Roast The Ugly v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Without letting the emotions of this game settle at all, I'll review our insipid performance versus Sydney

The Ugly
  • Effort. We were behind our opponents all day, always second to the ball, always chasing, never close enough to apply pressure. Just despicable from every member of our midfield group
  • Tackling. We are abysmal at tackling and have been for YEARS. Players can dish off clean disposals while we cling on for dear life, meanwhile we get tackled to ground (or just slip over) with ease. Part of this is because we pick players who are s**t defensively, especially through the midfield.
  • Mackay. You are cooked. Back to the SANFL you go. A ******* house fly could push you off the ball, your tackling efforts are despicable, you provide no run despite being a reasonably quick player, and your disposal cost us today.
  • Wright. I don't ******* care how many disposals you get, your defensive efforts are appalling and have been appalling all season. I see you watch players stream past you as you stand watching. For a 'senior' player this isn't good enough. Just * off back to the SANFL.
  • Lynch. Get your kicking in order and you'll be a great player for us. But for now, giving you the ball is costly.
  • Smith. Out of form and in need of a spell. Where has that laser boot gone? It's time for the blow torch to be applied because you're not up to it right now.
  • Henderson. Soft and defensively unaccountable. Waltzes around the ground like the runner, not a player. Either harden the * up or get out.
  • Jacobs, we know you're a good ruckman, but you shouldn't let yourself get towelled up by a part time ruckman in Tippett. Not a great effort today.
  • Walker. You are the captain, playing your 100th game. Where were you today, to stand up and lift our team? Not what I want to see from a captain.
  • A number of other players were mediocre. Sloane (not many disposals, are you actually right to play?), Cameron (no run, tackling pressure or goals), Thompson (rubbish defensively)
  • It's hard to blame our forwards today because they got rubbish service, but some of our kicks for goal were awful. We're not confident in front of goal.
  • Defenders were under siege when they never should have been. Did an okay job against against the big forwards after the first quarter, but we failed to stop the midfielders kicking piss easy goals from silver service delivery.
  • Tippett kicking 3 goals in the first quarter. In what universe is Lever a better matchup for the big dickhead than Hartigan? What a basic coaching error that should have been corrected before the first bounce.
  • Selecting Matt Crouch as the sub. Should have played last week and this week. Just appalling treatment of one of our better midfielders, and was sorely missed in a team smashed at the coal face today.
  • Subbing Knight off. What the flying * were the coaches thinking? It's not like the game was in the balance, we should have had our developing players on the ground rather than spuds like Mackay
  • The goal review involving Wright's clear goal was one of the worst I've ever seen. Despicable from the score review umpire
  • And speaking of the umpires in general, they were trigger happy to pay holding the ball against us and were terrible all day. Didn't contribute to the loss but they crucified us at every chance
  • Gold passes have cost us. If we decide to bring back VB this week it will just make things worse.
  • Suggesting before the game that we rate some players on "non-statistical roles". I mean just have a good hard look at what you're saying David Noble. That's absolute rubbish and a poor justification for selecting bad senior players week after week. Time to smarten the * up.
  • And finally, Scott Camporeale. I don't think you're up to a full time coaching role. We have reverted to some Sando-era bullshit following Walsh's tragic passing, such as dropping young players, putting young players as the sub repeatedly or consecutively, subbing out developing players when the game isn't on the line, inexplicable match-ups, not preparing players for the match, the list goes on.

Last edited:

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Singling out any player in losses like this is just pointless. Everyone was rubbish.
Before I get people commenting say 'but wright has been consistently bad' don't bother. Obviously the coaches sando, campo AND walsh thought he was doing something right. It's a pointless argument.

SmegHead

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Good: I turned off the TV halfway into the 2nd quarter so I didn't scream myself hoarse and kill my already sore throat! I feel this is apropos:

Watch-Dogs-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%B2-%D0%B4%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82-1173013.gif

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think there's one player on the field that could say they won their position and/or beat an opponent. Most weren't even getting in to position for the famous "team defence". They were so, so far off the mark.

Thoroughly disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Singling out any player in losses like this is just pointless. Everyone was rubbish.
Before I get people commenting say 'but wright has been consistently bad' don't bother. Obviously the coaches sando, campo AND walsh thought he was doing something right. It's a pointless argument.

Except Walsh made it clear after the BNE game that players were going to be dropped. Your argument is pointless because it deliberately ignores that fact. You fans of the status quo consistently make this pathetic claim.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hmm, did we make ourselves look so bad, or did sydney make us look bad, did we have an illness, a combination of the above. I'm leaning towards sydney made us look like it, as we've been belted against their system several times in a row now. The players and coaches will get sick of it eventually. We don't seem to be changing much up against them though.

All played bad.

Just a horror day at the office. Smashed everywhere.

Lot of bad old habits crept back in, Thommo giving away frees, when we kick, we have no feel for "if I'm going to err, which is the best spot to err to" we continually put it over heads when, if anything mistake is made, it should be short, we put it to the outer side when inner would be the way to err and all the vice versas.

What was up with the goal kicking. Just another thing to add to how far off our game we were, everyone was doing it, scary thing is, again, I reckon that was due to Sydney.

Hartigan went ok I thought.

On the flipside, how easy was it for them. Defenders didnt do a bad job considering. Waltz here there and everywhere. Moved it around no probs and we couldnt get it back off them.

When we go to pieces, we go bad.

Still, its a young side, better not to dwell on it provided you're on an upward trend. Which I think we slowly are.

On to next week.........

SES SA

All Australian
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

I don't want to live in a state where logic makes for a pointless argument

RePete

Club Legend
Jan 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good:
Lynch: 3 good goals and his dodging and weaving around the ground was great. Created much needed transition from def to attack multiple times

Acceptable:
Laird:
Brown: That run he created off an intercept was first class, needs to do that more often.
Talia

Bad:
Everyone else

Horrifying:
The umpiring
Wrights goal review
Our kicking
Our pressure
Our tackling
The umpiring
Our goal-kicking
Our midfield work and setup at stoppages
Our handballs under pressure
The umpiring

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
******* Ugly: Tackling, tackling and more tackling. We have no intent when tackling, it's like we view it as an unnecessary part of the game. Even Cameron today, who I usually rate as our best tackler, missed at least 5 or 6, I swear if one more Swans player was able to hand pass out due to us not pinning an arm, my iPhone was going to go through my TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back