throw him in...!!! 8 from 12's not bad

Surely there is someone else with a list of their own and not just suggestions on how to improve mine.
blair harvey, dale nolan,heath ayres,brett jeffreys,jake king,cameron cloke,chris hall,tennant,keenan,justin murphy,shane harvey,fabian carelli,paul king,mick gay,daniel king.

Epping's next ruckman after Gay, Daniel King was a far better player 2 comp BnF's. He used to date big Micky.

This amazes me.

Trevor Robinson
Joe Amad
Saul Caddy
Blair Harvey
Damien Yze
Brett Jefferies
Steven Marshall
Shane Harvey
Cameron Cloke
Micky Gay
Shane Tennant

Mick Gay, Shane Tennant and Steve Marshall shouldnt be anywhere near the rest! alot better players have played before them!

I didn't get to see much of the Northcote Park era from 1999-2002 but I'm assuming there are probably a couple of guys from those sides that should be on the list. I've been watching the league closely (as a Heidelberg supporter so I'm biased) from about 2004 onwards and have included the following:

1. Dale Nolan
2. Mark McGough
3. Shane Harvey
4. Blair Harvey
5. Cam Cloke
6. Justin Murphy
7. Gary Moorcroft
8. Paul Scanlon
9. Michael Finn
10. Saul Caddy

Honorable mentions to: Daniel King, Daniel Keenan, Matthew Dennis, Brett Jeffrey, Brett Hancock, Leigh Gray, Danny Nolan, Brayden Shaw, Bronik Davies, Fabian Carelli, Dean Haydock, Jarrod King, Daniel Moore, Chris Hall, Jake Williams (Heid), Anthony Mellinton, Michael Gay (anyone who saw this man in his prime in could not disagree).

Players that only played one season during this period that probably would have made the list had they played on longer are Jason Heatley, Donato Deangelis and Nick Meese.

Apologies to those I've missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto... Don, nosecondprize & Cannons - Who's the top 5 along the spine right now...? It's no real secret that i'm NOT from MONT so there's no rose coloured glasses from my end... I reckon you'd struggle to find a better CHB - Every time I've ventured out to Para Rd or the opposition they're playing I've seen him back into plenty of packs, beats his man consistently, plays a solid game with amazing hands over head and always controls the play when he has the ball at a measured pace. This is what I've seen consistently across the last 4 or 5 years... (Maybe 2011 was a lull...?) Interested to hear ya thoughts boys and be corrected... I'll remind you of a Dermot Bretton special comment that's often raised "ALL through the 80's, with the star studded line up we had - Chris Mew was always the first picked and we worked the side around him" Its not always about the names in the bright lights for me guys.

And you'll notice he's not included in the TOP 10 - I took the majority opinion into consideration...!

Righto... Don, nosecondprize & Cannons - Who's the top 5 along the spine right now...? It's no real secret that i'm NOT from MONT so there's no rose coloured glasses from my end... I reckon you'd struggle to find a better CHB - Every time I've ventured out to Para Rd or the opposition they're playing I've seen him back into plenty of packs, beats his man consistently, plays a solid game with amazing hands over head and always controls the play when he has the ball at a measured pace. This is what I've seen consistently across the last 4 or 5 years... (Maybe 2011 was a lull...?) Interested to hear ya thoughts boys and be corrected... I'll remind you of a Dermot Bretton special comment that's often raised "ALL through the 80's, with the star studded line up we had - Chris Mew was always the first picked and we worked the side around him" Its not always about the names in the bright lights for me guys.

And you'll notice he's not included in the TOP 10 - I took the majority opinion into consideration...!

Para rd is a dream for backmen, nice and small so no forwards have any space, he pays no respect to his man (which you can on para rd) once you get him on a big ground he gets found out.
Now in saying all the that, he is definitely a good backmen, but honestly how many gun chf are there running around? By you nominating him for the top 10 of the past 15 years, means that you think he couldve taken and beaten a young Dale Nolan or Strooper, when I think that they would have a day out against him

I'm not sure Cannons, you didn't name any... It amazes me that you couldn't come up with a better one...!!!!

I'll stand by it - AND IN MY OPINION...
I think you could have tried harder to come up with a name...?!?

Cam is the obvious choice at the moment but other than him, I'd struggle to find another name I'd rather see on my clubs team sheet.

I'm not sure Cannons, you didn't name any... It amazes me that you couldn't come up with a better one...!!!!
I'll stand by it - AND IN MY OPINION... I think you could have tried harder to come up with a name...?!?

Cam is the obvious choice at the moment but other than him, I'd struggle to find another name I'd rather see on my clubs team sheet.

My problem isnt with you having him as one of the best backmen in the league atm, its naming him top 10 in the last 10 years, Matty Amad, Dean Sinclair, Simon Grossman, Brett Hancock, Dale Nolan(when he played back) are all miles ahead of him, hell even Gloury, Sheldon and Kennedy are better than him in the same era, and this isnt an opinion just from watching them, I have played against all of them excluding Amad.

