Discussion The West Coast Eagles Guernsey Thread

May 28, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
I personally think the very fact they've mocked up a totally new, navy-based design actually shows a bit. Most people on here realise it would take about 6 seconds to recolour the existing template Puma have, but the fact the Eagles have probably commissioned Puma to knock some designs up says a bit. Publicly showing off the whole campaign is a good move too.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that graphic is at most a recoloured existing template, which Puma would have supplied to the Eagles at the beginning of this season. It's the royal away guernsey, as evidenced by the front Bankwest logo and rear SGIO logo. (I think it might not even be recoloured, Puma artist proofs are normally fairly inaccurate).

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
View attachment 78283
This is what the club is thinking of doing for home, away, clash
Ideally any designs submitted should have the wings connected. The point was raised in yesterday's meeting about what could be done to remove the issue with the side panel. There were no straight answers given but even so, it's probably worth letting the club know that the wings shouldn't be broken.

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
Ideally any designs submitted should have the wings connected. The point was raised in yesterday's meeting about what could be done to remove the issue with the side panel. There were no straight answers given but even so, it's probably worth letting the club know that the wings shouldn't be broken.
I think the reason there was no straight answer given is that it isnt a club decision, its a manufacturer decision. It all depends on Puma having/not having side panels. If Puma were to have any other club that has a design on the side panel (e.g. Geelong and GC) then those clubs could be affected too. Geelong would have the hops broken up by white side panels and Gold Coast would either have the weirdly shaped yellow panels, or the re panels would break up the yellow unnecessarily

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the reason there was no straight answer given is that it isnt a club decision, its a manufacturer decision. It all depends on Puma having/not having side panels. If Puma were to have any other club that has a design on the side panel (e.g. Geelong and GC) then those clubs could be affected too. Geelong would have the hops broken up by white side panels and Gold Coast would either have the weirdly shaped yellow panels, or the re panels would break up the yellow unnecessarily
We were told the side panels are there to stay. It's a question of whether Puma can dye the panel appropriately to connect the wings.

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Surely it would be something like this?

bwest2.jpg
Hate that Jumper the one u guys had in the 90s was the best and excellent design it was..

23_fan

Senior List
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
We were told the side panels are there to stay. It's a question of whether Puma can dye the panel appropriately to connect the wings.
Judging by the side panels on my 2014 Adelaide jumpers the navy is sublimated like the rest of the jumper. So, in theory there is no reason why they could not sublimate the yellow at the top to connect the wings. Whether they can work it out so the that transition from front to back looks good every time without any awkward misaligned wings is another question.

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Why do the club insist they need navy in the home jumper? Due to it being the colour on the logo?

The club appears to have a very strong preference for using navy as our primary blue. They think it is a strong colour that contrasts well with gold. So the colour drives the logo, rather than the logo driving the colour.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The club appears to have a very strong preference for using navy as our primary blue. They think it is a strong colour that contrasts well with gold. So the colour drives the logo, rather than the logo driving the colour.
The gold does stand out more against the darker colour.
Navy wings = better than no wings.

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Judging by the side panels on my 2014 Adelaide jumpers the navy is sublimated like the rest of the jumper. So, in theory there is no reason why they could not sublimate the yellow at the top to connect the wings. Whether they can work it out so the that transition from front to back looks good every time without any awkward misaligned wings is another question.
I really hope they can find a solution. It looks amateurish at the moment

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

Don't get me started on the logo, your original logo was timeless and should still be used, but that's probably for another thread.

Royal is a strong colour that contrasts well with gold.

I'd love to be given 5 minutes to make a presentation to the Eagles hierarchy. I'm not even an eagles supporter but I could convince them to drop navy, bring back the wings and bring back the old logo, I know I could.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
West-Coast-logo-1997.gif

I mean look at this absolute masterpiece.

Royal and gold contrast just fine here.

The current logo is a steaming pile of manure compared to this.

West coast were so far ahead of their time in terms of logo and guernsey design. Both were timeless masterpieces that were both the best in the league. To think that they changed to the current efforts makes me physically sick.

Sort your ******* life out West Coast you ******* campaigners

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
West-Coast-logo-1997.gif

I mean look at this absolute masterpiece.

Royal and gold contrast just fine here.

The current logo is a steaming pile of manure compared to this.

West coast were so far ahead of their time in terms of logo and guernsey design. Both were timeless masterpieces that were both the best in the league. To think that they changed to the current efforts makes me physically sick.

Sort your ******* life out West Coast you ******* campaigners
Just imagine how we feel. Hence #returnthewings

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
I think the current logo with royal blue would look good, I prefer the current eagles head to the older one, whether or not the stylized wing should stay I'm 50-50 on

Back