The University Football Club board

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The University Thread

Yes, a bit of light reading indeed.

Please note what the article says:
"Those who dispute existence of the award note that there is not a single piece of evidence cited in support of it from any year between 1856 - 1945. "

I repeat...there is not a single piece of evidence cited in support of it dated between 1856 - 1945.

The Champion of the Colony award list is a hoax.
Don't doubt you, that why i showed you. ;)

Don't be fooled by those colours Mobbs.........his team Hobart changed their jumpers from Brisbane Lions jumpers back to Richmond jumpers this year.......surely this is good reason to now give him a red??:D
Yes the club did change back colours this year, however the juniors (whom I play for) didn't have enough $$$ to change back. So instead the juniors wore the Lions strip. Hence the picture of me in my Hobart Lions jumper. I look forward to playing for the Hobart Tigers next year though.

Noooooooooo!:eek:

Where's my research assistant Munts? I need you to do some research and find out if this is true!!!:D
I've heard of it before, however I have never seen any evidence to confirm or deny the existence of the Champion of the Colony award. I am going to trust what has been said on here, as none of you had any reason to lie.

Thread for the Richmond Cricketers' Club? No, then all the strange teams that have existed in Tasmania may need to be listed. Most notable is the renaming of the Railway Football Club to Essendon Football Club in 1898 - no place called Essendon in Tasmania! Turns out they were emulating the recently successful Essendon of 1897, indeed taking out a premiership in 1898 under the name of Essendon. Thankfully, the club renamed to North Launceston for the following season...

Just noticed you follow Glenorchy there btw... there are a couple of other good posters I know around the place who support them too...

Yeah, the TSL one mate- they're in the Grand Final down there in a couple of days apparently...

Yeah, the TSL one mate- they're in the Grand Final down there in a couple of days apparently...

Yes Wona...they are the powerhouse down in Hobart....always seem to win the big ones. I will flying down to Bellerive this weekend to watch the GF against Clarence. Might give you all a match report........should be fiery as the two clubs HATE each other.

Might be fiery if I run into HCD and Munts. :D:

Yes Wona...they are the powerhouse down in Hobart....always seem to win the big ones. I will flying down to Bellerive this weekend to watch the GF against Clarence. Might give you all a match report........should be fiery as the two clubs HATE each other.

Might be fiery if I run into HCD and Munts. :D:

I happen to be going, too...

Oh, just to bring this back to University, here's a picture...
University2.jpg

Enjoy!

Will definitely have to hear about how everything goes on the day I reckon :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, sounds like it was a pretty frustrating day for you guys from what I heard on another board.

Bad luck about that mate...

What happened HCD? They told me the black&white were odds on to win!!

From what I saw the pies lost it in the second quarter....didn't play "against the wind" football very well or at all and then gave away two 50m penalties for really DUMB things resulted in goals........game over!! The quality of the fightback, I think, shows that the pies lost the perfect opportunity of a premiership......ifthey played the first half like they played the second....it was theirs by a street.

I must admit that I was surprised at the standard of footy, the VFL, SANFL & WAFL are miles better..........I enjoyed the warmth behind the glass and the sangers though........but gee it was cold and windy!

HCD, why did they play the GF at the home ground of one of the GF teams? I remember watching the Roys at North Hobart a few times and thought that was the GF ground?

Hospitality of the Tassie people was first class and I assume being called "kock" is term of endearment?? Anyway, I will be back for the 2010 GF, if invited!!

From what I saw the pies lost it in the second quarter....didn't play "against the wind" football very well or at all and then gave away two 50m penalties for really DUMB things resulted in goals........game over!! The quality of the fightback, I think, shows that the pies lost the perfect opportunity of a premiership......ifthey played the first half like they played the second....it was theirs by a street.

I must admit that I was surprised at the standard of footy, the VFL, SANFL & WAFL are miles better..........I enjoyed the warmth behind the glass and the sangers though........but gee it was cold and windy!

HCD, why did they play the GF at the home ground of one of the GF teams? I remember watching the Roys at North Hobart a few times and thought that was the GF ground?

Hospitality of the Tassie people was first class and I assume being called "kock" is term of endearment?? Anyway, I will be back for the 2010 GF, if invited!!

Second quarter was certainly a disappointment. Apart from that, it was good from us, but we wasted a number of opportunities.

As for the quality of play, it's good to remember the last state GF was 2000 and since then teams have been in Southern/Northern/North-West competitions.

As for the location of the GF, in the Semis, Glenorchy and Clarence had home games, and Glenorchy, as the higher-ranked team, got to choose between North Hobart and Bellerive for home ground. Glenorchy selected Bellerive, so Clarence would play theirs at NHO. However, Clarence ended up playing theirs at Bellerive in a double-header due to surface issues (I think) at North Hobart.

A lot of issues to be ironed out with the TSL, I think.

Correct, the SFL and I think the old state GF were held at North Hobart Oval. However when clubs signed up for the Tasmanian State League they did so agreeing that the GF would be played at either Aurora Stadium/Bellerive Oval. This was decided by the winner of the Qualifying final (Glenorchy).

While researching Roys pre 1900 have been running into various references of University FC, including various hitouts well prior to the formation of the VFA. I might pop a couple of details on here from time to time.

Here's one from 1886 - poor buggers, they were on a bit of a hiding to nothing in this match :

Sat, 15 May, 1886 : University 0.? wdb Fitzroy 7.? @ University. Preview Report

While researching Roys pre 1900 have been running into various references of University FC, including various hitouts well prior to the formation of the VFA. I might pop a couple of details on here from time to time.

Here's one from 1886 - poor buggers, they were on a bit of a hiding to nothing in this match :

Sat, 15 May, 1886 : University 0.? wdb Fitzroy 7.? @ University. Preview Report

Yes there were no behinds at that point. Behinds weren't introduced until the VFL formed and decided to record them. They then eventually decided to add a score for them as well. :footy:

Yes there were no behinds at that point. Behinds weren't introduced until the VFL formed and decided to record them. They then eventually decided to add a score for them as well. :footy:

Actually, munts, behinds were recorded well before that, but the score was just the total number of goals, with behinds used as a method of countback, e.g. Team X has 5 goals 7 behinds and Team Y has 5 goals 12 behinds then team Y wins on countback only. VFL only introduced the 'behind is 1, goal is 6' system which supporter groups had been calling for. Notably Tassie football picks up the G=6, B=1 system just one year later.

And actually, behinds were not used for countback. 5 goals 5 v 5 goals 3 was a draw. Newspapers would report it as "a draw in favour of the former", but it was counted as a draw for purposed of determining season champions (premiers).

And, yes, I stickied the thread because I thought Uni deserved a higher profile.

And actually, behinds were not used for countback. 5 goals 5 v 5 goals 3 was a draw. Newspapers would report it as "a draw in favour of the former", but it was counted as a draw for purposed of determining season champions (premiers).

And, yes, I stickied the thread because I thought Uni deserved a higher profile.

Cheers. Hopefully HCD199 can give us another game review soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back