Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oh yeah, I think Lake's reaction was, in part at least, caused by Petrie's reaction. But in Petrie's case I'd be going for the "but he started it Mum" defence. As for Lake's he's a ****** so I've got no time for him.

I saw that bit on 360, and I agree Lake's flipout may have been made worse by Petrie, but the bit that bugs me is that he keeps trying to choke him as players are dragging him off, a couple of seconds later. I'm not sure very much mitigates that. At that point, he looks totally savage and out of control. For me, he has to go for a while.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Blinkered Victorian tossers like Matthew Lloyd making the case for why one of the five clubs who bent us over at the trade table last year for one of five former first round draftees is apparently now deserving of a priority pick.

Unbelievable.

Last of the Roys

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
On a different topic, our Quarters Won stat is starting to look embarrassing given we have only won 10 out of 60 quarters this year.

Take a look at what the Quarters Won ladder looks like from the AFL site
http://www.afl.com.au/afl/ladder

Port Quarters Won = 41, Position = 3rd, 11 wins / 4 losses
Sydney QW = 39, Position = 1st, 12/3
Hawthorn QW = 39, Position = 2nd, 11/4
Freo QW = 35, Position = 4th, 11/4
Geelong QW = 35, Position = 5th, 11/4
Adelaide QW = 35, Position = 9th, 8/7
North QW = 33, Position = 7th, 9/6
Collingwood QW = 32, Position = 6th, 9/6
West Coast QW = 32, Position = 11th, 6/9
Carlton QW = 29, Position = 13th, 5/10
Gold Coast QW = 28, Position = 8th, 9/6
Richmond QW = 28, Position = 12th, 5/10
Essendon QW = 27, Position = 10th, 8/7
Bulldogs QW = 27, Position = 14th, 5/10
GWS QW = 18, Position = 15th, 4/11
Melbourne QW = 24, Position = 16th, 4/11
Saints QW = 16, Position = 18th, 3/12
Lions QW = 10, Position = 17th, 4/11

Obviously a significant cause is how young our teams are generally - meaning they are unable to finish off quarters as strongly as our opponents. But still, it is a bloody damning statistic given our ratio relative to other bottom sides.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
On a different topic, our Quarters Won stat is starting to look embarrassing given we have only won 10 out of 60 quarters this year.

Obviously a significant cause is how young our teams are generally - meaning they are unable to finish off quarters as strongly as our opponents. But still, it is a bloody damning statistic given our ratio relative to other bottom sides.

On the other hand, many of the quarters we have won have been absolute rippers (eg, second quarters against the Dogs and NM, first quarter v Saints and last quarter v Carlton.) We won those games on the back of these. To me this has given us a brief glimpse of what this side is really going to be capable of going into the future. I feel more heartened by this than if we were scratching together more numbers of winning quarters by playing the Roos style of damage limitation.

Last of the Roys

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
^^^^^

Bit hard to read but I'm not particularly surprised.

We've got a good quarter or two in us per game, at the most. The rest of the time, we're just trying to break even or limit the damage.

Yeah sorry about that - it looked fine until I hit reply. I have now manually put in the key figures so people can read it.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fruit, what's with that? You eat too much and has adverse affects.

For all of those who think I'm full of s**t, I can tell you I'm not anymore....**** gotta go.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Blinkered Victorian tossers like Matthew Lloyd making the case for why one of the five clubs who bent us over at the trade table last year for one of five former first round draftees is apparently now deserving of a priority pick.

Unbelievable.

If Melbourne didn't get one last year, I don't see how any team can get one. St. Kilda have only had one bad season prior to this, in 2012 they won 12 wins and came 9th. Absolute joke if they get one.

They've already been rewarded enough for letting experienced players like Goddard and Dal Santo go in terms of compensation, they shouldn't then get rewarded because they're not very good after letting go those experienced players.

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
My man Martin is dominating around the ground; holding his marks and providing a physical presence. Will be a test of Leppa's coaching to maintain him as our No. 1 ruckman and not gamble on unreliable potential.

KICK A GOAL. Take a shot. Something something clanger attempted pass to someone with 4 men on him something something shank something something 7 asterisks campaigner.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Daniel Merrett.

How many opportunities does this guy get when enough is finally enough?

Bet there are have been quite a few guys in the reserves this season who are continuously asking the same question lost in the double standards of Coach Leppitsch's selection policy.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our sub continues to have no impact late in the game.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Daniel Merrett.

How many opportunities does this guy get when enough is finally enough?

Bet there are have been quite a few guys in the reserves this season who are continuously asking the same question lost in the double standards of Coach Leppitsch's selection policy.
And who do you think is going to take Merret's spot. If there was someone to take it, Merret would probably be gone.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Depressing stat:

Our combined winning margin for the year is 22 points and its quite possible that it won't improve this season.

Tonight has to be Merrett's last game at full forward. One contested mark and one mark on the lead inside 50 for the whole game, for a return of one goal. His shot for goal in the last quarter basically sums up his value to our side as a forward. He is an absolute liability as a forward and to continually play him there shows that Leppitsch really does lack imagination as a coach. Is there anyone out there who actually thinks he is going to suddenly improve and at this late stage in his career and develop the ability to kick with even a modicum of consistency? I don't accept that he is the only option available and having watched him FAIL over and again as a forward it has to be time for a change. Merrett would actually struggle to get a game in most AFL sides and he would certainly not get a game in any as a full forward. Sigh ... I feel a little better now.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In order, I'd go Lisle, Paine, Michael, Bourke, Freeman and I don't reckon the last three are ready for senior AFL football.
Okay, so you are saying only Lisle and Paine are ready. Paine has been playing in the defense iirc for the past few weeks.
Lisle couldn't hold down a forward with the 2nd best defender when he was playing. I doubt he would be able to do it with the best defender.

However, Merret is stinking it up yet creating a contest.
Why couldnt he be more of a Roughy-esque mould!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back