The umpires have jumped the shark

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerous sling tackle. Can't have players suspended for 2 weeks when the guy doesn't get up but not even a free kick when the guy is fine.

Don't lift and swing a guy and land him on his head. It's not that hard.

he didnt lift and swing him. he just kept going with the tackle. punishing guys for not doing anything wrong is blatantly dumb.

If they want to pay some more frees to keep the game moving, how about ACTUALLY PAYING REAL HOLDING THE BALL FREES. The only time that you DON'T get a htb free now is when there is prior opp followed by a good tackle leading to the ball being thrown or dropped. They have basically taken the rule and reversed it completely. Insane. Get rid of the "jarred loose in the tackle" crap and actually reward the tackler ffs.
There'd be 59 of these frees a game though
Players are on point with tackles in the mid 10s

he didnt lift and swing him. he just kept going with the tackle. punishing guys for not doing anything wrong is blatantly dumb.
It is wrong, it's against the rules. That they've decided to introduce the enforcing of the rule mid season is a bit confusing but the rule has been in place for a few seasons now and we've seen suspensions. I'd rather see free kicks than suspensions. You can argue against it or you can start to get your head around it because I'm tipping the sling tackle rules will be here to stay.

Yet there were numerous ballups in the Lions-Roos game where I thought the player at the bottom of the pack had dragged it in and made no attempt to move it on.
Yeah that is hard to stop but remember at every game, every umpire calls every decision differently.
Consistency is a dirty word in the umpires room.
Maybe next week the umps will be told to call more holding the balls on the guys at the bottom of the packs who pull it in like they were earlier in the year?

I might be in the minority, but this was just what the AFL needed! We have had five teams pass 100 points out of 12. Unheard of in recent weeks.

Crazy, ya pay frees, ya open the game up, we get scoring. HOORAY!

Kudos to the umpiring department for making the hard choice and being the necessary evil. Great to see open games of footy and some scoring.

Now coaches. Over to you! Embrace attack!

Problem is with umpiring like everyone is mentioning you don't know WTF there going to pay and not pay from game to game week in week out. Umpiring has been a disgrace all year and for a lot of years and its just getting worse and worse.

You could watch a game from Round 1, then watch the Freo/Rich game today or Ess/Port and you'd think the umps had a completely different rule book. It's just so amateurish and frustrating that the umpiring can change so much week to week. No one knows what the * is going on, players, coaches, fans. The AFL are treating this great game with contempt.

You could watch a game from Round 1, then watch the Freo/Rich game today or Ess/Port and you'd think the umps had a completely different rule book. It's just so amateurish and frustrating that the umpiring can change so much week to week. No one knows what the **** is going on, players, coaches, fans. The AFL are treating this great game with contempt.

I think it needs to get worse enough for fans to stop accepting it as part of the game.

Time for serious changes IMO, the umpiring department is an absolute mess!

Wayne Campbell is proving to be a terribly reactionary 'leader'. No wonder my club was so poor under his leadership here, he even somehow made the umpires worse. The umpires!

It is wrong, it's against the rules. That they've decided to introduce the enforcing of the rule mid season is a bit confusing but the rule has been in place for a few seasons now and we've seen suspensions. I'd rather see free kicks than suspensions. You can argue against it or you can start to get your head around it because I'm tipping the sling tackle rules will be here to stay.

Sling tackling consits on multiple actions to sling the player when his arms are pinned. Last nights tackle was not a sling, baguely and Wingard where already moving in the direction he was tackled, momentum took Wingard. All Baguely did was follow through on a tackle, there was no double movement to sling.

Pathetically bad call.

is dangerous tackle a new rule I missed this season? Or did the ump just make that one up?

Also, what the hell is going on during the ruck contests? Frees being given out like candy
We got one of those paid against us as well. Is this new or just the rule of the week they decide to enforce?

But that's the problem. By paying or not paying 2 and the inconsistency of it leads to the issues. By paying them to the letter of the law don't you think the coaches will be pretty quick to direct their players of what they can or can't do. They would address it real quickly I reckon.
You simply can't have rules that one umpire thinks is a free kick and another umpire thinks it isn't. That is why we are where we are now. We were not there 25 years ago. The rules were pretty black and white.
If they paid ever single free kick to the letter of the law, no matter how trivial, the game would become unwatchable. It would become a stop/start kick to kick.

Aussie Rules is best when it is fast flowing, stopping the game every time there is the most minor infringement will destroy it.

is dangerous tackle a new rule I missed this season? Or did the ump just make that one up?