Last edited:
Dean Sinclair was a great umpire - I'd have my money on Darryl... (Slip up, I'm sure... Just being a smart arse)

I like Benny as an angry Backman but as I said "No rose coloured glasses for mine"

Gadget and Dash were more 90's Superstars wouldn't you agree, champions well beyond that of course but their finest work was done pre 1999...??? 1999> was the first post... Grossman is a fair call and so to is Danny (Dale ended up on the short list, hopefully we have the right first names on this one...?!?!? Maybe they have a brother Derrick who is a legendary umpire...?!?). Matty was a BULL and the rivalry between him and Robbo was legendary in the early 00's...! But...

You were amazed with my comment - (IMO) I'd have Tennant pick 1 in the comp ATM (CHB That play ahead of the game and beat their man consistently are golden)... ATM - At The Moment... Pretty sure the boys you've mentioned have packed up the playing gear or moved on from the comp. You even half agreed that he moves off his man (You put it pays no respect, I feel its confidence in ability - Tomato, Tamato...) - Its all just good talking points anyway, no real need to be soooooo amazed...!!!

Dean Sinclair was a great umpire - I'd have my money on Darryl... (Slip up, I'm sure... Just being a smart arse)

I like Benny as an angry Backman but as I said "No rose coloured glasses for mine"

Gadget and Dash were more 90's Superstars wouldn't you agree, champions well beyond that of course but their finest work was done pre 1999...??? 1999> was the first post... Grossman is a fair call and so to is Danny (Dale ended up on the short list, hopefully we have the right first names on this one...?!?!? Maybe they have a brother Derrick who is a legendary umpire...?!?). Matty was a BULL and the rivalry between him and Robbo was legendary in the early 00's...! But...

You were amazed with my comment - (IMO) I'd have Tennant pick 1 in the comp ATM (CHB That play ahead of the game and beat their man consistently are golden)... ATM - At The Moment... Pretty sure the boys you've mentioned have packed up the playing gear or moved on from the comp. You even half agreed that he moves off his man (You put it pays no respect, I feel its confidence in ability - Tomato, Tamato...) - Its all just good talking points anyway, no real need to be soooooo amazed...!!! Have you voted yet...? www.facebook.com/sportssupport

15 years ago is 99, gadget played in the 05 granny and was just about BOG, amad went on to win 4 flags in a row, sinclair won a flag in 98 and was still killing it when he stopped in 05,06?, Grossman was probably the best back in the league for much of the 00's and Dale Nolan was arguably the best player in the league for the 00's, all of them miles ahead of tennant.

as for being first picked in the league, cloke, davies, dennis, carter, harvey, jackson, willits, kennedy are just a few names that would be first choices before him, hes confident in his ability on monts ground because 9 times out of 10 they win by 10 goals there, but the last 5 years when they have travelled to Bill lawry oval, where NP have taken the chocolates 4 times out of 5, he has been non existent, this to me says he cant adapt to his game to playing tight 1on1 defense.
Defense wins you finals and him being Monts main man down back has not stepped up to the plate.

You were amazed with my comment - (IMO) I'd have Tennant pick 1 in the comp ATM (CHB That play ahead of the game and beat their man consistently are golden)... ATM - At The Moment... Pretty sure the boys you've mentioned have packed up the playing gear or moved on from the comp. You even half agreed that he moves off his man (You put it pays no respect, I feel its confidence in ability - Tomato, Tamato...) - Its all just good talking points anyway, no real need to be soooooo amazed...!!! Have you voted yet...? www.facebook.com/sportssupport

Keenan top 10? this amazes me also, the only reason he got 30 plus touches a game is because the oppostion wouldnt tag him because they knew they would get the ball back 30 times from him.

Bevan, Martello, Anderson, Carelli, Ayres and im sure there is a handful of heidelberg players im forgetting that are better then him.

Last edited:
Was Gadget player coach that year... Adam Smith played and was his right hand man... Did they both play... I'm not sure...??? Anyway no argument there, he's a gun... Dash played right through to the D2 2007 Grand Final and stayed with Lalor while they bounced around from D1 to D2... Absolute Legend on many levels for mine, we've had quite a lot to do with each other over the past 30 years or so...

Again, I'm saying AT THE MOMENT... Willits is a good one but its only recent and he's not the best forward in the comp - You guys have him at Bundoora.

Me, and this is just my opinion - Solid, consistent BACKMAN across the half back line are golden... Name the better one AT THE MOMENT who is consistently better across half back...? Mid's need to kick bags of goals to be as valuable as CHB or CHF.... Or even ruckman that pack mark and rebound. Did any on-ballers finish in the top 5 goal kicking this year... I'm not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back