Mega Thread The Welcome Thread - If you're new (or old) to BigFooty introduce yourself here

Remove this Banner Ad

MG, been here for nearly 2 1/2 years now.
15 km east of Chiang Rai.
You get out of the country a bit yourself don't you?
Yes, I've just been in Italy for 5 mths.
Got back a month ago:)
What are you doing there?

Did you check out the 'postcard' thread that 76 directed you to?
We love hearing from our overseas members and learning a little about their lives.

Yes, I've just been in Italy for 5 mths.
Got back a month ago:)
What are you doing there?

Did you check out the 'postcard' thread that 76 directed you to?
We love hearing from our overseas members and learning a little about their lives.
Thought I'd try and take my job back from India, but did a stopover and didn't feel like leaving!
My wife is running a restaurant and I help a bit there, do some teaching locally and tutoring online, and just started an arts degree, so pretty busy really. Four kids under 6 as well, so very busy in hindsight!
Back in April for six weeks, so get to a few games hopefully.
Social Club for 26 years now, good collection of medellions to complement of Fathers.

Hello There,

Like many, I've been reading these forums for a while but I thought it's time to emerge and put in my two cents.

1) Who do I barrack for? Collingwood

2) Who's my favourite Collingwood player? Current: Dane Swan All time: Mickey McGuane

3) What is my favourite Collingwood moment? Alan Didak's goal against Brisbane - 2003 Qualifying final

4) How did I come to be a Pies fan? Probably from my grandmother who knitted me my first scarf - thanks Gran!
Loved Micky. That day at Vic Park when he had four kicks in the first few minutes and they all dribbled along the ground.
Being from the country, playing u17's, then reserve football and training as well, I couldn't walk on Sundays. Now known as OP., back then grab the deep heat.

1) I barrack for Collingwood always have.
2) My favourite player of the current group is Dane Swan.
3) My favourite moment was a mark that John Greening took a game or two into his comeback at the G - I think it was against Richmond and when he landed there was a picture taken of him holding the ball on his fingertips with the sun as a backdrop. I was only young but it was an epic moment.
4) Lets just say its a family thing.

Hello all! :)
I'm a long time reader and I have finally decided to have a little input into the Bigfooty community. I hope you all like my ideas and opinions.
Favourite player: was Alan Didak, now is Dane Swan.
Favourite Collingwood moment: By far the 2010 prelim against the Cats. I was in the crowd that night and nothing will beat Pendlebury's second goal and that roar that was emitted. And also the COLLINGWOOD chant, unreal.
How did you become a Pies fan?: Born and raised.

Hello all! :)
I'm a long time reader and I have finally decided to have a little input into the Bigfooty community. I hope you all like my ideas and opinions.
Favourite player: was Alan Didak, now is Dane Swan.
Favourite Collingwood moment: By far the 2010 prelim against the Cats. I was in the crowd that night and nothing will beat Pendlebury's second goal and that roar that was emitted. And also the COLLINGWOOD chant, unreal.
How did you become a Pies fan?: Born and raised.

The 2010 prelim is a night I will never forget. 80k Pies fans in ecstatic union. Wonderful stuff.

Been on Big Footy for a while, but don't post too often. I'm in Hong Kong, and been here for the last 14 or so years (and was here also in the 90s for a few years). Try to watch games as often as possible, but of course not as easy as it would be living in Melbourne! Born & bred a 'Pies supporter, and have previously been a social club member when living in Melbourne (when we were still at Vic Park). Can't really say I have A favourite player, so over the years I'd name Ronnie Wearmouth, Bill Picken, Len Thompson, Darren Millane, Daics, Micky McGuane, Gavin Brown, and more recently Bucks (of course), James Clement, Swannie, Pendles, Elliott amongst my faves.....too many to mention! Favourite moments - over 2 weeks - were (1) drawing the first GF in 2010 as I was at my in-laws in Spain and unable to watch the game (after having been erroneously told they had the channel televising it, and then not being able to get online!) and then (2) being in Barcelona for the replay & watching it at a pub there. No sightseeing done that day, but it was a was brilliant day as far as I remember!

Been on Big Footy for a while, but don't post too often. I'm in Hong Kong, and been here for the last 14 or so years (and was here also in the 90s for a few years). Try to watch games as often as possible, but of course not as easy as it would be living in Melbourne! Born & bred a 'Pies supporter, and have previously been a social club member when living in Melbourne (when we were still at Vic Park). Can't really say I have A favourite player, so over the years I'd name Ronnie Wearmouth, Bill Picken, Len Thompson, Darren Millane, Daics, Micky McGuane, Gavin Brown, and more recently Bucks (of course), James Clement, Swannie, Pendles, Elliott amongst my faves.....too many to mention! Favourite moments - over 2 weeks - were (1) drawing the first GF in 2010 as I was at my in-laws in Spain and unable to watch the game (after having been erroneously told they had the channel televising it, and then not being able to get online!) and then (2) being in Barcelona for the replay & watching it at a pub there. No sightseeing done that day, but it was a was brilliant day as far as I remember!

