The University Football Club board

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The University Thread

Munting?? Too much info maccas!! (and slap your English teacher for me........it should read "ahh where has Munting gone")

Anyway........"him" is missing in action.....doesn't finish what he starts.....it's way too hard for the young fella:thumbsdown:

Actually, maccas may have been aiming for "Ahh, where is Munting, gone?". I doubt it, however. I note he is no longer red-carded, so he might come back soon enough.

Hey HCD, hope you've been checking out the tunes I've been running on a couple of the other threads since our big win on the weekend ;)

I am pretty disappointed with the development of this thread. Munts was last seen here on the 23rd August (currently red carded - how on earth could a possible future moderator get a red card?!?!?)
I got red carded and permanently banned from the Hawthorn Board, this was simply for making a comment about Hawthorn missing the finals.

Actually, maccas may have been aiming for "Ahh, where is Munting, gone?". I doubt it, however. I note he is no longer red-carded, so he might come back soon enough.

HCD I hope you haven't comeback as Maccas.........I noticed he is a newbie and from Hobart......and you are gallantly defending his NHS english! :D

I got red carded and permanently banned from the Hawthorn Board, this was simply for making a comment about Hawthorn missing the finals.

You don't get banned for "simply making a comment"! Care to repeat it for us?

Yes, I can see how that particular catchphrase might be irritating under certain circumstances :p

Yes, I can see how that particular catchphrase might be irritating under certain circumstances :p

you know something got me thinking a week or two ago when noticing that hawthorn were struggling (i don't watch much afl footy). fair enough they disappointed this year, but they did win a flag last year (it was last year, right?)

what it made me think was; didn't some hawthorn coach a few years back say that hawthorn were setting up to win a flag, and he got laughed out of town?

PS:
University Football Club / Melbourne University Football Club (Vic)

Timeline :
1874 - Amongst other teams, Hawthorn played against Clifton, Melbourne, University, Vaucluse, Carlton, Williamstown, Brunswick, Carlton 2nd 20.

1885 :
VFA - University finished 10th (last).
Evansdale played against Melbourne Seconds, Normanby, Rainbow, Saint Kilda, Moonee Ponds, South Saint Kilda, South Yarra, Essendon Seconds, Young Australians, Hawksburn, Abbotsford, Albert Park, University and Caulfield.

1886 - VFA : University finished 15th.
1887 - VFA : University finished 13th.

1888 (VFA) :
University finished 16th (last).
This was University's final season in the VFA.

1893 - Victorian Junior FA First Rate Section A : University finished 6th.
1894 - Victorian Junior FA First Rate Section A : University disbanded partway into the season.
1905 - A new Melbourne University FC was formed, the product of a merger between Booroondara and Hawthorn clubs.
1906 - MJFA : Melbourne University were premiers.

1907 (MJFA) :
Melbourne University were premiers.
This was Melbourne University's final season in the MJFA.

1908 - VFL : University commenced, finishing 6th.
1909 - VFL : University finished 7th.
1910 - VFL : University finished 6th.
1911 - VFL : University finished 10th (last).
1912 - VFL : University finished last.
1913 - VFL : University finished 10th (last).
1914 - VFL : University finished 10th (last).

HCD I hope you haven't comeback as Maccas.........I noticed he is a newbie and from Hobart......and you are gallantly defending his NHS english! :D

Actually, that's yet another friend from school. I managed to get him to sign up after showing him the MS Paint thread on Bay 13.

As for munts' card, I think he said it was something about the Tassie government and free trips down in September, now that the month is vacant for Hawks fans.

Hawthorn are VFL babes in the woods compared to University. Uni had been and gone before the Hawks even started. Maybe he'd mentioned that :)

Or perhaps he'd suggested they come down and join the SFL because New Norfolk needed some competition!

Don't be silly, New Norfolk would crush Hawthorn...

I've already replied to this post, but I'd just like to add that I would never stoop to the level of pretending I supported Carlton. After all, there's not much lower you can go than Carlton.

Although Hawthorn...

Actually, that's yet another friend from school. I managed to get him to sign up after showing him the MS Paint thread on Bay 13.

As for munts' card, I think he said it was something about the Tassie government and free trips down in September, now that the month is vacant for Hawks fans.
That's pretty much what I said, I'm so upset that they indefinitely banned me from the Hawthorn Board.

That's pretty much what I said, I'm so upset that they indefinitely banned me from the Hawthorn Board.
They are a very precious bunch over there at Hawthorn. Red card people for the slightest of reasons then happily troll on other boards in all their smug arrogance.

Check out some of their posts on the North Board about the Gibbo situation. They are so far up themselves that they think that they hold the upper hand despite having only 8th pick in the PSD, should they not be prepared to trade sensibly for Gibbo.

And as you well know Munts they went absolutely ballistic about the Lloyd collison with Sewell. Probably set world records for abuse of a player {Lloyd) and red carding of opposition supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like there are at least a few boards in other parts of BF where it doesn't take too much to be red-carded really...

They are a very precious bunch over there at Hawthorn. Red card people for the slightest of reasons then happily troll on other boards in all their smug arrogance.
I noticed on the Hawthorn thread that an adelaide supporter got red carded for nothing, so I then said "Do you red-card all opposition supporters that post here?". Them banning me proved my point.

I don't actually care about being banned from the Hawthorn Board, but I was pissed at being banned from BF for 2 weeks.

Don't be fooled by those colours Mobbs.........his team Hobart changed their jumpers from Brisbane Lions jumpers back to Richmond jumpers this year.......surely this is good reason to now give him a red??:D

Champion of the Colony wouldn't have helped either,
no such award ever existed !
Bit of light reading ...
A number of publications list the Champion of the Colony award claiming it was, prior to the introduction of the Brownlow Medal, the most prestigious individual award in Australian rules football in Victoria. It is alleged that the award was based on votes from Melbourne's leading football journalists.
The first award was supposedly presented in 1856 and then annually until 1945, despite the Brownlow commencing in 1924.
Those who dispute existence of the award note that there is not a single piece of evidence cited in support of it from any year between 1856 - 1945. It is also noted that Tom Wills could not have won the 1856 award, as he did not arrive back in Victoria until 23 December 1856, having spent years away in England. Also of interest is the non-existent Richmond Cricketers club G S Bruce is supposed to have played for in 1858. Further, Hugh Gavin (of Essendon) is named as winner in 1903, which isn't possible given that he played in Western Australia that year, not Victoria.
The Federation of Australia on January 1, 1901 meant that Victoria was no longer a 'colony' and the award was allegedly renamed Champion of the Season in 1902.

Wonder if Munts might start a Richmond Cricketers' Club thread perhaps? :p

Bit of light reading ...

Yes, a bit of light reading indeed.

Please note what the article says:
"Those who dispute existence of the award note that there is not a single piece of evidence cited in support of it from any year between 1856 - 1945. "

I repeat...there is not a single piece of evidence cited in support of it dated between 1856 - 1945.

The Champion of the Colony award list is a hoax.

Fine with me if he wants to, as long as it isn't on a football board, because no such football club existed with that name as far as I know.

Just joking mate - it's probably a bit late to be too serious on this thread ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back