Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Its basically that if a machine can communicate with a human in electronic test and have the human believe its another human.

Seems to me that today people are so comfortable exchanging views with strangers, that the turing test, ratther than being a theoretical oddity, could be a basis for scam or control of human activity by machines.

Also, we on here could mostly predict how another well known poster would react to a provoactive post. Some are very good at ti.
They could easily inpersonate nother online.

I believe that in my lifetime, people will die, but leave convincing communicative bots which will carry on their economic and other activity online. The nature of the task is achievable with advances in AI which are only a few years away
I think legistalion and safeguards will be developed to prevent this happening, if it isnt happening already

No one's demonstrated we're anywhere near the turing test without cutting corners and placing arbitrary rules and restrictions on the test which defeats the purpose. (although in fairness the turing test is rather vague when it comes to rules)

the applications which come closest to passing the test are moving further and further away from proper AI research and are essentially no more impressive than an discount electronic chess set acquired at a dicksmith liquidation sale.

However, given the banality of human beings a bot impersonating someone successfully is all but certain. the easiest way to do it, is choose someone who posts boring meme's over and over again and tries to relate everything back their favorite online fetish like a broken record.

and with that will come the scammers, a new generation of nigerian princes and cat fishers. ironically the Program that came closest to passing the Turing test proper did not use an online medium. In 2009 a program successfully fooled 100's of students studying journalism into thinking sports articles had been written by humans. Even more amusing when informed that some of the articles were written by a computer program. 7/10 times the students picked the wrong articles, as the focused on spelling and sentence structure to try and identify which author was human. In one of life's great ironies they picked the Bots articles as human because they were flawless whilst the actual human written articles often contained errors that had slipped through the editors.

Sadly not alot can be done about botting from a legislative angle, detection software only helps the programmer refine the bot further and if you think we can pass laws to stop online scammers, i have a bridge to sell you....... no really, an actual bridge you'll make millions through tolls it's a solid investment.

I would say humans have successfully posed as other humans in bigfooty, but I guess that's not a huge achievement.

One aspect of carrying on your affairs after death would be funding your activities. if you can maintain funds without an executor closing everything (just don't appoint an executor, or have an an executor effect some dummy accounts. With interest etc, your entity is going to be very rich just a few decades beyond your death, and can command some serious clout. connecting to online operators of financial matters will be relatively simple once you've gained entry to the systems. just transacting no need to fool anyone.
The other day I looked at some super accounts I hadn't looked at for at least ten years. Some had lost a bit but most had appreciated
Its the interactions with living humans (online) which will require some turing type capability.

Imagine two such entities, each trying to change the others behavior and beliefs (actually, just look in the politics board in bigfooty)

Last edited:

I would say humans have successfully posed as other humans in bigfooty, but I guess that's not a huge achievement.

One aspect of carrying on your affairs after death would be funding your activities. if you can maintain funds without an executor closing everything (just don't appoint an executor, or have an an executor effect some dummy accounts. With interest etc, your entity is going to be very rich just a few decades beyond your death, and can command some serious clout. connecting to online operators of financial matters will be relatively simple once you've gained entry to the systems. just transacting no need to fool anyone.
The other day I looked at some super accounts I hadn't looked at for at least ten years. Some had lost a bit but most had appreciated
Its the interactions with living humans (online) which will require some turing type capability.

Imagine two such entities, each trying to change the others behavior and beliefs (actually, just look in the politics board in bigfooty)

you can carry on your financial activities a lot easier than that. transfer all your wealth over to a company which is located in a free trade zone, with the bot as the operator. even if the company's holdings were revealed to be held by a bot, no government would have the authority to act. furthermore because companies were given basically the same rights as a person the bot could even hire lawyers to defend itself, claiming that it an the company are the same entity from a legal standpoint.

not sure how a case like that would turn out but it's hilarious to think about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back