Autopsy The Wash-Up: Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if we don't improve, and don't get the free agents we need, I can see others over taking us. If we stay the same, then I wouldn't be surprised to see clubs like GC going past us.
I have however, confidence in the coaching staff to not let that happen.

Interesting thing that Ross Lyon said in his post semi presser, that Freo need to start training smarter. With all the travel, it seems a lot of training time is sacrificed for recovery as opposed to skills. If we can work a bit harder on this area, and maybe get a better run of injuries/suspensions next year, I think we can be top 4 again.

My 2cents

A lot of small things went the right way for Freo in 2013. On the back of hard work, we had a comparably easier draw with no or few injuries for the run into the finals. Our core midfield and backline stayed relatively fit and available all season. We won the close games (Richmond at home in 2013) and the Qualifying Final. Everything fell into place except accurate goal kicking in the last day in September.

Comparatively, Freo 2014 was strong but could never consistently field a fully fit 22. We seem to suffer greatest when our backline gets injured. In 2012, McPharlins injury pretty much cost us the game against Adelaide. Injuries to McPharlin, Johnson, was too much for a well-rested Sydeny and the Silvagni injury greatly stretched our backline this year. Ibbo and Dawson did well but missing two AA defenders in the finals is just too much!

The tipping point was the injury to the AA small forward who has been on fire this year. Upon reflection, I thought we played well against Port Adelaide since we were missing three AA players and Port had pretty much their whole team up and firing again. Port are a good side and when they have no injuries, they can beat anyone (hence why they were top of the ladder before key injuries). We also could have won the game if we took our opportunities. I think we should be proud how well we’ve done this year considering (except the StKilda game). We have proven depth, young players are starting to show potential, Fyfe, we finished the regular season in the top 4 again and we have huge potential. I for one do not think this year has been wasted, despite the media saying its win the GF or bust. AFL is a grueling game and everything has to fall into place at the end of the year. This year it didn’t but I am excited for 2015!! Bring it on!

Well if we don't improve, and don't get the free agents we need, I can see others over taking us. If we stay the same, then I wouldn't be surprised to see clubs like GC going past us.
I have however, confidence in the coaching staff to not let that happen.
GC will not go past us!! The board and coaching issues at the moment are making them a basket case and they proved if Ablett doesn't play they are pretty ordinary.

Barrett also put something on the AFL site today that said if you were evaluating the chances of the Eagles and us in 2015 you would be tempted to say the Eagles had better prospects.....Please!!!!!

Barrett also put something on the AFL site today that said if you were evaluating the chances of the Eagles and us in 2015 you would be tempted to say the Eagles had better prospects.....Please!!!!!

I think this board criminally underrates the Eagles at times but seriously, maybe 2016/17, they'll need to get another half a midfield first.

What in the last 2 years have they done to suggest they should be rated?

Exactly. They had the softest draw possible this season and still couldn't make the 8.

I think this board criminally underrates the Eagles at times but seriously, maybe 2016/17, they'll need to get another half a midfield first.

They didn't beat a top 8 side this year and I think the year before they didn't either (may have beat Essendon who were then thrown out). Even Stk & GWS have jagged wins over decent sides but WC are the classic flat trackers, they're actually quite good to watch with the forward line they have, Hurn's rebound but good sides don't led Hurn, Gaff & Shuey do as they please.

They couldn't get it done against us when we had Taberner & Dawson as our talls playing in defense despite hitting the lead in the last qtr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back