The University Football Club board

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/do-you-want-a-brisbane-bears-south-melbourne-and-university-board.962374/

Simple question. Please no smart alic comments about the Brisbane Lions board being the Brisbane Bears board or the Sydney board being the South Melbourne board.

Personally I definitely support Fitzroy having their own board, but I also wouldn't mind seeing a separate Bears, Sth Melb and University board as well.

What do you guys think?

I think it's wrong that they are mentioning University on a Fitzroy board so I started this thread. Feel free to vote/comment.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-south-melbourne-and-university-board.962374/
I think it's wrong that they are mentioning University on a Fitzroy board so I started this thread. Feel free to vote/comment.

You're taking this too seriously. This thread is a joke thread. For every troll that says why doesn't University have their own board, like Fitzroy do, then we direct them to here. They want it, they can discuss it here. And do they? Of course not. They're trolling.

The bottom line is that Sydney is a relocated South Melbourne. Sydney's official history stretches back to 1874, so it encompasses South Melbourne's. They are not seperate clubs. Therefore there's no need for a separate board. Make a South Melbourne board a sub -board of the Sydney Swans board if Swans supporters want it. It appears that they don't. No seperate South Melbourne Football Club playing in Victoria with a hundred years of history in the VFA and VFL0AFL still exits. T

Fitzroy is completely different from the South Melbourne / Sydney situation. Whatever one says or believes the bottom line there was no actual merger of the two clubs. Both still exist in their own right as separate entities. Brisbane won the right in 1996 to use Fitzroy's AFL identity as their own. Brisbane Bears members voted to change their official name of their club from "Brisbane Bears Football Club" to "Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Australian Football Club" and the Bears board of directors decided how much of the Fitzroy's VFL-AFL identity they would adopt. That was outlined in the ' merger' agreement that they wrote and which the administrator of Fitzroy signed (against the wishes of the Fitzroy directors elected by the shareholders and members of the club.) Given that Fitzroy still exists in its own right and has one hundred years of history in the VFL-AFL which only ended 15 years ago and that there are plenty of current or former Fitzroy supporters on these boards (not all of whom support the Brisbane Lions), a completely separate board is warranted.

And University? 7 years of competition in the elite competition of Victorian football, compared to Fitzroy's hundred. University's last match in this elite competition was 98 years ago. Fitzroy's was 15 years ago. University has no stake in modern day AFL, Fitzroy has a current agreement (albiet one they are forced to adhere to) with an existing AFL club. They went to the Supreme Court two years ago to enforce said agreement.

So my vote on a seperate Bears, South Melbourne and University board?

No. Not needed.

You're taking this too seriously. This thread is a joke thread. For every troll that says why doesn't University have their own board, like Fitzroy do, then we direct them to here. They want it, they can discuss it here. And do they? Of course not. They're trolling.

The bottom line is that Sydney is a relocated South Melbourne. Sydney's official history stretches back to 1874, so it encompasses South Melbourne's. They are not seperate clubs. Therefore there's no need for a separate board. Make a South Melbourne board a sub -board of the Sydney Swans board if Swans supporters want it. It appears that they don't. No seperate South Melbourne Football Club playing in Victoria with a hundred years of history in the VFA and VFL0AFL still exits. T

Fitzroy is completely different from the South Melbourne / Sydney situation. Whatever one says or believes the bottom line there was no actual merger of the two clubs. Both still exist in their own right as separate entities. Brisbane won the right in 1996 to use Fitzroy's AFL identity as their own. Brisbane Bears members voted to change their official name of their club from "Brisbane Bears Football Club" to "Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Australian Football Club" and the Bears board of directors decided how much of the Fitzroy's VFL-AFL identity they would adopt. That was outlined in the ' merger' agreement that they wrote and which the administrator of Fitzroy signed (against the wishes of the Fitzroy directors elected by the shareholders and members of the club.) Given that Fitzroy still exists in its own right and has one hundred years of history in the VFL-AFL which only ended 15 years ago and that there are plenty of current or former Fitzroy supporters on these boards (not all of whom support the Brisbane Lions), a completely separate board is warranted.

And University? 7 years of competition in the elite competition of Victorian football, compared to Fitzroy's hundred. University's last match in this elite competition was 98 years ago. Fitzroy's was 15 years ago. University has no stake in modern day AFL, Fitzroy has a current agreement (albiet one they are forced to adhere to) with an existing AFL club. They went to the Supreme Court two years ago to enforce said agreement.

So my vote on a seperate Bears, South Melbourne and University board?

No. Not needed.
So far 8 yes and 20 no. If someone suggest a Bears/Sth Melb/University board on any Fiztroy forum you can direct them to the thread I started.

And as I said, I do support Fitzroy having their own board.

Very good of you BoshtrichBurger to bring life back into this thread :p

I found an interesting post from "The Argus" from Monday 18 July 1898. According to wikipedia, the club was dormant in various periods between 1888 and 1905, so it still took 7 years to get a side up from this time.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9842827#pstart310791

A UNIVERSITY TEAM.
A movement has been started at the Universityto form a senior football team. Dr. Martin, Professor of physiology, and Profesor Lyle are taking the matter up. Such players as Campbell andKearney (Essendon), Hogan (St Kilda), andGreeves (Geelong) have promised to play with the team. This is certainly a move in the right direc-
Fix this text
tion. The University should be the home of amateur sport, and there is no doubt the interestand the tone of football would be increased if ateam of 'Varsity students were admitted.There will be, however, some difficulty in getting a team into the league at the present time. However, with 700 men on the rolls, and the professorstaking the matter up it would be a decided gainto the game to have such a team in existence.

http://afl.allthestats.com/?itm=111328&t1=16&inyr=1912&inrd=3

University's final league victory - a strong performance against fellow 1908 entrants in Richmond. The very next week, they debuted their goal-kicking prodigy Roy Park, and from them on were totally incapable of winning a game of football. Interesting that the two happened to coincide - whether there was any correlation, we may never know...

Round 3 - Saturday, 11th May, 1912
10th University
(63)
4th Richmond
(48)
Crowd - 7,944 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

Through their seven years in the VFL, despite their incredibly poor performance for the most part, University never managed to lose every game it played against any given club. Most of their successes in this regard occurred in their first three seasons, when they were a solid mid-table team. The decline in quality seems to coincide with their switch from the EMCG to the MCG.

Interestingly, the only team they failed to record a win against during their time in the league was Collingwood. However, they still qualify for the above statistic (not having lost every game to any given league club) by virtue of this match:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
University - 5.9 (39)
Collingwood - 5.9 (39)
Venue: East Melbourne Cricket Ground

GOALS:
University - M. Ratz 2, B. Hartkopf, B. Hurrey, F. Kerr.
Collingwood - L. Hughes, D. Lee, J. McHale, D. Ryan, D. Vernon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a good performance by the Students, especially considering the average age of the two teams differed by about five years, with the Magpies being the elder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad read this thread.
The first few posts on here are a Bay-esq though
Hehe the early shenanigans are due to the original intention of the thread as a derogatory passing shot at the Fitzroy FC's subforum's existence.

But the thread was turned from the dark path to one of sweetness and goodness, so we all win in the end ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back