The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

Got pulled out of the ballot to be able to attend the 100 year anniversary dawn service at Gallipoli. So that's what spurred the trip.

So at the moment planning on going to see the Northern Lights in Norway.

Then going through UK, France, Italy, Netherlands, Germany, Poland and of course Turkey.

You've been J?

Turkey is a great place to visit, admittedly I was only in Istanbul and Gallipoli. Istanbul has a lot of historical sights to visit like the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia as well as Topakapi Palace. The Grand Bazaar is also a great place to visit especially if you want to go shopping. Also worth catching a ferry up the Bosphorus.

There also obviously other great places throughout Turkey like Pammukale with the natural hot springs and ruins, as well as Cappadocia.

I did Egypt, Turkey and Israel 18 years ago with a friend a loved it. Just back packed around and caught local buses. Sailing down the Nile on a faluka was fantastic mind you I can see the point in going on a nice sail ship down the Nile. Catching the local buses in Aswan with the chickens in cages on top of the bus was seriously fun.

Saw the salt pans, yes hagar qim was amazing, infact mind boggling intersting place malta, easy place to visit, people are genuine

Hihly recommend to anyone considering.
Tiny place, but need too long to see all the cool stuff. Can't wait to got back again for a decent stretch again.

My wife and I are catching up with my daughter for her birthday in November. We're meeting in Ho Chi Minh City, travelling through Cambodia and finishing in Bangkok. Not quite two weeks but our daughter has been away for nearly six months now so it will be a grand occasion when we meet again. Anyone tried the deep fried spiders?

My wife and I are catching up with my daughter for her birthday in November. We're meeting in Ho Chi Minh City, travelling through Cambodia and finishing in Bangkok. Not quite two weeks but our daughter has been away for nearly six months now so it will be a grand occasion when we meet again. Anyone tried the deep fried spiders?

Frog legs better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scorpians actually, go to beer ho corner in Hanoi, a crossroads junction, everyone sits around outside sipping beers, 20c a glass, eat what you like, its a great experience

No but I have tried snake wine.

Got pulled out of the ballot to be able to attend the 100 year anniversary dawn service at Gallipoli. So that's what spurred the trip.

So at the moment planning on going to see the Northern Lights in Norway.

Then going through UK, France, Italy, Netherlands, Germany, Poland and of course Turkey.

You've been J?

Pretty tight itinery for 6 weeks. How do you intend getting around?

Wife and I spent 5 months in 2007 with a month each in France and Italy. I even returned in 2010 for another 4 weeks in both those places plus a week in Switzerland with our daughter and we will still return.

We had 2 weeks in both Germany and Poland and that was enough for Poland but nowhere near enough for Germany.

Our next idea is to go back for 4 months renting houses in Brittainy, Provence and Tuscany and just try to live a bit more of a local life rather than one of just a tourist.

Deep fried tarantulas are a specialty dish in Cambodia, not really for western tastes though.

Closest I've come to eating bugs was stir-fried crickets in an upmarket fusion restaurant Hanoi, it had oodles of garlic and the crickets were crispy like prawn crackers.

Lok lak's a pretty safe bet if you're a Westerner.

Or trey ang swai chei.

treyangswai.jpg

Which 'bier hoi' corner are you talking about though, there are a lot of them scattered around the city.

In the heart of the old quarter, 98 TA Hien Hanoi, the most famous one, Bia Hoi Corner...

My daughter is in Saigon waiting for mum and dad to arrive. Leave on Saturday. Still working so not too excited yet. Work always dulls the senses.

Well enjoy Robbo, vietnamese are lovely people, great food too

Sicily was good by the way, and yes sicilians are warm friendly & generous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back