Mega Thread The Welcome Thread - If you're new (or old) to BigFooty introduce yourself here

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day all I've been supporting the Pies all my life. I grew up in Geelong and hate the handbaggers with a passion that is only exceeded by my hatred of Carlton and my love of the Pies.

Favorite Pies player that I can remember is Barry Price of the current crop, I cant go past Sidebottom (he is going to be very special in the next couple of years). But there are literally dozens of great and not so great players that I've followed over the years. From Tuddy, to Ricky Barham, from Daicos to Swanny and all in between.

My favorite Collingwood moment will always be beating Geelong in the 2010 Prelim. I think I could have died that night and said my life was complete. That was as perfect a game as I've ever seen.

Aside from the Pies, I love rock guitar and in particular the man in black in the avatar. You'll either know who he is or you won't - no point explaining.

I write and do SEO stuff for a living.

Cheers

And if you want to know what the pies mean to me , I wrote this a while back

G'day all I've been supporting the Pies all my life. I grew up in Geelong and hate the handbaggers with a passion that is only exceeded by my hatred of Carlton and my love of the Pies.

Welcome!

Favorite Pies player that I can remember is Barry Price ...

IIRC, he's running the Peter Daicos academy (Collingwood's father / son academy)

Aside from the Pies, I love rock guitar and in particular the man in black in the avatar.

Don't mind a bit of Roy Orbison myself, but don't ever remember him getting that wild with a guitar :oops:

And if you want to know what the pies mean to me , I wrote this a while back

Sweet story

Yes, I'm a Collingwood tragic.

Favourite player, mmmm Pendlebury.

Favourite Collingwood moment, would be our biggest winning margin, 179 points again St.kilda, I think round 6 1979. 31-21-207 to 3-11-29. I was worried after Trevor Barker kicked the opening goal of the game for the saints.

I became a Collingwood tragic when my dad took me to a practice match at Victoria Park in 1972.

Favourite Collingwood moment, would be our biggest winning margin, 179 points again St.kilda, I think round 6 1979. 31-21-207 to 3-11-29. I was worried after Trevor Barker kicked the opening goal of the game for the saints.

I became a Collingwood tragic when my dad took me to a practice match at Victoria Park in 1972.

Love your avatar. Thats one of my favourite images of Vic Park. We have actually used it at my work, when giving advice on the Social Club Building, and the Bob Rose Stand (behind Tuddy). Also love Tuddy, looking threatening, standing over ??? from Carlton, and the old 'DUNLOP' signage. A ripper!

I love your avatar, and I love your Collingwood memory, not least because it goes back a bit further than my own. I've been privileged to witness some big victories, but nothing like that. It would have been beautiful to have seen Trevor Barker in full flight as well. I've mostly only seen clips of players like him and Robbie Flower, and they really were poets on the footy field.

Why not introduce yourself by letting us know a little about yourself.

G'day! Great to be a part of the BigFooty community. Known of the site through friends & family for a while now and finally decided to sign up. I'm 26, from Melbourne's north- west and have been a sporting tragic my whole life, whether watching, playing, listening or discussing. In addition to Aussie Rules, I'm an avid follower of the major US sports (namely the NFL), as well as cricket & rugby. I grew up playing footy, basketball & golf and am still really passionate about health & fitness.

1) Who do you barrack for? (hint anything but Collingwood ends with a banzhammer)

Collingwood FC.

2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player?

Current: Jack Frost.
All- time: James Clement & Nathan Buckley.

... I like defenders.

3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment?

2002 Qualifying Final v. PA at Football Park. I have seen Collingwood win a Grand Final, but this match, not only being one of the most epic contests I've ever seen, is the moment I truly fell in love with the Collingwood Football Club. I was 13 years old, and whilst I had been a Pies supporter for a long time, I'd been too young to fully understand what a football club means to someone. That changed this night. It was the first final I had seen us play in, our first since '94, coming off a complete re- build under Malthouse. No one gave us a chance against the Power who had finished on top, whilst we had barely clung on to 4th spot. I cried. One of the great wins in Magpie history. I still have a copy of the match on VHS in my room.

4) How did you come to be a Pies fan?

I would have been about 5 when I made the decision. My father and his family were (and still are!) fanatical Collingwood, whilst my mother and her family were predominantly Carlton. Couldn't tell you the reason why, but we were on a family holiday in Ocean Grove and I went to Dad one day and said that I wanted to follow Collingwood.

Oh and last, but definitely not least, welcome to the Collingwood forum on BigFooty :thumbsu:

Cheers. Carn' the Woods! Exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
I follow the pies although some of the players on our list really don't appeal to me. I'm a big fan of Steele I think the way he plays so aggressively and just seems unstoppable. Best Collingwood moment Neon Leon snaps around the body with minutes to go in the 2010 grand final to grab momentum back. Born a pies fan.

