The Vent Thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree Kezz. I fact I think we had this debate during the ressies 2 weeks ago.

Jordy is not up to it. A monty for delistment at the end of the year IMO.

We've had this debate multiple times, and probably across multiple dimensions too.

Jordy will only be delisted because Leppa can't handle the fact that I'm right :p

Blah blah blah blah merrett.

People still don't get this thread. If you think he's s**t you can post it here and should go unchallenged cos you've vented. if you want to talk about the merits of merrett start another thread.

My vent: Merrett blah blah.

Hey guys, I'm kinda new around here and thought I'd give my opinion.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Merrett. He's basically being asked to play a power forward/first forward role that can crash packs and be the centrepiece of the forward line because he's our only option. Close and Freeman could develop into that player, but they're too young.

Lisle I'd class as a tall forward, but not a powerfull forward. He's never played that way in the reserves games I've seen him be successful in, and in that Geelong game, the marks he took were one on one marks, not big pack/contested situations. In those situations, his defender would just peel off him and kill the contest.

Paine tries to play as that way, but isn't really big enough to do it successfully in my opinion.

The guys we drafted to fill that role, can do it at AFL level (to an extent) and are the right age are Mitch Clarke and Lachlan Henderson. But obviously they aren't with us anymore.

In short, I feel like Merrett is basically doing what's asked of him because he's the only one in the squad with the physical tools to be that power forward, even though he's not terribly good at it.

Like I said, just my view

I am sick of all the old people (65+) who just scream out "kick it!" Every time a player gets the ball all night. Frustrating when we are working on a running game.

While I appreciate those who are posting good quality stuff about the Merrett debate, this isn't the thread for it.

Maybe someone should start a "Where's our KPF at?" thread?

Nothing wrong with the autopsy thread is there?
Nope, totally fine. I just meant if you wanted to get into a more general debate about Merrett's role in the side beyond his performance this week.

I am sick of all the old people (65+) who just scream out "kick it!" Every time a player gets the ball all night. Frustrating when we are working on a running game.

Well I am thoroughly sick of the people (and they're not all old) who scream out

"FORWARDS ....NOT BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!"

.....who have absolutely no concept, much less understanding of the principle of switching play to the open or "fat" side.

This, and some of the other homespun pearls of wisdom that our "supporters" regularly come out with make me want to call them bad names.:mad:

Speaking of the switch, I was under the impression that it was supposed to be done quickly so that the other side were left on the other side of the field while we moved up the opposite wing.

Was I wrong? Is it supposed to be a slow, painful slog up the field usually ending in a turnover? :confused:

I'm on the lisle/Paine bandwagon, over Merrett not being able to finish off our hard work.
Unfortunately Goose is playing really well at fullback so do we drop him or Merrett?
Merrett has proved to be a liability when playing back in recent times(no doubt the whole fwd back switching)

I'm on the lisle/Paine bandwagon, over Merrett not being able to finish off our hard work.
Unfortunately Goose is playing really well at fullback so do we drop him or Merrett?
Merrett has proved to be a liability when playing back in recent times(no doubt the whole fwd back switching)

Eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be easier if Goose was playing poorly- drop him and shunt Merrett back into the backline-permanently

Since when has it ever been assumed that Merrett is a better player than Maguire? It should be easier to drop and shunt Merrett to the reserves, its a no brainer.

Maguire is close to career best form post his horrific leg injury.

Since when has it ever been assumed that Merrett is a better player than Maguire? It should be easier to drop and shunt Merrett to the reserves, its a no brainer.

Maguire is close to career best form post his horrific leg injury.
I'm happy with that, whatever it takes to get him out of our fwd line

Just when you thought we had reached the bottom...

...a crowd of 13,610 at the Gabba on a fine night and a winnable game.

We have roughly 23,247 members (source = http://www.aflmembershipnumbers.com/brisbane-membership-numbers.html).

If 6,000 of them are VIC, couch pototo/country and pet members (if they are counted? o_O) , where the hell were the other 17,247 last night?

Of that 13,610 last night a contingent would have been WC members/supporters, casual observers/expats, and corporates (if counted).

Makes me wonder why some bother paying up (in saying that I acknowledge some do it to support the club financially).

where the hell were the other 17,247 last night?

7-10,000 of them would be 3 game members too, which I'm not sure why they should even be counted.

Its pretty hard to take any club's membership numbers seriously for that very reason. The only clubs that have legitimate members numbers are the WA and SA clubs mainly because they don't offer 3 game memberships and in West Coast and Adelaide's case, there is a wait list to actually become a member.

I'll probably get roasted for this, but meh.

I was pretty excited when Joelly kicked his goal, because Joel kicking goals is pretty awesome, but goals like that, especially the first one when we're under the pump, they're spiritually "Captains Goals", goals that the Captain should kick because he's the leader and he's the one to inspire everyone. Jed should be kicking those goals. Not Joel. It just made me a bit uncomfortable, and made me wonder about our Captaincy. The thing is, I don't think Rockliff is anywhere near ready to be Captain. A lot of people seem to like his style and compare him to Jonathan Brown, but I can't ever remember Brown getting under someone's skin with words, it was always brute strength and uncontrolled aggression, not being a little s**t. Rockliff is too Ballantyne-like for my liking, and I think he might have at least another season before he's ready for Captaincy.

*flame shield ready*

I have a couple of hates. I hate the long kick out to a taller opposition team, and the after a good passage of play through the middle, a long kick to a taller opposition defense.

We have roughly 23,247 members (source = http://www.aflmembershipnumbers.com/brisbane-membership-numbers.html).

If 6,000 of them are VIC, couch pototo/country and pet members (if they are counted? o_O) , where the hell were the other 17,247 last night?

Of that 13,610 last night a contingent would have been WC members/supporters, casual observers/expats, and corporates (if counted).

Makes me wonder why some bother paying up (in saying that I acknowledge some do it to support the club financially).
Wow...makess me sick that number

I'll probably get roasted for this, but meh.

I was pretty excited when Joelly kicked his goal, because Joel kicking goals is pretty awesome, but goals like that, especially the first one when we're under the pump, they're spiritually "Captains Goals", goals that the Captain should kick because he's the leader and he's the one to inspire everyone. Jed should be kicking those goals. Not Joel. It just made me a bit uncomfortable, and made me wonder about our Captaincy. The thing is, I don't think Rockliff is anywhere near ready to be Captain. A lot of people seem to like his style and compare him to Jonathan Brown, but I can't ever remember Brown getting under someone's skin with words, it was always brute strength and uncontrolled aggression, not being a little s**t. Rockliff is too Ballantyne-like for my liking, and I think he might have at least another season before he's ready for Captaincy.

*flame shield ready*

Vossy liked to get under the skin of the opposition with words and I can't remember a better captain. I'm happy for Rocky to be our captain and don't think next year would be precipitating. Sledging doesn't really bother me provided it doesn't include racist or homophobic remarks.

Vossy liked to get under the skin of the opposition with words and I can't remember a better captain. I'm happy for Rocky to be our captain and don't think next year would be precipitating. Sledging doesn't really bother me provided it doesn't include racist or homophobic remarks.

True, but then again I can't remember Vossy getting suspended every other week either. And Vossy certainly wasn't put under the spotlight for what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back