The Turtle is set to go around for another year

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better than a 4th round pick and you can't trade/delist everyone.

Will be a handy replacement in case of injuries and will help the kids develop in the seconds.

Better than a 4th round pick and you can't trade/delist everyone.

Will be a handy replacement in case of injuries and will help the kids develop in the seconds.

Agree with this, but what salary do you put him on if he's only an emergency selection?

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
He'll most likely be in the VFL and only used if injuries demand it. He started this year in the 2s as well until everything went to crap.

He'll play the role Duigan (was supposed to) & Scotto tried to until injuries got him.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
I really like Brock's attitude, and he seems like a great guy, but in a purely football sense this seems like a poor decision.

His pace is an absolute liability at AFL level, so I'm not sure how he can be retained for 'depth'. Can't help but feel we'd better off using the spot on a kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with this, but what salary do you put him on if he's only an emergency selection?
Slightly above rookie wages, but that is better than not being on the list at all. Obviously you don't want to insult him so it will be reasonable.

There will be a number that keeps both parties happy, if not, either has the option to walk away from a deal.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I really like Brock's attitude, and he seems like a great guy, but in a purely football sense this seems like a poor decision.

His pace is an absolute liability at AFL level, so I'm not sure how he can be retained for 'depth'. Can't help but feel we'd better off using the spot on a kid.

Totally agree !!

Crazy decision if true ...........

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Watson over Darling is still the biggest howler for me. I'm not sure any team in the history of the AFL has been as desperate for a forward as we were that year.
Darling isn't even that good - he's too small to mark over head so he needs perfect delivery out in front for him to take marks - which I doubt he'd have at Carlton

If we had of drafted him he'd probably have been traded back to the Eagles by now for a third round pick or something

Jul 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
How can posters say he's a better option than a 4th rounder or rookie pick?!?

He's no where near best 22 and there are plenty of great players picked later than the 4th round and in the rookie draft.

Eddie Betts? Sam Jacobs? And that's just at Carlton.

And wasting a spot on your snr list so they can rot in the VFL under the guise of 'development' is a joke.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
And wasting a spot on your snr list so they can rot in the VFL under the guise of 'development' is a joke.
Draftees get 2 year contracts guaranteed. You must turnover the list each year (by removing 3 players).

If we cut every player who isnt best 22, we wont have the 3 required players available to turnover next season. We re-rookied Scotland and kept Duigan as depth for VFL development purposes - it's certainly not a joke, and there will be plenty of chances to get 4th round+ players if we plan on cutting as deep as suggested.

If we get injuries in the senior team, Brock is likely to fair far better than a brand new kid taken in the 4th round+ (our game vs port is a prime example).

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
He's no where near best 22 and there are plenty of great players picked later than the 4th round and in the rookie draft.

Mick disagrees; Brock has played 15 games this season.

We've lost Scotland, Bootsma, Duigan. Assuming Lucas, Garlett, Robinson and Watson are put up for trade, that's 7 vacancies before we even think of delisting Cachia, Temay or McInnes.

There will be cuts. They'll start first with players who aren't getting senior action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back