Roast The Unofficial Marijuana Discussion (...Depression Thread? What?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Marijuana is not something that you try as a relaxant while doing exams. Nor something that you can contemplate using without ever having tried it. I cannot see the point of discussing it with your GP as a hypothetical. If you want to try marijuana wait until your work commitments are over. It is most unlikely to interfere with your Zoloft, but you need to think through the ramifications to areas of your life that will be affected by regularly using marijuana.
There's been a lot of talk about medical marijuana use lately and for good reason. The debate is interesting and it's positive that it is gaining traction with funding and research.

But, my understanding is that medical marijuana is just that. Completely different from the mainstream marijuana people use to get "high" and should not be confused with the the medical version being trialled. I won't pretend to know everything about it but I Hine it's something to do with removal of the THC content, maybe. But I guess this is the concern where people may use mainstream marijuana with other conditions like anxiety and depression which may actually be more harmful to the person.

There's been a lot of talk about medical marijuana use lately and for good reason. The debate is interesting and it's positive that it is gaining traction with funding and research.

But, my understanding is that medical marijuana is just that. Completely different from the mainstream marijuana people use to get "high" and should not be confused with the the medical version being trialled. I won't pretend to know everything about it but I Hine it's something to do with removal of the THC content, maybe. But I guess this is the concern where people may use mainstream marijuana with other conditions like anxiety and depression which may actually be more harmful to the person.
Marijuana and study are not a good mix. I am not so sure that THC is removed from medical marijuana. It may well be for children but for adults I would think it is much like normal marijuana, though I am no expert on the medical variety.

Yeah, I think the THC in medical marijuana is much lower, for some strains anyway. I believe there are many different variations no doubt being researched to assist with many different illnesses. I find it facing ting and would love to hear people's thoughts and opinions, especially those in the know with a medical background.

Maybe we should start another thread on medical marijuana so we don't hijack this thread.

Big pharma just wants in on the action. Plenty of people make oil and give it to sufferers of some nasty diseases. Many claim it's cured, halted and even prevented cancers. Some people use it stop seizures in their kids with great effect.

I'm not expert either, but I do know big pharma makes money of things you make yourself with dangerous and poisonous extraction methods to justify their massive costs for medications that should be relatively cheap.

Swooop Gone Critical

Sorry for hijacking your thread Tempest, but I really need some help with this. I'm currently on Zoloft for anxiety over studying. I started on a low dose of 50mg, moved up to 100mg just because I could, and I did manage to overcome my anxiety by finishing all my assignments (but was still very much a struggle). However, I'm now 7 days from my exam, which is the main source of my studying anxiety, and it is overbearing.

I plan on seeing the GP tomorrow and hoping he gives me mercy and signs my deferred exam application.

Now, given the hypothetical situation, that my application submits successfully, it means that I have an extra 3-4 weeks to really tackle this exam. But I don't think that's enough for me. I think I need to find other avenues of overcoming the anxiety in those 3-4 weeks.

Over the weekend, I had the realisation that I could resort to marijuana as a relaxant, although I've never tried it but I'm very interested in the idea, particularly if it helps me sleep at night as well.

Now, the main question I wanted to ask, is would there be any ramifications if I brought up the possibility of it with my GP? I'd be worried about the possible drug interaction between the two, which is why I feel the need to ask the GP tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi TFB

Sorry mate have t been logged on for ages so not seen your tag to me.

Too late now your exams are finished! Hope you went well.

And without touching marihuana!

Some ere ok with it, others get extreme anxiety after it a de do with the hydroponic variety many develop a schizophrenic illness.
That can happen after only a few uses and I've seen it as a GP many times.

Please don't use it and if you did please stop.
And if any others read this who are contemplating marihuana or any other drugs for that matter, please do you and your friends and your family a favour - and do not.

All the best :)

Hi TFB

Sorry mate have t been logged on for ages so not seen your tag to me.

Too late now your exams are finished! Hope you went well.

And without touching marihuana!

Some ere ok with it, others get extreme anxiety after it a de do with the hydroponic variety many develop a schizophrenic illness.
That can happen after only a few uses and I've seen it as a GP many times.