Excellent favourites! Ronnie Wearmouth, saw him down in Port Fairy after he finished with the Pies. Was a playing coach of a local team, and a not very successful manager of a local pub.

Hi guys, obviously pies fans only
2 loved Leigh Carlson, Craig Davis and Peter Moore as a kid ...wrighty , jt , morwood, paul hawke also current players wittsy and keefey (have faith) ..
3 wrighty hip n shouldering n bumping 3 scum players on the boundary at vfl park in 1990 H&A as we belted the blues, surrounded by scum supporters in the stand I stood tall and could've taken em all on .. Anything daics did .. P moore brownlow (shattered wen he went to dees) hi hopes for darce ..1990 and 2010 gfs ..heaters smother on cry baby reiwoldt .
4 Peter Moore visiting our local mcdonalds store , as a 5yr old looking up to the giant and listening to him speak was like he's my favorite .so I got a number 30 on my sewn woolen jumper ( we couldnt afford the real deal) and pretended 2 be him in the schoolyard .

$_57.JPG

"I'm lost"

Hello everyone. I was born in Melbourne, but at 15 was dragged away to Queensland and really struggled in what was basically an AFL-free zone at the time. Things have improved in the expansion states for fans since then, however it can still take some getting used to. I've actually set up a website called The Footy Expat to help supporters in QLD and NSW keep in touch with their footy.

Anyway, enough with the intro. Here are my responses:

1) Who do you barrack for?
Collingwood.
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player?
Can't go past Pendles. So smooth and classy. Seems to have more time than most and always makes the right choice.
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment?
I was at VFL Park in the 1990 Qualifying Final draw when Peter Daicos kicked that checkside from the boundary. Unbelievable!
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan?
Very much a family thing, stretching right back to the start.

Good idea to have a thread like this where people are encouraged to introduce themselves. Here's to a successful 2015 for the Mighty Maggies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey there all Magpie fans.

New member from sunny Adelaide.

Favourite players have been ricky barham when I was youn, then on to wrighty and McGuane. Now, probably Steele and I hope that JT can have a healthy season. He was good in 2013 when he had a clean run.

Favourite moments obviously 90 and 10 GF's. Was also there for McGuane's run.

The reason is a longer story. Moved to Aus in 78, and at the time the US teams that we barracked for basically had the colliwobble disease, so it seemed natural to follow the woodsmen. It didn't hurt that we lived in Collingwood.

Bring on 2015

My first post, as I sit here awaiting the start of another season...finally. Thanks for the welcome guys.
1) I am a Collingwood supporter, and for the moment at least I am a thoroughly optimistic one.
2) Favourite player is Pendles. Him and Daisy were the twin rays of hope in some dark days, and Pendles still shines on.
3) Favourite CFC moment? It's hard to go past 2010, specifically the Didak smother and goal, but mutecake above mentioned McGuane's ambling goal in 1994. I remember that glorious goal and that gentle sunny day, and it was indeed a fine moment.
4) Barracking for Collingwood is an inherited privilege.

As I type the Pies have made a sluggish start against the Hawks in Tassie, but I feel good that things will get better from here.

Happy to be here.

1. A Collingwood supporter of course
2. All time favourite player Nathan Buckley - current player Dane Swan, other old favourites Peter McKenna,Fabulous Phil Carman and Peter Daicos.
3. Watching Daicos kick 13 at Carrara plus the 1990 AND 2010 Premierships
4. My family came from Collingwood living not far from Lou Richards.

I'm a long time Collingwood member and Bigfooty lurker. I thought I join up before we win a premiership in the next few years so I would't appear to be jumping on the bandwagon.

Go Pies.

Hi all,

As a long time reader (but infrequent poster), just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

As for the questions,

1. Collingwood of course
2. Has to be Swanny (to me I think he walks on water)!
3. Tough one, but probably the 2002 qualifying final against port. I was there and the game had everything, Benny Johnson's tackle, Licca was brilliant - so good!
4. The whole family is Collingwood (in fact my grandfather use to live in Lulie st)

Looking forward to talking to you all and of course, go pies!

Hi guys!

Long time lurker...:)

Aussie born and bred. Way back in '95 my family and I moved to Croatia to live and still residing. Proud president/captain/player of the Slavonski Brod Tigers: http://hr-hr.facebook.com/brodtigers, http://brodtigers.wix.com/brodtigers. Why Tigers you say? Well because Ivan Maric is the ambassador to the Croatian Knights national footy team and mainly because I wasn't the founder of the club :)

1. The Mighty Pies!
2. Sav Rocca
3. Have to say 1990 GF
4. Father-Son

Cheers!

Hey everyone bothering to read this!

I've been on Bigfooty for years, mainly reading posts about my local league and dropping into this board for some opinions and what not. I've posted on a few things over the years but decided why not start posting now?!