Hi Guys,

Been watching this forum for a while and thought it's about time I join in

1. Barrack for the pies
2. Current player - Elliott (All time - Sav)
3. Favorite moment was The first half of the 2010 preliminary final
4. Old man was a pies fan playing in Glenorchy, Tas (Magpies) in the 60's. Moved to QLD in the 80's had us kids and made it his life mission to make
everyone a Pies fans up there

Moved to Abbotsford in 2013, and work in Melbourne for the sole purpose of being close Vic Park and the G

Welcome 5_F!

A Glenorchy boy, I know the place well and I was just there last week. My brother is involved in the club and lives a few hundred metres from the ground of our fellow Magpies. I think he mentioned Aaron Cornelius may be a player/coach there but has a pretty bad injury at the moment, maybe a knee or serious foot injury. I was a Lauderdale boy myself but don't ever link that with Mitch Robinson!

Anyway welcome to the board and look forward to seeing you around.

Hey guys, been a long time reader of the magpies threads, now I thought I'd get involved a bit more.

1. Barrack for the pies
2. Current player - Cloke. (All time Bucks and Didak)
3. Favourite Moment - 2010 Premiership win, one of the best days of my life!
4. Was born in 1990 and Mum and Grandparents both barracked for the pies, so I was born into it.

Go Pies!

The 'Pies were my Australian father's team - so they became mine. I never saw them play live until I was in my late teens as we did not live in Melbourne.

My favorite player would be Des Tuddenham - he had his ups and downs in life, but was a man's man, true to his beliefs, tough as nails, and imo illustrates the true grit of the Collingwood Football Club.

Plus, any player with a hair bun would not be on Des's team. I mean, if you have long hair you wear a head-band bandana, like we did in the '60's. Flowers in your hair are optional.

I went back Stateside (US mom) in my late '20's and forgot about Aussie Rules. But when I retired 4 years ago I have been spending more time back in Oz (currently here, but flying out next week) and I have got back into it. I enjoy this Board as it helps me fast track back into the footy zeitgeist/vibes again.

PS I met 76WoodenSpooners in the little town in north Arizona I was living in at that time, a year or so ago, and we shot the breeze footy-wise. The chances of that (small town meet-up) were long odds, so I went out and bought a lottery ticket. I didn't win, so 76 - you owe me a beer :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, have been watching this board for like ages now but now would like to get involved in things with my fellow Pies supporters every now and then!

Favourite Magpies players would have to be Didak, Swanny, Pendles, Burns, Rocca and Bucks. There are others such as Carey and Ablett Jr but they are not Pies players. So many great legends that I have had the privelidge to watch!

Favourite moment would easily be the 2010 GF Replay, first time in my life time that I seen our great club win a Grand Final.

I became a Collingwood supporter after my brother in law got me to barrack for them. I was a North supporter and after they won the 1999 GF, I had met him. He definitely got me enticed to Collingwood and the prospect of joining the army had me even more excited. Even as a youngster I knew North just had no supporter base and everyone that did barrack for them were bandwagon jumpers. Felt even better going from a premiership team to the bottom team as I felt it was going to be a great journey. Definitely wasn't wrong and best decision ever!

1. Pies. Grew up in Perth in a West Coast household, moved to Melbourne in April this year.
2. Pendlebury - seems to glide across the ground, tremendous composure and awareness, particularly for the big moments in a game
3. 2010 Prelim
4. Hard to say really as, like most of my sporting teams, they chose me. I grew up in a strong West Coast supporting family and wasn't really given a choice, it was just assumed. I can be a bit of a contrarian though and was just drawn to the Pies

The great mans debut game.

Hello Zeke
You've been around a long time

I started the same year as this little fella:

679649-travis-cloke.jpg

And after long time watching the forums, I thought I made my appearance too.
Born and bred in Holland, didn't like AFL when I landed here in 2004. Didn't like the Victorians who ignored that and asked me to pick a team anyway .
After a few yrs I found out that nobody wanted me to go for Collingwood. Add another few years, they threatened that if I said I am a Pie fan, nobody would talk to me. Fantastic I thought, they would finally shut up.
2010 was not the right year to try out that tactic. They lied. Once labelled black and white, it is hard to escape attention.
But we Dutch are a stubborn lot , not afraid to upset a few people and being a MagPie suited me just fine.
Slowly getting the hang of the game, the ins and outs and it is sort of time where I can add something useful to the BF board.

Pica

Remove this Banner Ad

Back