Please don't use it and if you did please stop.
And if any others read this who are contemplating marihuana or any other drugs for that matter, please do you and your friends and your family a favour - and do not.

All the best :)
I agree with Swoop regarding people with a predisposition towards psychosis being particularly susceptible. I have seen this happen first hand. I also warned TFB not to combine it with study and not to think of it as a just another form of medication to consider as a sleep or anxiety aid.

However, I disagree with his blanket condemnation of the drug. Recreational use by sensible people, particularly of the outdoor variety, is no more harmful than alcohol, and if used alone, does not result in the uncontrolled aggression or violence so often associated with alcohol use. My GP has no problem whatever with marijuana use. If consumed with a vaporizer, the ill effects of combusting it with tobacco are also eliminated.

There are horses for course, and marijuana should be avoided by the young, students and the mentally unstable. However, it is increasingly being recognised as having a medical role and is largely decriminalised. It is not necessarily the evil weed that Swoop is insinuating it to be in his post.

I agree with Swoop regarding people with a predisposition towards psychosis being particularly susceptible. I have seen this happen first hand. I also warned TFB not to combine it with study and not to think of it as a just another form of medication to consider as a sleep or anxiety aid.

However, I disagree with his blanket condemnation of the drug. Recreational use by sensible people, particularly of the outdoor variety, is no more harmful than alcohol, and if used alone, does not result in the uncontrolled aggression or violence so often associated with alcohol use. My GP has no problem whatever with marijuana use. If consumed with a vaporizer, the ill effects of combusting it with tobacco are also eliminated.

There are horses for course, and marijuana should be avoided by the young, students and the mentally unstable. However, it is increasingly being recognised as having a medical role and is largely decriminalised. It is not necessarily the evil weed that Swoop is insinuating it to be in his post.

Weed is only be used the Terminal Ill because the Effect of Making them Hungry means they keeps there Strength Longer

Weed is only be used the Terminal Ill because the Effect of Making them Hungry means they keeps there Strength Longer

I was skinny when I was a stoner, as soon as I stopped smoking I put on weight.

And for those saying recreational weed smoking is ok, sure when it starts like that but soon enough you will be smoking every hour as your tolerance increases...

I was skinny when I was a stoner, as soon as I stopped smoking I put on weight.

And for those saying recreational weed smoking is ok, sure when it starts like that but soon enough you will be smoking every hour as your tolerance increases...
Not everyone is incapable of controlling their use of marijuana. It is like using alcohol - most keep it within limits, some don't. I did specify 'recreational use by sensible people' and specified that it was not recommended for use by young people, students or mentally ill people.

Not everyone is incapable of controlling their use of marijuana. It is like using alcohol - most keep it within limits, some don't. I did specify 'recreational use by sensible people' and specified that it was not recommended for use by young people, students or mentally ill people.

Then why do Doctors say don't take Weed but okay to Drink?

Then why do Doctors say don't take Weed but okay to Drink?
My doctor says the exact opposite. I think you will find that many doctors have less of a problem with marijuana than alcohol. And medical marijuana is not just available for terminally ill patients as you stated. It is available for all sorts of medical conditions.

I've seen potheads in their 60's... Weed makes you mentally ill...

I've seen potheads in their 60's... Weed makes you mentally ill...
Did you miss the part about moderation?

I haven't seen some alcoholics in their 60's.

They were dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you miss the part about moderation?

I haven't seen some alcoholics in their 60's.

They were dead.

So you think they will have some herb only on Saturday evenings? It doesn't work like that. Particularly if used for pain relief you need more than that. The law with weed is if it's there they will smoke it.

My old man is an alcoholic in his 60's...

So you think they will have some herb only on Saturday evenings? It doesn't work like that. Particularly if used for pain relief you need more than that. The law with weed is if it's there they will smoke it.

My first ever girlfriend at 62 has early onset dementia, and is little better than a vegetable. She was a heavy social drinker who worked as a highly competent teacher and department head. She retired at 55 and started to hit the booze in the day time and is now a hollow shell of her former self. Her mother just died of alzheimer's but had a better comprehension of life in her final days than her daughter. I reckon she would be in a better headspace now if she had been a pothead than a drinker.

