Roast The WCE Subi Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to admit I did prefer attending Eagles games in Melbourne, even though we did lose most of them for the 5 years I was there.

We don't take our team for granted over in the east :p

Plus I have nothing but admiration for those who travel over with the team when we take on the big teams. The noise during the West Coast v. Collingwood match was incredible, well at least where I was sitting and us 'away' fans gave as good as we got

Yes yes yes. Was gonna do a thread on this myself after Sunday but couldn't bring myself to think about it again.
After a few days I can talk about it now.
Best experience of Sunday nights game, the first I attended this year, was dinner at JB O'reillys afterward. Chicken hot pot Mmmmmm chicken :drunk:

Patterson's was like a library and I can really see why we are struggling there. Opposition supporters make up less than 10% of the crowd and make more noise, all game. One moment that pop's to mind was Harvey kicking a goal in the second qtr I think and the Roos supporters behind the goals, all 500 odd of them, chanted Boomer......Boomer......boomer. It was louder than any chant or applause the 30,000 odd eagles supporters could muster all game.
My mates and I started chants and cheering but got donuts from everyone around. Every now and then you hear the lone chanter in the crowd trying to gee up all the sandwich eating, coffee drinking mums and dads and pensioners only to receive the same donuts we were getting. Geez the most noise was reserved for the Aaaarrgghhh's and Oohhhs and Dooohs. It seemed the crowd preferred to boo mistakes than cheer their team on.

The Eagles would get better and louder support from a few thousand over east than at their home ground so it isn't a wonder why some of their away performances are better than home ones. Even if the atmosphere alone of the opposition crowds away would be better to play in front of than the crap dished out by their home supporters, no wonder they dished up the same crap on the field.

Not in any rush to go back there and watch a game. Hopefully the new stadium will inject some new supporters with energy and a bit of charisma to bring a louder more positive atmosphere for our team to play in front of.

Ahhh......finally got most of that of my chest.

Theres a solution out there to all your woes
A big bright soloution - heres how it goes
All you knitting oldies, youve been here to long
Lookin forward to some new blood at the dong

Subi oval is a dump, Its been under the pump
It smells like a sump, its a lot like forest gump
So put down your beer - stop sucking on that bong
Were flying high as a kite down the polly to the dong

Fred you old duffer, gladys you old dearie
Its time for the eagles to move their eyrie
Pack up your knitting while you sing the eagles song
Time to pack your bags we're movin down the the "DONG"

Eddie macguire, leigh matthews , darcehole and bt
Its time for a new home stop your vic bleating
Its time for our eagles and the fans to run amok
And if you dont like it you can go and get f#%^ed

Our crowd is made up of elderly who just don't cheer, or the rich and popular who attend matches to 'be noticed'.

Compare this to Dockers crowd, where a decade of terrible footy has bred out the soft bandwagoners from their members, only to leave a fan base who will stick through anything.
And the current west coast strategy suddenly reveals itself

Our crowd is made up of elderly who just don't cheer, or the rich and popular who attend matches to 'be noticed'.

Compare this to Dockers crowd, where a decade of terrible footy has bred out the soft bandwagoners from their members, only to leave a fan base who will stick through anything.

And the current west coast strategy suddenly reveals itself

So only 4 years of shitness to go then!

You go to any game when 99% of the crowd are for the one team, it's gonna be flat when the team is going bad.
Add the fact the whole 40,000 has been going to the game sitting in the same seats for 20 years. Do you get excited about weetbix every morning?

You go to any game when 99% of the crowd are for the one team, it's gonna be flat when the team is going bad.
Add the fact the whole 40,000 has been going to the game sitting in the same seats for 20 years. Do you get excited about weetbix every morning?

Nope - but conversely in a big year do you get excited by blowjobs every morning....

Yes

Yes

And mite yes

Sorry for the thread bump. I agree with a lot of the statements made in this thread, our supporter base is comfortably comprised of more elderly people then I'd like and I think that seriously impacts the overall experience at Subi. (Considering how shithouse Subi is, that says a lot).

I think that when the new stadium is built however our supporters demographic will change. I believe this for a number of points.

1) Oldies hate change. I've seen old people bitch because the crossword scratchie was replaced with a near identical one that had a different name and design. A new stadium will not please them.

2) Travel. I believe most oldies that attend the footy do so because its a convenient and easy trip out. Once the footy moves to the middle of the city I think the rigors of travel will effect them and most will drop off and watch at home. Allowing younger members to populate and dictate the atmosphere to greater effect.

