Johnno22

Club Legend
Feb 8, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Carlton
I really find Wellingham a total enigma as to where he sits within our list.
WCE traded pick 18 in 2012 for Wellingham and at this point in time you would have to judge it as a very large bust.

A brief look back over his career may somewhat explain his current status in the game and on the WC list.
He was first recruited at pick 10 in the 2007 Rookie Draft by Collingwood. He debuted in 2009 and quickly became a fan favourite playing sixth or seventh fiddle to a Super A class midfield. Wikipedia said of him " His pace, foot skills, overhead marking and ferocity at the contest became valuable assets to the magpies' side."
This is hardly the present case.

During his five year stint at Collingwood he averaged only 18 Possessions a game and in no year did he exceed an average of over 19 possessions and .06 of a goal. In fact his highest goal kicking tally in any one year was only 17, so it would have been hard to justify his spot in the team as a goal kicking forward/mid.

It was off field that he attracted a fair bit of attention, maintaining a high social profile and hanging with the "boys" and resulted in a drink driving conviction and $5000 club fine. This is when things stated to go wrong at Collingwood and he was told to grow up and toughen up on field. His response was his cheap hit on Kade Simpson which netted a five week suspension.

When recruited by WC the expectations were that he would move into our stagnating midfield and have an immediate impact and we all know what happened. A self inflicted injury on a trampoline ended any reasonable start to his career at the Eagles and it would be well into the 2013 season before we saw any return on our investment.

The 2014 season went from bad to worst for Wellingham when he struggled with form and attitude and was dropped from the team on 3 occasions before a stint at East Perth and injury ended his season.

In a 6PR's Sports Today program Wellingham was quoted:
"I was in a little bit of a form slump and that was due to to me being a little bit lazy. You're playing at peak level and if you are not on 100% of the time , you get found out pretty quickly and I wasn't quite pulling my weight"
"It's nothing new. It's switching off and doing all those things that you need to grow out of. When I'm not fully concentrating I can find myself drifting in and out of games which you can't really do these days"

Conclusion.
Wellingham is still immature as a person and a footballer and I am not convinced that this will change any time soon. The dilemma for the club is that we invested pick 18 into him and are not likely to see any trade deal that will return anything close to this . So where to from here, as I see no permanent position in the current team , not forward , not midfield, not tagging and certainly not up back.

Looks like a prolonged stint at East Perth till he grows up and recognises the opportunity afforded him.

Wellingham is a certainty in our best 22 if he is played in the right spot. He is not an inside mid he is an outside mid. He should be a wingman and nothing more than that. He has sublime skills and those attributes need to be used.
He has not performed well for us as yet, no one can argue with this. But he has been played as a top class midfielder which is not his role. The reason he was pretty good without being exceptional at Collingwood was because he had gun players around him. This is not the case at West Coast.
But still I would choose him in any midfield role any day of the week ahead of Selwood, Masten, Rosa, Shepherd.
I am hoping he stands up next year, if he doesn't then his career will be over.

For my take on Wellingham : he no doubt has raw talent and at his best would be a real asset to the side and deffinately best 22.
However thus far he has not delivered although he has shown random glimpses of what he is capable of , sadly just not often enough.

This is the last year of his 3 year contract .

I would hope that Simpson would sit him down and deliver a very blunt message to him . That he has 12 months to firstly regain his spot in the teams best 22 and show why he should be kept in the list at the end of season 2015.
If he can't up the ante and show better production that what he has shown thus far then it goodby .

I suspect that he returned to WA thinking that things would just fall into place for him and I don't think he has put in the hard yard in , neither do I think that his attitude has been what it should have been . I say this because I was particularly disappointed with his half arsed efforts when sent back to East Perth.

If he isn't going to put in 100% then be is a bad example at the Club and should be moved on .

Some may think this a harsh assessment but I firmly believe he need a massive kick up the arse. Nothing pisses me of more than to see talented footballers not put in and then see absolute tries that don't have the talent miss out and get cut from a list.

Imwas worried when he left collyflog and they interviewed one of the assisstant coaches and he didnt give a s**t

Said he was to unreliable - in and out of games etc - really hope he turns it around
So not much has changed in his seven year career. Last chance on what may end up a wasted talent.

It's time to admit the trade didn't work out. Will struggle to get a game in 2015. Will play out most of the year for East Perth unless he is traded.

Cut our losses and trade him ! He doesn't have a defensive game unless he is tagging, I think he has skills but to be frank I just don't like him ! Trade Him !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has raw talent but he is a lazy footballer. I think his value was artificially raised by being at Collingwood. Being surrounded by elite talent makes your average plodder look like an A-Grader. Simmo clearly isn't happy with him so I bet he has been given an ultimatum of shape up or ship out and I think that is fair enough.

On the other hand his chances of making it for us don't have to be that high for him to be worth pick 18. Historical success rates of draft picks between 11 and 20 is surprisingly low.

No doubt he has the talent to make it, a "switched on" Wellingham is a great asset. Unfortunately for us he is the same player now he was at Collingwood, I assume that with greater responsibility we thought he would shine but it seems he has not improved his consistency. He is a very good off the bench 4-5th string midfielder/HF but we need him to be our number 2-3.

I don't think he's has the engine to be permanent midfielder

Or you could say he's lazy if he des have the fitness

High half forward...not all enough but is ok overhead

Half back with pace might be spot

Has ability and will come good

Didn't he generally play half forward at the Pies?
Don't think he played much if any mid for them and his best returns were as a forward. Didn't watch a lot of Pies games when he was there just against us, finals and Friday night games but this is my recollection anyway. If so, maybe he isn't really a fit for midfield but if need be then nothing more than a forward floating wing.

Don't think he played much if any mid for them and his best returns were as a forward. Didn't watch a lot of Pies games when he was there just against us, finals and Friday night games but this is my recollection anyway. If so, maybe he isn't really a fit for midfield but if need be then nothing more than a forward floating wing.

He played in the middle when the Pies were down on midfielder at one point and actually did pretty well. But for some reason he has lost that hunger and determination.

Seventeen goals is the most he has kicked in a season, so not too flash if that us the case.

Last edited:
Cut our losses and trade him ! He doesn't have a defensive game unless he is tagging, I think he has skills but to be frank I just don't like him ! Trade Him !

He has little value. He has benefited from added exposure at West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back