Opinion The Upside and Importance of Lin Jong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jong simply has the game style to develop into one of the competitions premier midfielders because he has the ability to push forward and have an impact on the scoreboard. Not saying he will be as good as any of these players, but Garry Ablett, Chris Judd and more recently Nat Fyfe are the most damaging players in the AFL because they can change the game by kicking goals. When he has more experience, Jong will be able to kick goals week in week out because of his speed, height and jump.

A freakish player that, once he improves his skills, may be just as exciting as all of the other young guns.

Surely there is an elephant in the room that this conversation is taking place?

Would those who think Jong can't/won't be a good player for us over an extended period have the same views if he was of anglo-saxon heritage?

I throw this up because after watching the R1 match three times, I cannot fathom the basis for the negative views that I have read in this thread. He was one of our best in that match.
Strikes me as strange too....

Lol I'm amazed how many people only wath the fluffy parts of footy and not in depth

I've never said the he kid hasn't improved but for people that actually watch footy properly he isn't up to it and again today did all the things that make me doubt he will make it

I'm not going into It again as I'm sick to death of arguing what is very obvious to me so that's my last comment on him.

My opinon hasn't changed one bit, he can get the ball but against good teams he will fail and that will mean he won't make it

Ps did anyone watch The Next big thing Hrovats game today?? NOT UP TO IT

Other than that what a great bloody day I can't stand Adelaide or the people that come from that £€€% of a place
As a poster you are not up to it.....Are that much of a douche bag that you don't know that even Pendlebury, Ablett, Fyfe, make errors also sometimes, if you want to look at any errors Jong makes to support your call witch are getting less frequent by each match he plays, then god luck with that when you end up one of the few people who don't rate him. I actually thought here we go after the game against the crows you would admit you were wrong, like some of us did with our previous coach, but as i said further back, you come across as a douche. so i think i might make you my first ever ignore, and you will think and type who cares, but to me i do, as it enables me to not read your dribble...:D

Your free to stand by that comment. Just as 99% of bulldogs supporters are free to say your wrong. The game has changed, fitness, strength, running ability are important factors these days. A champion side has a bit of everything in it and there is no reason why Jong would not be part of a successful good team as he is currently proving and winning praises from the football world. Oh course he can still improve but he is a vital cog in our rise. Yet some stubbord people can't admit it beacause they made an incorrect call a few years ago and are sticking to it...
Thats the crust of it

As a poster you are not up to it.....Are that much of a douche bag that you don't know that even Pendlebury, Ablett, Fyfe, make errors also sometimes, if you want to look at any errors Jong makes to support your call witch are getting less frequent by each match he plays, then god luck with that when you end up one of the few people who don't rate him. I actually thought here we go after the game against the crows you would admit you were wrong, like some of us did with our previous coach, but as i said further back, you come across as a douche. so i think i might make you my first ever ignore, and you will think and type who cares, but to me i do, as it enables me to not read your dribble...:D

Already done that. Only one for me, too.

Reading threads on this board is a lot easier than it used to be...

Oh no please don't put me on ignore!!!

How will I continue without your attention and obviously all knowing knowledge of footy.

I've been wrong many many more ones than I've been right and aways happy to admit it but because I actually watch footy with two eyes both good and bad I get to see all the parts some so called couch geniuses don't see.

Jong has far and away gone past where I thought he would but I stand by my comment that he won't be a senior AFL footballer IN A GOOD TEAM

End discussion move on

Back to my douching ;)

Don't want to derail thread any further than it has already been derailed. But I've been wanting to put myself on the record for ages re MD's hobbyhorses.

Lin Jong - I think he's flat out wrong. Think Jong has some road to travel but I'm betting he will get there.
Tory Dickson - I think he's half right/half wrong - in that I think Dickson is a good placeholder till someone better comes along, over the next 6-18 months hopefully. But that's all he's good for.
Nathan Hrovat - Like MD, I just don't see it at the moment. I never have. But unlike MD, I'm not prepared to shout out to the heavens he won't make it. Just observing, and hoping his potential soon becomes as apparent to me as it seems to be to others.

Don't want to derail thread any further than it has already been derailed. But I've been wanting to put myself on the record for ages re MD's hobbyhorses.

Lin Jong - I think he's flat out wrong. Think Jong has some road to travel but I'm betting he will get there.
Tory Dickson - I think he's half right/half wrong - in that I think Dickson is a good placeholder till someone better comes along, over the next 6-18 months hopefully. But that's all he's good for.
Nathan Hrovat - Like MD, I just don't see it at the moment. I never have. But unlike MD, I'm not prepared to shout out to the heavens he won't make it. Just observing, and hoping his potential soon becomes as apparent to me as it seems to be to others.

Given that he's just played his 21st game, I think he's coming along ok.

After all, he's not The Bont, but then, very few are...

Jong's a big-bodied mid that's averaging 20 disposals (7th at the club), 5 tackles (3rd), 4 clearances (2nd) and 4 inside 50s (3rd) per game so far this season.

