The Top 10 Problems Facing Humanity in the next decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn winning 4 in a row must surely rank up there in the top 10.;)

Nah.....Stick with Mr Malthus & go with Over-population....Our current world-wide population is Unsustainable.

The final solution: ....Soylent green.o_O
Malthus has been proven utterly wrong. Global Population is going to peak within our lifetimes. Declining populations are going to be a big problem in many economies going forward.

The rise of automation in opinion shaping, warfare and surveilance. The world very quickly needs to divorce itself from the use and abuse of non sentient AI, as a tool of war and oppression.

Chinese economic reforms, or innability to do so. The half hearted attempt at market liberalisation has spectacularly backfired, which has pushed the government in the other direction, however you cannot transition into a post industrial economy without it.

The wealth gap in developed countries. Inequality leads to oppression and or violence. The dominance of the west is in part predicated on political stability. Greed or corruption is undermining this stability and civil unrest could very quickly see global order move to a state of flux.

The price of oil. Dramatically low prices have hurt countries like Russia and Iran. On the one hand this has helped foster a diplomatic solution in Iran, on the other it has made Russia more aggressive. Given instability in Syria and Arab intrigue should any crimps on supply result it could have a dramatic effect on markets. The US and Russia would benefit, but many of the Asian powers would be hurt.

The rise of racist extremism in Europe.

Another US tech bubble busting.

Policy hawks gaining sway in the next US government. War with Iran. Confrontation with Russia. Confrontation with China. Crimping Russian and Chinese power, without confrontation is a chellenge, but direct, or even proxy war, especially in the Asian region would be awful.
Oh for the times when people thought high oil prices was a sign of the apocalypse. 2008. Ah the memories.

Deforestation and habitat loss. Food shortages. Water shortages. Loss of arable land to climate change: droughts and rising sea levels. Running out of fossil fuels.

Are any of you privy to what is happening in Indonesia right now with the burning down of rain forest for palm oil plantations?

It's so depressing. Mankind has a death wish.
Running out of fossil fuels. Climate change. Did you think before posting this?

Malthus has been proven utterly wrong. Global Population is going to peak within our lifetimes. Declining populations are going to be a big problem in many economies going forward.

Declining populations? A problem?

Not in Africa surely?

Running out of fossil fuels. Climate change. Did you think before posting this?

Did YOU?

By the way, climate change does not mean humans are responsible. I personally believe that we are contributing, but there is evidence that the planet goes through temperature flactuation anyway.

But for one second think about how stupid your post is. Running out of fossil fuels. Climate change. Hmm... So the very second we run out of fossil fuels, climate change will be reversed? Wow.

I don’t know if you are aware of what is happening in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Syria, Iran and Iraq, but the notion that Islamic extremist terrorism only happens in the West is quite disturbing.
Again, how many people annually die from terrorism world wide compared to things such as disease and starvation?

I'm not saying that it only happens in the West. What exactly are you reading?

This is the way of americans and has lead to millions of deaths and suffering and countless wars But the dickhead op ignores this.

The americans control and promote Islamic extremism and the dickhead op refuses to mention this.

Putin is standing up to this and the dickhead op says he's crazy? WTF?

The dickhead op says global warming. yet the americans are the ones deliberately stopping action on this, because they are mostly to blame?

Lacks the range and variety of blackcat

#musttryharder
#adhominemfail
#itscalledathesaurus

Again, how many people annually die from terrorism world wide compared to things such as disease and starvation?

I'm not saying that it only happens in the West. What exactly are you reading?
I figured you must be only talking about the West given that you called it a tool used by politicians to tighten legislation and restrict our freedoms.

I doubt we would have 12 million Syrian refugees and displaced people if it wasn't for Islamic extremists. I am not saying the conflict is primarily caused by that, but it certainly has played a role and complicated the situation.

Islamic extremism might not be the greatest threat, but it could be the catalyst for WW3, and general global tension, not to mention the potential victimisation of Muslims the world over.

YES....The gist of his theorem has...but his premise that population growth is the principle cause for future concern hasn't.

Last I checked, there are more people than ever....Your assumption that it will peak soon is just that....An assumption!

More people require more food & more commodities....And we know what problems arise in seeking to meet these demands....Pollution, carbon & ecological stripping.

Population is & should be our number 1 focus going forward.

Declining populations? A problem?

