Rumour The Trade Rumour File

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to pick up Shaun Mckernan, that elbow to the face he threw down is just the kind of deliberate behind the play sniping freo needs more of. On a lighter note as a rookie pick up i actually wouldn't be disappointed, his older brother was a gun and we get him for nothing

Would rather pick a kid with no right or left foot, questionable decision making on and off the field and poor hygiene.

Mckernan is more spud then Mr Potato Head.

I hope they have a big secret up their sleeves as I also feel we are not going to get anybody amazing.

It saddens me how so many players are now just in this for the money and not the passion - with Buddy leading the way. Imagine if we all decided Hawks were a better option and ditched Freo? love how players like Pav and Fyfe have given us loyalty.
A very naive point of view. In reality, players are a business unto themselves and they need to combine chasing sporting glory/loyalty with making the most of their talents while they can. Their salaries over a 6-12 year career need to set them up for when they retire or possibly have a career cut short by injury.
It takes a lot to put together a coaching staff and player list in order to win a premiership and some players waste their whole careers at clubs that never sort it out and even when they do luck and circumstance get in the way.

It will be interesting to see what Port does now with 2 SA ruck man wanting to return home.
Giles and Gorringe are no spuds.

Does this leave the door open for us to snare Paddy? Our first pick is 4 better than theirs..

Surely Merrett wouldn't command too much money? Despite being a Queensland boy, he's a reasonably intelligent dude (or maybe he just likes good music) and would certainly realise that, at age 30, Freo is a much more attractive option. I can't see it being more than $300,000 a year at the Suns and considering Freo's offer won't be appallingly much below, you have to look at the bigger benefit of playing under a good coach (and it's likely Bluey'll get the arse before 2015), at a top four side, and at a ground that, although a shithole, actually sells out every weekend.

The main thing from Freo's point of view is, how injury prone is he? How likely is he to break down and disrupt the solidity of the six? I think his average season is something you could acknowledge as a one-off. He's never been a star but in a mostly average side, he's done well enough. I think he'd compliment us well, though I'm not entirely sure I rate him in the forward line. If he's cheap, why not.

I personally cannot see Frawley coming over. Melbourne boys really don't like the option of Perth. The option becomes even uglier in comparison to the Hawks (and I'm sure for him, Geelong, though I'd rate us above them for next year).

So I like Malceski. Comes from a good club, has a shocking haircut but hasn't done anything stupid, is a very, very good defender and could fill that McPharlin void.

However, maybe it's not the backline. I rate Silvagni extremely highly. He should be a 130 gamer at this stage in his career. He's been very loyal to Fremantle and hopefully he has a champion season next year. I always thought he was a confidence player, quite often the game was won or lost in the first quarter for him, but he's been a noble serviceman when coming in against guns like Buddy and Roughy with little time to get into the AFL groove. So of course there's that.

I personally think Ryder is the biggest name we could get, but it seems it'll be Port who grab him and the Lions if not.

I'd really like us to go after young Tim Membrey, I think he would be far cheaper than a Frawley or a Ryder, and yet has the potential to be a solid KPF for us - without breaking the bank.

Yeah, not a bad call BPG. Membery could be good value for money pickup for sure - though he's not in the same league as Frawley or Ryder in terms of being a genuine tall KPP or Ruck/Fwd that we all want on our list.

Not sure how easy it would be to get him here - I suspect a few clubs are going to make offers to him, so in the end he might not come that cheep. Could also end up being a bit of a fringe 22 on our list which we have a bit of at the moment - bit of a risk in that regard. But if Sydney don't play silly buggers and trade him out fairly modestly (he's not contracted I think), then yeah, I could see us being in the mix.

It will be interesting to see what Port does now with 2 SA ruck man wanting to return home.
Giles and Gorringe are no spuds.

Does this leave the door open for us to snare Paddy? Our first pick is 4 better than theirs..

Nope.

Paddy would be preference over a couple of homesick kids.

I feel this is going to be a quiet year for Freo.

The best action I think we can hope for is a surprise de-listing and then who we actually pick in the draft.

May as well run this up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

Ryan Schoenmachers

By all indication a much better forward than defender. Actually did quite well for Hawks earlier this year when given the chance.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the howls of laughter...