3) There was a third point, but it alludes me :eek:

Overall though. The move to a new stadium should see membership levels change. Hopefully I can get a damn membership. I haven't even bothered applying knowing the waiting list and what not. This new stadium can't come quick enough for a myriad of reasons!

How dare older people enjoy any kind of activity that might interfere with the wants of the younger generation :rolleyes:

They ******* paid for their seat and most have done for 20+ years. They can sit there and knit/read the newpaper/have a nap til they drop of the perch for all I care.

You can cram the rah rah rah crap with walnuts.
I cringe as I type this but it is un-Australian.

If they do good, they're cheered.

When they do bad, they're not.

It has always been this way up until quite recently.
These days if you aren't some cheerleading, chanting, anthem singing ponce
you aren't doing your job as a spectator.

* that. I'm there to watch the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm well into my fifties, went to 2 games this year and have to agree the crowd is catatonic. The only noise around me one game was the woman next to me who got her 7 yr old to add 6pts to the score when someone kicked a goal. A couple of times when I jumped up and yelled something out everyone looked at me like i was an alien. It's not entirely an age thing either, the young guys were just as lame. I assumed it was just bad luck with the seats allocated to my in the wings membership but maybe not.
How the hell did we get the reputation as feral supporters.

I was given a membership for this year only so I went to nearly all home games (my sis went instead of me on one or two occasions).

Jesus Christ the pregame is bad. Karl Langdon quit your day job mate. It felt more like a circus than a footy match.

He was trying to get people to chant 'Go eagles go SGIO' at half time, and at 3 quarter time people were asked to dance.

No wonder we are a laughing stock for interstate fans.

The club's lack of self-awareness on this lame duck matchday experience is quite staggering.

Not the first time i've used staggering (and not in a good way) to describe WCE management performance.

I'm sure it won't be the last either...

TBH I don't know what people expect? I mean we are going there to watch our team play footy. I don't care about bloody half time entertainment, or how s**t the announcer is, or silly competitions they show on the big screen. Who really cares, if you are going to the footy to be entertained by anything other than the game itself, then you are at the wrong place.

The facilites are pretty rubbish, but unless you have issues with mobility, then so what if you have to walk a bit to take a piss or get a beer, if it's "too crowded:drunk:" then stay home. I for one look forward to every second week getting to go and have a few overpriced beers and watch the boys play, that's what I go for, not anything else. Go to the bloody big bash if you want f**king acrobats and flame throwers and music during the game.

I was given a membership for this year only so I went to nearly all home games (my sis went instead of me on one or two occasions).

Jesus Christ the pregame is bad. Karl Langdon quit your day job mate. It felt more like a circus than a footy match.

He was trying to get people to chant 'Go eagles go SGIO' at half time, and at 3 quarter time people were asked to dance.

No wonder we are a laughing stock for interstate fans.

I can't stand any of that crap. The most embarrassing part is when the recorded crowd sound effect drops off into total silence after 'go eagles go'.

I was at the Wallabies vs South Africa rugby game a few weeks back and the atmosphere is way different. No cheesy 'entertainment' and all of the fans get right into it, no matter whether the team is winning or losing.

TBH I don't know what people expect? I mean we are going there to watch our team play footy. I don't care about bloody half time entertainment, or how s**t the announcer is, or silly competitions they show on the big screen. Who really cares, if you are going to the footy to be entertained by anything other than the game itself, then you are at the wrong place.

The facilites are pretty rubbish, but unless you have issues with mobility, then so what if you have to walk a bit to take a piss or get a beer, if it's "too crowded:drunk:" then stay home. I for one look forward to every second week getting to go and have a few overpriced beers and watch the boys play, that's what I go for, not anything else. Go to the bloody big bash if you want f**king acrobats and flame throwers and music during the game.

Agreed. (Though Big Bash suffers because of all the other s**t going on while the game is playing.) It's cool for the first 10 minutes of play. Then it just gets annoying as *.

Because the ignorant campaigners in Melbourne think Perth is a "mining-town" as though it's Kalgoorlie.
Hence, the feral tag is automatically applied despite any evidence whatsoever.
Considering a stroll down James St after 10pm on any night will undoubtedly introduce you to a disgruntled meth abuser, I tend to agree with them.

Fwiw I really enjoy watching games in Melbourne and razzing the * out of opposition supporters, so I'm keen to tag along with anyone else on here in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back