Favourite player?: Over the years I've had three numbers on my back #36 for the big man Saverio Rocca, was followed by a strange liking for #8 James Clement but was a instant fan of Scott Pendlebury and now have the #10.

Favourite Collingwood moment?: Tied between Beating Geelong in the Prelims whilst at the ground in 2010 or beating Hawthorn in the prelims the following year and also being in attendance. Last years come back from behind ANZAC day game is also a dead set close second!

How did you become a Pies fan?: My mum loved her Magpies. Would always have Rex Hunt and Sam Newman blaring on the radio whilst ironing clothes and cleaning the house back in the day. My brother then took me to games when I was old enough, never looked back.

Do we have an 'ask the mods' thread? I want to ask about their personal lives, and do they have to read everything everyone writes, and how they do it and live a life, and all that.... sort of stuff ....! How demanding is the life of a mod?

I am not so much new as reinvented. My signature shows the passage taken by my username. My favourites are this name and 'MyManDawes', a player in the right form, in the right place at an opportune time - in 2010. Like my beloved Gatsby, Dawes is not a Collingwood player, and it's there the similarities between the two men end.

The avatar drew me back to this username. PieEyed took my original avatar and improved the photoshopping. I asked him if it was OK to use this Grundy work. Many thanks because the avatar becomes a statement in itself. I had forgotten the feeble life-force afforded me by my former username's, magpie-head avatar. This identity is comfortable. :)

Hi there TGG, a few answers from me.

Do we have an 'ask the mods' thread? I want to ask about their personal lives, and do they have to read everything everyone writes, and how they do it and live a life, and all that.... sort of stuff ....! How demanding is the life of a mod?

It can be demanding, but not always. I certainly dont read everything posted, and there are some threads I never look at (for me, the word association thread). We usually rely on people reporting other posts/posters, if there is a problem, or we pick it up ourselves. We generally have a sense of when things are going (or about to go) pear-shaped on the Board, and step up our involvement when that happens. Re life balance - I have a fairly demanding full time job (e.g. doing quite a bit of work from home this Easter), a family (grown up children and a granddaughter), a patient Cats-supporting husband who is tolerant of the time I put into BF, and am otherwise busy doing normal things. But BF does cut into my 'free' time by quite a margin! Saying that, I love Collingwood and love communing with Collingwood fans (for the most part:D), and really enjoy interacting with posters on here.

I am not so much new as reinvented. My signature shows the passage taken by my username. My favourites are this name and 'MyManDawes', a player in the right form, in the right place at an opportune time - in 2010. Like my beloved Gatsby, Dawes is not a Collingwood player, and it's there the similarities between the two men end.

Love your avatar! And I should have picked up on the Gatsby thing. The Great Gatsby is in my top 5 books of all time. I absolutely love all Scott Fitzgerald's work. 'Tender is the night' is another favourite. His ability to capture the decadence and dissipation of upper class American society in the first decades of the twentieth century was just extraordinary. A truly great writer on universal themes.

Hello friends,

I'm a pies man, through and through, although living in CBR I do have a GWS membership. Enjoying watching the kids come through (until they snatch a GF from us....).

Love Pendles (so much time!) but I really enjoy watching Brown and Toovey, just love the old fashion way they go about it.

Fave moment? Walking out of the Gabba last night haha!!! Otherwise ANZAC Day 2008.

When I was a young fella I didn't have much interest in footy, and one day when I was about 8 I was at a mates house, and his old man asked me who I barracked for. Err, what does barrack mean? Well, his old man tells me in no uncertain terms that in his house everyone was a pies supporter. 12 months later we won the 90 flag and I was hooked. Mick, where ever you are, thanks mate, I appreciate you showing me the way.

Hi there TGG, a few answers from me.

It can be demanding, but not always. I certainly dont read everything posted, and there are some threads I never look at (for me, the word association thread). We usually rely on people reporting other posts/posters, if there is a problem, or we pick it up ourselves. We generally have a sense of when things are going (or about to go) pear-shaped on the Board, and step up our involvement when that happens. Re life balance - I have a fairly demanding full time job (e.g. doing quite a bit of work from home this Easter), a family (grown up children and a granddaughter), a patient Cats-supporting husband who is tolerant of the time I put into BF, and am otherwise busy doing normal things. But BF does cut into my 'free' time by quite a margin! Saying that, I love Collingwood and love communing with Collingwood fans (for the most part:D), and really enjoy interacting with posters on here.

Love your avatar! And I should have picked up on the Gatsby thing. The Great Gatsby is in my top 5 books of all time. I absolutely love all Scott Fitzgerald's work. 'Tender is the night' is another favourite. His ability to capture the decadence and dissipation of upper class American society in the first decades of the twentieth century was just extraordinary. A truly great writer on universal themes.
I loved The Great Gatsby and anything Fitgerald wrote. He is my favourite author.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back