A very naive point of view. In reality, players are a business unto themselves and they need to combine chasing sporting glory/loyalty with making the most of their talents while they can. Their salaries over a 6-12 year career need to set them up for when they retire or possibly have a career cut short by injury.
It takes a lot to put together a coaching staff and player list in order to win a premiership and some players waste their whole careers at clubs that never sort it out and even when they do luck and circumstance get in the way.
Gee and I thought the retirement age was over 65. They can get a real job when they finish :rolleyes: Lots of people have a second career later in life. Even Pav said if he never won a premiership he wouldn't mind as long as he got to play finals, which he has. Loyalty is a good thing. Its not for everyone, but its one area where the AFL used to have it over many other codes. Complimenting someone for being interested in more than money or winning premierships is not naive.

May as well run this up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

Ryan Schoenmachers

By all indication a much better forward than defender. Actually did quite well for Hawks earlier this year when given the chance.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the howls of laughter...

I'd rather Shaun McKernan.

Read my post just earlier to see what I think of that!

not against Shoenmakers... talk is he will head to Adelaide to replace rutten.

we don't need a superstar, we need role players while tabs and apeness develop. I wouldn't say a stop gap but its very likely we will recruit KPP again this year given our earlish pick and a high number of potential KPP available this draft

Hi, just realised you are a shark girl ( there is always next year for the mighty blue and white.). There still is passion, I bleed purple but as a player if someone offered me 10 million over 10 years to play for another team I would consider it. Remember you may not be playing for the team you grew up supporting. Even then if you grew up supporting the egirls you might like the sound of playing for Sidney once you played against the tosses.
is being a shark girl good or bad? lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have done a bit of a matrix of freo needs (based on something I saw on Brisbane's board) to absolve my despair at this years campaign for a flag. I might have a few out of their natural positions, I am a tragic supporter, not a player. It does show that some of the trades recommended are a bit daft. I have only looked up players that have been shopped by their teams (or their BF supporters).

Attachments

• Freo needs matrix.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 3
Channel eagle has reported that with Waite going to north, freo will be looking at a deal to get Black back to WA. Doubtful but I like it, 2nd round tops.

I'm surprised that the Roos web site has him at only 192cm and 88kg - looks taller.
Had a better 2013 season on the back of which they signed him up until end '17 so they'll want a decent trade.
We did chase him last year I understand so we may be looking again.
Strikes me as inconsistent and goes missing during games. Akin to our Zac Clarke who can frustrate as you want more from him. Both have basketball backgrounds so perhaps they'll come good with more time. Zac is testing RTB's patience I perceive so not sure he'd want another with similar traits?

I have done a bit of a matrix of freo needs (based on something I saw on Brisbane's board) to absolve my despair at this years campaign for a flag. I might have a few out of their natural positions, I am a tragic supporter, not a player. It does show that some of the trades recommended are a bit daft. I have only looked up players that have been shopped by their teams (or their BF supporters).
I love things like this.

I'm surprised that the Roos web site has him at only 192cm and 88kg - looks taller.
Had a better 2013 season on the back of which they signed him up until end '17 so they'll want a decent trade.
We did chase him last year I understand so we may be looking again.
Strikes me as inconsistent and goes missing during games. Akin to our Zac Clarke who can frustrate as you want more from him. Both have basketball backgrounds so perhaps they'll come good with more time. Zac is testing RTB's patience I perceive so not sure he'd want another with similar traits?
He's had a shoulder injury that he struggled to get over apparently.

Does that mean it's now a foregone conclusion that we're not getting him? I remember at the end of 2012 Andrew Jarman stating on Adelaide radio that it's been confirmed that Goddard has agreed to terms with Freo and will be in purple in 2013. Different circumstances because we've been openly chasing Frawley, but these radio 'jocks' just talk out of their rear for the most part. If it is true, I hope we haven't upped his money and/or contract length.

I thik we did. last bid was 7 years contract.
I just want it done ; if it means $5mil over 7 years then so be it.

I thik we did. last bid was 7 years contract.
I just want it done ; if it means $5mil over 7 years then so be it.
It's a bit extreme. I bet Dangerfield would come for that coin and contract length. For that money the Hawks can have him. I know we're desperate, but Jesus age Christ.

yea, considering Adelaide is a black hole, entertainment and economically

Only positive is the vino.
Sort of an anti-COLA they have there. Your money goes a long way.

It's at the cost of a decent social life though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back