Also, what the hell is going on during the ruck contests? Frees being given out like candy

Lewis got pinged for blocking Kreuzer... except Kreuzer wasnt the nominated ruck for that stoppage.

I can understand that the message has come down from on high to pay more frees, but they are just paying everything. Whenever possible they are just picking a side and rewarding them so the ball can move on quicker - regardless of there being a free kick or not.

Why dont they just take less time to ball it up? Dont wait for 20 players to merge on the stoppage, just chuck it up straight away regardless of whether the rucks have made it there or not.

That Pavlich free kick against rance... One of the worst of the year.

And dusty gets paid 50 for squirting water at someone, give us a spell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were a lot of bad free kicks paid in the Richmond v Fremantle game. Freo got two goals from free kicks late that were dubious decisions and then they gave Cotchin a free kick for the slightest push. They gave Maric one in front for a hold that was hard to see. They paid holding the ball when a bloke got tackle by three players but pretty much didn't pay it when the guy had prior. They paid shepherding in the marking contest in a contest where both players had eyes on the ball and the bloke who marked it came from the side. They missed Riewoldt push Ibotson in the back resulting in a goal.

It was disgraceful. I remember just thinking let them play. The times when they paid free kicks in front of goal were during passages of play which were exciting and could have resulted in goals. Instead they take that away and we get results controlled by umpires and don't get to see what would really happen.

Blatant, dangerous or severely impeding should be the only free kicks they pay.

Get rid of the sub.

I need someone to load up the free kick Tarrant gave away in our game 10 metres out from goal..... i dont even know what that was......
Oh that one, the one the cost the pies the in 2002GF . Why not throw in the Rocca goal, given a point in the same game. This s**t has been going on, since betting ruined our innocent game around the early 90's

The worst ones in the Lions - Roos game were the ruck frees. There seemed to be a dozen of them and it was a complete lucky dip as to who got it each time. Neither ruck man knew if is was his and what it was for. They all just looked completely bewildered. All the players had clearly had enough of the umpires by the end.

The umpiring was so bad that it was impossible to even predict how particular incidents would be interpreted from moment to moment. Then, late in the game they started calling play on after players from both sides had clearly taken marks and we're moving back to take kicks.

There seemed to be a mentality among the umpires that after two or three stoppages close together - find a free, any free.

It's quite simple, there's 2 issues:

1. The rules are open to "interpretation". They need to be clear and concrete. "Hands in the back" is a great example of a clear and definitive rule. Sometimes frees for that rule are soft but they at least are always there.
2. The interpretation of the rules is used to manipulate and control "the look" of the game. Along with clear and concrete rules, the AFL need to let the game look after itself.

Out of all the issues that face the AFL, this inconsistency and constant tweaking (dangerous tackle wtf) is the biggest obstacle to the game growing and remaining the great spectacle that it should be.

I might be in the minority, but this was just what the AFL needed! We have had five teams pass 100 points out of 12. Unheard of in recent weeks.

Crazy, ya pay frees, ya open the game up, we get scoring. HOORAY!

Kudos to the umpiring department for making the hard choice and being the necessary evil. Great to see open games of footy and some scoring.

Now coaches. Over to you! Embrace attack!

Couldn't disagree more. Even Roos/Lyon footy is preferable to umpires gifting goals. In fact, if it's done to increase the value of TV rights, it's a crime against the game.

The umpires simply aren't up to the job of paying every free that's there.

Unfortunately we reap what we sow. The various media mediums have been filling their boots for about 6 weeks with hand wringing hysteria about congestion in our game and how it can be stopped. Twitter,talk back radio, Internet forums, newspaper articles...the game is in crisis apparently. The AFL is so reactionary to the court of ( usually uninformed ) public opinion nowdays that they felt they had to act. We are seeing the directive this weekend played out with free kicks that were let go now being paid in the interest of reducing stoppages. Don't worry, there will be a reverse backlash in the next couple of weeks and Mark Evans will be knocking on Wayne Campbell's door in the same unprofessional, panicked style that is the AFL in this reactive age. It's ridiculous.

Once the coaches get a sniff during a game that HTB is being let go, the amount of stoppages increases through the roof. The amount of influence the umpires have weather it be intentional or incompetence is ridiculous. I always go the footy thinking * I hope Justin Smiditt is not umpiring today, When you know the guys name that's a problem. These guys should be shadows hardly noticed, but I feel that the TV exposure they get during games, might also make them feel like a rock star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back