Not in Africa surely?

the birth rates are higher because the death rates are, due to living in an unsustainable habit. suggesting that declining populations will sort out africa's issues without africans knuckling down and sorting out food supply, clean water, sanitation, health care as well as tribal, religious and migration issues (and more) is simply incorrect.

there is more than enough land in africa suitable for farming which could sustain the entire african population at the levels australians enjoy. the issue is not overpopulation it is.......... well i think i've already touched on it.

if anything a declining birth rate will hit africa harder as so few people live to see adulthood.

Last edited:
Did YOU?

By the way, climate change does not mean humans are responsible. I personally believe that we are contributing, but there is evidence that the planet goes through temperature flactuation anyway.

But for one second think about how stupid your post is. Running out of fossil fuels. Climate change. Hmm... So the very second we run out of fossil fuels, climate change will be reversed? Wow.
Might want to tell the IPCC that climate change ain't related to fossil fuel use. You will blow their minds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YES....The gist of his theorem has...but his premise that population growth is the principle cause for future concern hasn't.

Last I checked, there are more people than ever....Your assumption that it will peak soon is just that....An assumption!

More people require more food & more commodities....And we know what problems arise in seeking to meet these demands....Pollution, carbon & ecological stripping.

Population is & should be our number 1 focus going forward.
It's an assumption used as the central scenario of the United Nations and is based off the fact that fertility rates in many countries are below levels needed to sustain populations. To stop the peak before the end of this century we will need to see the discovery of a wonder drug that makes people live to 150 (and even then this will only delay it). A cultural revolution where it becomes the norm to have 3 to 4 kids in a family again would stop the peak. Do you see that happening? I don't.

In no particular order
  • Climate change
  • Islamic extremism (and I don't mean attacks on the West, I mean the murder and subjugation of Muslims by Muslims)
  • Chinese imperialism
  • Russian imperialism
  • Deforestation
  • Overfishing
  • Refugee intakes
  • Rise of ultra nationalist political movements
  • Anti-vaccination extremists
  • Water quality

Anyone see that story on Lateline last night about IS brainwashing Muslim kids?

What a friggin nightmare these people are for the whole Middle east. These IS fanatics are no different from Nazi SS freaks.

Get what you want by murdering, torturing and brainwashing poor defenceless kids.

Sickening stuff to watch it was.

What a friggin nightmare these people are for the whole Middle east. These IS fanatics are no different from Nazi SS freaks.

Get what you want by murdering, torturing and brainwashing poor defenceless kids.

It was on SBS wasn't it? I haven't seen it, I saw the preview and don't think I can stomach it. I hate to think what the next generation of children that IS are bringing up will be like, and how traumatised and damaged the poor bloody kids will be.

see: North Korea.

I think David Williams or whatever the journo who works for Channel4 or the Beeb, has a piece for Dateline lastnight/tonight on the jihadi 8yos.

he was previously at ABC foreigncorrespondent tv program, not sure his base as a correspondent, also, he was on Dateline. Cant remember if his name is Williams, think it is David someone, no doubt MaddAdam is 2 degrees of separation from him, or worked with him. The bald'ish dude. He might have done the channel 4 piece of William Steele, the Nicaragua contras go who was running the shia death squads in Baghdad.

The return of class based society where peoples living standards are determined by their parents wealth and networks and their parents willingness to fund them private education amd provide them with money to enter the housing market.

Chinese and Indian parents are good at that.

It was on SBS wasn't it? I haven't seen it, I saw the preview and don't think I can stomach it. I hate to think what the next generation of children that IS are bringing up will be like, and how traumatised and damaged the poor bloody kids will be.

Join us by the time you're 16 or die..and your parents.

No wonder so many want to get the hell out of there.

In no particular order
  • Climate change
  • Islamic extremism (and I don't mean attacks on the West, I mean the murder and subjugation of Muslims by Muslims)
  • Chinese imperialism
  • Russian imperialism
  • Deforestation
  • Overfishing
  • Refugee intakes
  • Rise of ultra nationalist political movements
  • Anti-vaccination extremists
  • Water quality

Islamic extremism, deforestation, refugee intakes, overfishing, anti vaccination extremists have already been a problem for a considerable amount of time. Most of the world has s**t water quality but that's something I think will be solved and not get worse. Russian and Chinese imperialism? Give us your take on that please.

The return of class based society where peoples living standards are determined by their parents wealth and networks and their parents willingness to fund them private education amd provide them with money to enter the housing market.
Chinese and Indian parents are good at that.
The system including the institutions were already in place in Australian society. They are only taking advantage of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back