The WACA - Downfall

Remove this Banner Ad

Dude, we have 38,000 reserved seat holders. Take the WACA members out and it had what, 20,000 seats? It's not even close. Which 18,000 members do you want to deny entry to?

The WACA stopped being used partly because of capacity, but partly because it was an even worse venue than Subiaco. Just a horrible, horrible place to watch footy. And cricket for that matter. It's just a s**t stadium.

Are you serious??
The WACA was a fantastic place to watch footy, and it's a great place to watch cricket.

The capacity was the major issue obviously

Are you serious??
The WACA was a fantastic place to watch footy, and it's a great place to watch cricket.

The capacity was the major issue obviously
As long as you don't mind looking like a lobster.

Was a redevolped WACA, along the same lines as the Adelaide Oval, ever a viable option for a new Perth Stadium? It's close to the city, but what is transport/ parking like? It never seemed to come up as a viable option, just wondering the reasons?

Simply put no. The WACA isnt anywhere near the condition of Adelaide Oval (pre redevelopment) It would need to be completely demolished. The WACA is already at capacity with members and cricket would have no home if this was to happen. There is limited space with which to build on. No mass transit like trains. It's a fair hike from the nearest train station. The roads are gridlock around there even with the smallest crowd.

Also the WAFC hold the licences for both Fremantle and West Coast, WAFC is basically the state government. They wouldn't want to be in direct competition with the WACA for gate takings, food and beverage, match day hospitality, corporate boxes, advertising etc. etc.

Simply put no. The WACA isnt anywhere near the condition of Adelaide Oval (pre redevelopment) It would need to be completely demolished. The WACA is already at capacity with members and cricket would have no home if this was to happen. There is limited space with which to build on. No mass transit like trains. It's a fair hike from the nearest train station. The roads are gridlock around there even with the smallest crowd.

Also the WAFC hold the licences for both Fremantle and West Coast, WAFC is basically the state government. They wouldn't want to be in direct competition with the WACA for gate takings, food and beverage, match day hospitality, corporate boxes, advertising etc. etc.
because of all of the problems of having lights installed at subiaco in the 90s, & having significant upgrades to its capacity as well over the years. Was there ever talk about the WACA getting the redevelopment instead of subiaco & football moving permanently to the WACA

Can anyone tell me of soccer being played at the WACA? And when footy was first played there? Did they ever play WAFL or State of Origin there?

Can anyone tell me of soccer being played at the WACA? And when footy was first played there? Did they ever play WAFL or State of Origin there?
Dont recall a huge deal of it, but the Glory played finals at the WACA in the late 90's
WACA was mainly used for night games when the eagles game in (1987), and a few WAFL teams used it as well during this period (mainly Perth i think)
http://wm9vodvip.bigpond.com/wh_ivideo/AFL/premiership/1997/06/1-256_rs.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
That was a 97 game at the WACA

yes, state of origin a few times, 1989 to 1991 I think
here is a clip of 1991

pretty sure one of these games is when teddy said his famous 'you stuck it right up them' speech after the game - its defn the waca in the background. prob was 1989 or 1990 because the Vics lost 1991

because of all of the problems of having lights installed at subiaco in the 90s, & having significant upgrades to its capacity as well over the years. Was there ever talk about the WACA getting the redevelopment instead of subiaco & football moving permanently to the WACA

Not that i recall. The biggest problem in Subiaco was the residents being very resistant to night footy. Claremont at the time hosted Friday night speedway at the Showgrounds and this also drew numerous complaints from residents. For those that dont know Perth they are fairly elitist suburbs.

Finally the council ratified night footy and Subiaco installed lights. The WACA while it looks close to the CBD is in an awful location. As i mentioned i dont ever remember talk of it being redeveloped for footy.

Soccer back to the 50s, visiting English teams, Sir Stanley Matthews.

WAFL: Perth Football club home ground before Lathlain Park was opened in the 60s.

There was no talk of the WACA for footy, it'd be 50 years since league footy was played on ovals with cricket pitches. I remember Subi with pitches before the Subi Cricket Club went down to Shenton Park.

There was talk of moving footy HQ to Perry Lakes Stadium after the 1962 Commonwealth Games but the nimby crew out Floreat way didnt want riff raff footy fans parking in their streets for a couple of hours a week through winter.

Last edited:
Are you serious??

No, it was a terrible place to watch footy. Even Subiaco shat all over it, and that says something.

I can't even think of one redeeming feature of the ground. Hard to get to, poor seating views, not much cover from the rain, 3rd rate amenities. The biggest asset they have is the wicket, and that's not exactly useful for a footy game.

Simply put no. The WACA isnt anywhere near the condition of Adelaide Oval (pre redevelopment) It would need to be completely demolished.

In all fairness, Adelaide Oval was completely demolished with the exception of the hill and the scoreboard. But otherwise you're right about the position. It looks good on a map to interstaters, but it's a shocking place to drive to and the only public transport is a few buses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes, state of origin a few times, 1989 to 1991 I think
here is a clip of 1991

pretty sure one of these games is when teddy said his famous 'you stuck it right up them' speech after the game - its defn the waca in the background. prob was 1989 or 1990 because the Vics lost 1991

Was at the '91 game.

Got pissed on but it was worth it.

In all fairness, Adelaide Oval was completely demolished with the exception of the hill and the scoreboard. But otherwise you're right about the position. It looks good on a map to interstaters, but it's a shocking place to drive to and the only public transport is a few buses.

While that is true, the Western Stand development was very separate to the rest of the ground redevelopment - which included the hill (the hill was reduced in size while the lower seating bowl was expanded.

There was no talk of the WACA for footy, it'd be 50 years since league footy was played on ovals with cricket pitches. I remember Subi with pitches before the Subi Cricket Club went down to Shenton Park.

Perth Oval had a cricket pitch till at least the late 70's.

Mothers nightmare with white shorts !!!!!.

Thats not my point, the point was why was it just Left for dead the WACA, thats all i wanted to get out as it had room for Development

I dare say the only redevelopment long term will be for residential and commercial

It smelled like a swamp in the early 70s, you needed a shower before adjourning to the pub post game.

it is amazing tracing back the great lakes district and the infrastructure built over it today.

I dare say the only redevelopment long term will be for residential and commercial
They make far more money building residental towers on the land than commericial. Although if the climate change people are right on sea level rising by over 1m not sure it would make any difference though as most of the area will return to swamp anyway

They make far more money building residental towers on the land than commericial. Although if the climate change people are right on sea level rising by over 1m not sure it would make any difference though as most of the area will return to swamp anyway

that's why they are building up circa 4 metres around the new canal by the waca

Not the only swamp I played on. I call those lakes swamps.

I laughed so hard when I arrived from over East and found out a suburb in Perth was actually called Dog Swamp

but I guess it was an accurate description

Remove this Banner Ad

Back