Discussion The West Coast Eagles Guernsey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a bit weird. Lets start the conspiracy theories.

It was aliens.

Could be interpreted in many ways. I hate to say it, but I think the clash us staying :(

The yellow from sand and blue from water... never knew that, makes sense
Aren't these kind of things made up after a decision? A little like the colour version of a backronym. I think it was generally agreed that yellow and blue was selected due to its state resemblance. Obviously black was taken by Richmond, so blue was adopted.

I'm sure I've read this in one of the threads but for the life of me I can't find. So I will ask again.

On the WCE website it shows Daniel KERR wearing an away jumper with an SGIO logo on the front, so I'm assuming it has SGIO on the back? Therefore home sponsors on an away jumper? Kerr is wearing a jumper with the new collar so it must be 2008 onwards.

So question did the WCE wear the away jumper at home with home sponsors sometime in the past few years. Maybe it had something to do with a clash? with opposition or could the photo just be a training pic or mock up.

Also what year did the WCE did they start to use alternating sponsorship on jumpers. ie SGIO/HJ home HJ/SGIO away? Was it 2009?

Cheers guys.

Kerr would be wearing a 2009 or 2010 guernsey. It would have Hungry Jack's on the back.

The new collar in 2008 had the one sponsor per guernsey, and home only had SGIO and away had HJ. There were a couple of games in 2008 where they wore the 2007 collar because they didn't have any guernseys made with alternate sponsor logos.

2009 saw two sponsors per guernsey (SGIO front/HJ back for home).

2010 saw GPS pocket stitched into the back of the neck.

And yes they've worn the royal guernsey at home in the past few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, 09 counts as the past few years (just). :cool:

Anyway, the pic in questions is from West Coast v Collingwood at Subiaco in 2009.

182653.jpg

AFL 2009 Rd 09 West Coast v Collingwood
Sat, 23rd May 2009
Image ID: 182653
Eagle Daniel Kerr in action during the AFL Indigenous Round 09 match between the West Coast Eagles and the Collingwood Magpies at Subiaco.

Yeah, 09 counts as the past few years (just). :cool:

Anyway, the pic in questions is from West Coast v Collingwood at Subiaco in 2009.

182653.jpg

AFL 2009 Rd 09 West Coast v Collingwood
Sat, 23rd May 2009
Image ID: 182653
Eagle Daniel Kerr in action during the AFL Indigenous Round 09 match between the West Coast Eagles and the Collingwood Magpies at Subiaco.

Did any of these guernseys get sold by the club to the public?

Been wearing those kits for a while. Thank god they don't wear them in the real stuff ;)

I don't know if any of you saw the Dubai Sevens tournament on the weekend, but the Poms must have seen your old ochre threads and taken a shine to them.

SS_OFS_DUBAI-7S_2010_04_1688.jpg

sp04de-turner.jpg

22405.2.jpg

Yeah that is their Tequila Sunrise jersey, last year after losing badly in a match and as such had a really poor tournament they were made to wear it all the time (in all the following tournaments) as a punishment because they did not deserve to wear the all white of England.

Yeah that is their Tequila Sunrise jersey, last year after losing badly in a match and as such had a really poor tournament they were made to wear it all the time (in all the following tournaments) as a punishment because they did not deserve to wear the all white of England.

This may sound really dumb but are you actually serious? :eek:

This may sound really dumb but are you actually serious? :eek:

100%, their coach was so annoyed with them that he said that they did not deserve to wear the national colours until they proved they were worthy. But now apparently it is lucky.

Article

DUBAI // The tangerine abominations which England were originally forced to wear as a punishment are threatening to become a permanent fixture at the Dubai Rugby Sevens, after Ben Ryan's side retained their title wearing their lucky change kit last night.

Mat Turner, who wore a dazzling pair of hot lava boots to go with his garish playing strip, was named Man of the Tournament, after England trounced France in the most one-sided Dubai final in recent memory.

Ryan ordered his side to wear the orange shirts as penance for losing a pool match to Portugal here 12 months ago.

They went on to win that competition, and the nauseating number has become their "finals shirt" ever since.

"It is a superstition," Turner, who scored seven tries in the competition, said. "As much as we know the crowd don't like it, we enjoy it, and when we are on the field it is all about us. We like it, and we are not going to change it."

Dubai is unambiguously England's patch, so much so the French marching band even ushered in the kick off for the final by playing God Save the Queen.

Their side were only slightly less accommodating on the pitch, as England dominated to such an extent that Ryan deemed the showpiece "boring".

Their seminal game was essentially played at 11.32am, when they beat New Zealand in the quarter-final.

There appears to be little love lost between the two sets of players, and a fractious tone was set before kick off when Ryan and his coaching team evicted their counterparts from their technical area.

"He wasn't very happy, he probably won't speak to me for a while," Ryan said of ordering Gordon Tietjens, the New Zealand coach, off his turf.

"It is good if we are getting under their skin, because it shows they think we are a decent side. I'll take that as a positive."

The contretemps continued on the field, with various scuffles breaking out between the world series holders, New Zealand, and the defending Dubai champions from England.

"We let our actions speak louder than our words on the field," Turner said. "We let them do all the talking and we do all the showing."

A second consecutive triumph in Dubai marked quite a turnaround from Ryan's team, who had opened the new campaign with a faltering performance in Australia a week ago.

"We grew in stature throughout the weekend," said Greg Barden, the former marine who provided an assured presence as England's captain.

"To be No 1 in the world you have to beat the best teams. We will concentrate on ourselves this season and what we can do on the pitch."

On a whim, I ordered the Rd 11 1987 game between Footscray and West Coast from Name a Game. Not only is it a great example of yellow shorts, but it's also the source of the one picture I've ever seen of Ross Glendinning wearing what appears to be a laced-up Eagles jumper.

Sure enough, the DVD of the match seems to back it up. It's clear from early on that Ross is wearing something different - even the colouring is a little off.

glendinning1.jpg

The commentators mention that this is his 200th game. Is that the reason? Who knows.

There are several moments where the lacing is quite apparent - static shots don't do it quite enough justice but it's clearly very different to what the others are wearing.

glendinning2.jpg
glendinning3.jpg

Of course, at least two Dogs (Royal, MacPherson, others?) are also wearing laces in this game. This is one of them:

royal.jpg

And I've only watched one quarter! An interesting little oddity indeed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back