The Vent Thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
50/50 on the Merrett calls. Thought the delivery was ordinary tonight, floated passes into the 50 with 2 defenders breathing down his neck.

When the ball hit the deck, no amount of Lisle or Paine can match what Merrett does at ground level.

His set-shots were embarrassing for a full-forward. Should do better.

However, Merrett is stinking it up yet creating a contest.
Is that it? Are these the Key Selection Criteria to play full forward at Brisbane? Nothing about being able to take a contested mark or kick straight. Nothing about kicking goals? I'm not having a crack at you a mayse ing, I actually like the quoted part of your post because you have accurately identified the incredibly limited / low expectations the selection committee at Brisbane have when gifting Merrett with senior selection as our full forward. My beef is that surely we have reached the stage where we should try something new, because what we have been doing with Merrett has totally failed.

I actually think Merrett is looking like he won't last more than another two seasons. Can't get out of a gallop, never chases and always looks knocked up after a contest when all the time he rarely leaves the forward 50.

Merrett needs to be dropped back to the reserves....he needs a good dose of reality. Give someone else a chance, our season is over so why not.
Merrett is a fullback playing forward because we have no one else.
Dropping him back to the reserves will achieve nothing.
Poor bloke is doing his best.

Merrett is a fullback playing forward because we have no one else.
Dropping him back to the reserves will achieve nothing.
Poor bloke is doing his best.
Perhaps, but it is clearly not good enough! You are right though, he is being played out of position, which highlights all of his shortcomings as a footballer. As a spoiling defender he is one of the best. With the ball in his hands in defence you just shut your eyes, but at least he manages to clear the ball effectively more often than not. Leigh Matthews had him summed up.

Last edited:
Okay, so you are saying only Lisle and Paine are ready. Paine has been playing in the defense iirc for the past few weeks.
Lisle couldn't hold down a forward with the 2nd best defender when he was playing. I doubt he would be able to do it with the best defender.

However, Merret is stinking it up yet creating a contest.
Why couldnt he be more of a Roughy-esque mould!!!
Because he is not Roughhead?
He is Merrett and a backman trying to be a forward.

Merrett back to defense and Lisle up forward might be worth a crack, but to be honest Lisle's cards seem stamped and Merrett takes a while to adjust. I don't think we can afford to lose his experience at present.

Paine might be worth bringing in just to have another target there so there are different options - thought Ash was opportunistic tonight which always helps.

I really don't think Bourke, Michael or Freeman are going to do anything better than Merrett is currently regardless.

Really just need to go inside 50 far better than we are. Indecision and roosting it up in the air to an Eagle killed us tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when you thought we had reached the bottom...

...a crowd of 13,610 at the Gabba on a fine night and a winnable game.

Shows how much our supporter base has shrunk with our continued on-field woes and how dependent we are on Victorian expats watching their teams play at the Gabba.

Well who else do we have then?

The thing is Lisle showed something in that last game at Katrina, then Leppa threw him down back and now he's struggling again.

I reckon if he had one more chance next to Close the pair could rival Brown and Bradshaw of old. Alas it will probably never happen.

Lisle is still young enough, but Merrett is nearing 30. I'd be playing Jordy.

The thing is Lisle showed something in that last game at Katrina, then Leppa threw him down back and now he's struggling again.

I reckon if he had one more chance next to Close the pair could rival Brown and Bradshaw of old. Alas it will probably never happen.

Why?

Disagree Kezz. I fact I think we had this debate during the ressies 2 weeks ago.

Jordy is not up to it. A monty for delistment at the end of the year IMO.

That's my solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back