However, my key points related to self discipline and moderation, not to people becoming addicted to any particular vice. Overuse of anything rarely happens in isolation. Some people cope with adversity better than others and some people just have really bad life experience and look for an escape from the reality of their lives. People in my experience rarely become potheads or alcoholics, or addicts of any kind, without something creating the need for the substance that they crave. Your belief that people who have access to weed are going to want to smoke it every hour or day is misguided.

My doctor says the exact opposite. I think you will find that many doctors have less of a problem with marijuana than alcohol. And medical marijuana is not just available for terminally ill patients as you stated. It is available for all sorts of medical conditions.

THen why is it Illegal then?

Swooop is a Doctor and he said don't Touch it

THen why is it Illegal then?

Swooop is a Doctor and he said don't Touch it
Swoop is one doctor, not all doctors. My doctor has a different view. It is legal in 4 states in America, and will be soon in Canada. Other states have legal medical marijuana. I am not recommending you or anyone take it, particularly you with Asperger's. I worked with a boy with Asperger's whose obsession was drugs. He was a nightmare to handle. I just don't think that the drug itself is necessarily evil.

Swoop is one doctor, not all doctors. My doctor has a different view. It is legal in 4 states in America, and will be soon in Canada. Other states have legal medical marijuana. I am not recommending you or anyone take it, particularly you with Asperger's. I worked with a boy with Asperger's whose obsession was drugs. He was a nightmare to handle. I just don't think that the drug itself is necessarily evil.

I don't Mind Medical Weed as it can do good but people who use it just for the Sake of it should not do it.

I won't smoke it mate

I'm 48 and have smoked weed in varying degrees of frequency since my teens. I'm a university educated professional, as are some of my friends. I don't experience the same problems that you have described.

Alcohol nearly killed me

Actually the smoking part is not good for your health particularly as marijuana users tend to mix it with tobacco.

Vape baby, vape

I'm 48 and have smoked weed in varying degrees of frequency since my teens. I'm a university educated professional, as are some of my friends. I don't experience the same problems that you have described.

Alcohol nearly killed me

Well I don't particularly want to share my story on the Internet but weed messed me up and alcohol is fine so we're opposites. :drunk:

Well I don't particularly want to share my story on the Internet but weed messed me up and alcohol is fine so we're opposites. :drunk:

Fair enough, just don't use your own personal experience to generalise. I also know folk that've been screwed up by weed, however they pale into insignificance against those I know that've battled the bottle

Alcohol nearly killed me

Vape baby, vape
A Solo Arizer is my choice of weapon.

Fair enough, just don't use your own personal experience to generalise. I also know folk that've been screwed up by weed, however they pale into insignificance against those I know that've battled the bottle
From my experience, lot's of school students/young people start too early (pre-18). They lose motivation and drop by the wayside. I did a Grad Dip in Student Welfare back in the 90.s. I had to do an action project. I selected 10 students who were stoners and who all had a bunch of things in common - academically above average, non-conformist in appearance/uniform, high truancy, not completing work, single parent or blended families etc. Trouble is that with 3 months half my target group were no longer at the school. One 13 yr old spent 6 months in Torana when he pinched someone's plant from their garage and was convicted of theft and trespassing.

I would probably agree that booze is less habit forming than marijuana to 13 - 16 yr old. students. The problem is it is often difficult to sort the hen from the egg, whether it is the person or the drug. Grog has more of an acceptable party element to it to teenagers.

Needless to say I postponed the project and did it 4 yrs later on a different topic. I agree that starting smoking dope too young is dangerous, as it also can be for alcohol. It also introduces kids to tobacco or at least gives them a reason to purchase it. Vaping would be too uncool to rebellious teenagers. I have also witnessed plenty of students with no vices who are totally unmotivated and unwilling students. Those people seeking an escape all generally the addictive types.

As you say there are plenty of educated, professional people who enjoy a bit of herbal recreation. And personally, alcohol raises more red flags as the drug of choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back