I can't foresee any way, bar injury, how he'll fall from one of our best mids this year to not being a part of our success in 2-3 years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does this guy actually contribute to the board?

Every time I visit he's attacking our players and supporters and derailing threads

Lol wow another one

Because I think a player won't make it isn't attacking them it's an opinion

What supporter have I attacked in the lat year that hasn't attacled me first?? Find one go on

And others detail the thread taking about me not me, I make an opinion then 7 people abuse me and I respond and IM derailing the thread?

Haha

What I offer is something most don't have the balls to do, honesty right or wrong

Oh and by the way YOU are derailing the thread taking about me :) thanks for playing

Mate I may indeed be wrong about Jong and I really don't mind if I am.

I may over state my opinion on Dickson but as I've aways said he won't be in a competitive finals team for us so we are simply wasting games on him when we could be exposing more kids to game time and expediating their improvement and by extension the teams. He doesn't add that much more than Hunter Hrovat Dale Honey and co would so why play him? Funny how all those screaming for him a couple weeks ago have gone quiet.

Hrovat!! The golden child! My issue is as much with other dogs supporters than his actual playing ability. I'm honestly amazed at the carry one over this very ordinary footy player. Ask any other supporter of any other club about him and the answer will mostly be who? He has done zero and is injury prone AND his so called elite skills are average at best.

But again I ask why am I lambasted for thinking these 3 blokes arnt good enough but all the others are? Does every player that's pulls on the jumper have to be fantastic? Why can others (like u) say the same thing but I get abused when I do?

Not that I care but 3/4 of the abuse I get now is directed firmly at me and has little to do with what I say and I say bring it on ladies, I outlasted Macca and I will outlast all of you and even if I'm wrong I will never apologise for having an opinion and neither should anyone else

Go dogs :)

I remember reading an article shortly after he was drafted, and Jong was quoted saying his main strength is his work rate and he will continue to work hard to give himself the best chance of making it as an AFL player.

Obviously he has done this, and now it's time to go one step further than that. Boyd and Cross started from a similar level as Jong, and they were both able to go that one step further. I can't see why Jong won't become a very good player.

Last year a poster after round 2 of the vfl season claimed our Chris maple was the worst coach in all of football history.

As we went on to win a premiership, to his credit, this poster stoically accepted his medicine.

He faced up to his error heroically
But others don't have that strength or self awareness.

Last year a poster after round 2 of the vfl season claimed our Chris maple was the worst coach in all of football history.

As we went on to win a premiership, to his credit, this poster stoically accepted his medicine.

He faced up to his error heroically
But others don't have that strength or self awareness.

Hahahha

Says the bloke who still wants Macca back ,)

Given that he's just played his 21st game, I think he's coming along ok.

After all, he's not The Bont, but then, very few are...

One thing that has impressed me with Jong is his intensity. For his lack of experience and errors, he always makes a 2nd, 3rd, 4th effort.

Obviously he has done this, and now it's time to go one step further than that. Boyd and Cross started from a similar level as Jong, and they were both able to go that one step further. I can't see why Jong won't become a very good player.
And Jong has more upside than either of them - raw athleticism. Jong is 188cm (but closer to 190), speed tested to be the fastest at the club, and has that massive vertical leap.

I think that the issue with MD is that there seems to be no reasonable way to have a discussion with him, as he will not change his mind or be swayed by any good argument. Pretty irritating on a forum (why else would one come here?). Like talking to a smug brick wall.

FWIW I thought the same of Jong. I now see that I was fundamentally wrong and that he will be at least a good player for us now and in the future.

I think that the issue with MD is that there seems to be no reasonable way to have a discussion with him, as he will not change his mind or be swayed by any good argument. Pretty irritating on a forum (why else would one come here?). Like talking to a smug brick wall.

FWIW I thought the same of Jong. I now see that I was fundamentally wrong and that he will be at least a good player for us now and in the future.

Why am I smug because I hold a strong. Opinion?

Why am I wrong about Jong as of yet?

I've admitted I'm wrong in as far as he has improved a lot more than I thought he would but I'm not prepared to YET say he will be a valuable AFL footballer long term. How can anyone say that is a fact yet?

I had over 2 years of ridicule for my opinion of Macca and I had "good" argument thrown at me left and right why I was wrong.

So many people only watch the end result of footy and not the play building up to it. For example watch Jong fly out of the midfield and miss kick the ball to a leading forward that fell into Grants hands. Now to me while it's good run its a failure of disposal under pressure that would result in a turnover against good teams. But because it ended in a mark everyone claps their hands and shouts hooray. My main issue with Jong is under pressure and against good teams WHEN they bother to actually worry about him which no one has yet. Maybe that says something also no?

He's outright aggressive and insulting to our players and to other posters. Apparently it's a game to him :rolleyes:

He needs to learn some respect before posting here again

Oh and by the way YOU are derailing the thread taking about me :) thanks for playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back